• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

head torch

I also have 2 Cree head torches which are fantastic for lighting everything up:D
I also have a Cree lantern for my bivy but the only probem with that is it's like sitting in a tanning booth :D

Personally I think the Cree should be banned to all barbel fishermen ;):D.

I own one and unless you're trying to hit the spot 100 yards away then all well and good. Great torch for the maintain biker or runner. It has no place on small rivers imo.

There is nothing worse when anglers walk past you with an over the top headtorch lighting up everything in sight. Even worse when he or she (trying not be sexist) stop and ask you if you've had any, and don't turn the bl**dy thing off. My usual response is "no mate". They reply "nor me". Reason, because you've buggered my swim and probably buggered your's too. :rolleyes:

Get an Energizer or splash out an extra few quid and get an Alpkit.

Rant over....:D

Edit: Green is the new white....take note.

Last edited:
I prefer the Alpkit the Cree was too bright for me.

I recently broke my Petzl and bought the 6 led energizer, I can't see me using it for Long as its too uncomfortable.

I have had my cree for over a year and in practice its been light years ahead(pardon the pun) of my standard LED, then again I can see the probs for smaller rivers, but then again its how you put the light to use.
Bought 10 last month at £3.65 each and free delivery, sold all bar one to fellow anglers and cyclists.

Bit late to join this one I know but for what it's worth I use a PETZL Zipka 3 LED, which is discreet enough on the bank yet bright enough for the walk back. Had it for a couple of years and only changed the batteries twice!!
I also like the fact that there are no bulky straps, just a very discreet and comfortable 'Zipline' and pad which you can wear under your hat allowing the peak to shield the light from the water or can be attached to a storm pole or other static object due to the retractable nature of the zipline. The new version also has a red light although not tried one yet.

energiser is good used it for a few years but going to try some thing else as it kills my head after a bit

The bog standard Energiser with 2 white and 1 red LED is great, mine's still going strong after about 8 years service and only on it's second set of batteries. The new one with 6 LED's does look nice though.

True but with a higher output, the batteries don't last so long. £6 in Asda at the moment. A more fancy alternative is the chub marketed by sportfish - very versatile according to the blurb.

Don't know if the Millets stores are a national company , but in York they currently have 40% off all stock . Petzel head torch £11 -bargain , super light

I have had my cree for over a year and in practice its been light years ahead(pardon the pun) of my standard LED, then again I can see the probs for smaller rivers, but then again its how you put the light to use.
Bought 10 last month at £3.65 each and free delivery, sold all bar one to fellow anglers and cyclists.

Its had no effect whatsoever on my local river I actually tried a night with a standard 3 led light and kept it to a minimum use and did just as good when I was all over place with the Cree (maybe that could just be that the stretch of river is not affected by it?) but I have a stealthy approach when I fish another stretch where the fish seem to be a little more wise.
Regards

Just bought an Energizer cree headlight for £19.97 inc postage off fleabay.It is as bright as hell but it can be dimmed, it also has a none flashing red button for night vision.It is powered by ONE aa Lithium battery. Only used it once as yet but found it very comfatable on the head in use. Recommended.

Mick

Back