• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

head torch

Paul, i suppose it all depends on how bright the light is, the batteries in my energizer last quite a while, but i wouldn,t say it was the brightest of lights. Just got a couple of the CREE LED ones as recommended by Jon. Absolutely amazing power for such a cheap light, filled it with 3 duracell and haven,t stopped messing with it ( i work nights :D ), so far, it hasn,t lost any power. It also has a halve power mode to safe battery life.

looking to buy a new head torch looking to spend £30.00 any suggestion its a good walk over 2 fields to the pegs i fish so need some thing with a good beam and there could be a few obsticles on the way there and back:D

i have got a petzl tikka which has an awsome beam on it so great for long walks, but the only downside is it does not have a red light on it which are great as they do not make u lose ur natural night vision like a bright white light, does,
i also have a chub sat a lite 200 which i take and would recomend as it is a great bit of kit with white spot beam wide beam and red beam so will cover everything u need :D

Just got my Cree today......bright light!. Were they designed for spotting low-flying aircraft? I thing I'll stick to my Energiser for use on the bank (especially for the red light) and use the Cree for cycling.

i have got a petzl tikka which has an awsome beam on it so great for long walks, but the only downside is it does not have a red light on it which are great as they do not make u lose ur natural night vision like a bright white light, does,
i also have a chub sat a lite 200 which i take and would recomend as it is a great bit of kit with white spot beam wide beam and red beam so will cover everything u need :D

Dave, the brightest petzl i,ve found has 80 lumens of light, the 2 CREE lights i,ve just got have 300 lumens each. Just found a couple more on ebay with 500 lumens for the princely sum of £6.98 each inc p&p. You could use these things for spotting new planets :D They also have an adjustable beam, from flood to spot and anywhere in between. I believe CREE LED are the next generation of LED lighting. When they hit the shops proper over here ( there being imported from hong kong/china ) at the moment, they,ll probably cost a small fortune to begin with. Get on ebay NOW and get yourself one, i promise you won,t be disappointed. :)

Derek,

I second that, mine has just been delivered from china.
It could be used to help small aircraft land its that bright! :D

i came across the cree light about 2 seasons ago through a good friend, previously using a petzl type. In comparison to the cree, well its like using a candle. A friend of mine uses a cree to lamp for rabbits.
I am also wondering what the price hike will be when they hit the streets here.

They are indeed amazingly bright and you should be able to even use them to make contact with little green men :D

That said do any of you know what the battery life is like on the Cree? As I am currently still using my Lenser with my Cree as a spare/backup only.

My Petzl gives out 50 lumens, has a red light and is bright enough for anything i do.

Having looked at the Cree lamps (500 lumen) i'm impressed, can't help think it'll frighten the life out anything in the vicinity on a dark night, fish especially if its pointed anywhere near the water, probably blind your mate if you shine it there way too.

Must chew through the batteries

does go through a few batteries it also has another setting for a dimmer light love my cree :)

I'll have to take a look at that new toy Gaz!

I agree with the comments about the Petzl headlamps - great while actually fishing, but not so clever when you are trying to negotiate rough terrain on the way back to the car. I have been looking to get something brighter and by the looks of this thread i need look no further. Nice one chaps. :)

I've just taken delivery of my Alpkit head torch, very impressed - an excellent bit of kit :)

Ian.

Just found another Fantastic use for my CREE, ( i drive a hackney cab ) when i get a call to an address, instead of blasting the horn during the early hours and waking the neighbours up. I simply put my CREE onto strobe mode and aim in through the customers window. Jobs a goodun. :D

My second cree head light arrived today which was good but i found a problem with them in heavy rain, last night i found that water gets in via the glass lense so i am going to put a seel around the lense to stop it happening!!

I have been looking at the cree lanterns for my bivy, anyone got one??

I'll have to take a look at that new toy Gaz!

I agree with the comments about the Petzl headlamps - great while actually fishing, but not so clever when you are trying to negotiate rough terrain on the way back to the car. I have been looking to get something brighter and by the looks of this thread i need look no further. Nice one chaps. :)

Just walk behind Gaz:eek:, I could av turned mine off last ngt, his lit up all the field, excellent for walking, probably good for rabbit lamping aswel:D:D

Back