• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

head torch

Gary Wagstaff

looking to buy a new head torch looking to spend £30.00 any suggestion its a good walk over 2 fields to the pegs i fish so need some thing with a good beam and there could be a few obsticles on the way there and back:D

I've said it on other threads, but this is my favourite. Still going strong on the same batteries after over a year. Dead cheap too with the price including batteries...

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/

Cheers
Adam

These are excellent and for the price you could buy a back up. If not the energiser is also very good.

The bog standard Energiser with 2 white and 1 red LED is great, mine's still going strong after about 8 years service and only on it's second set of batteries. The new one with 6 LED's does look nice though.

the energiser is good value for money gaz , i have 1 myself , but i must admit to only using it in the summer months .
the red led doesnt attract the flying critters the same as a white light

come the cooler nights , i revert back to my trusty petzl tikka plus , maybe a tad over the £30 you want to spend , but they are very well made and throw a good flood light on dark nights , mine has been shedding light on the subject for the best part of 10 years

if you are on a budget , go for the energizer , if price isnt an issue , its petzl evey time for me

edit* another thing to consider is the middle strap that are present in the 2 links provided above .

i like to pull my torch down around my neck when not in use , it wouldnt be possible if the head band had the middle piece

Last edited:
Being on a budget myself I have both the Energiser and the Alpkit Gamma. The battery will last longer with the Energiser. However the spot light is stronger on the Gamma. Both have a red light to help with night vision and keep the bugs away. The Gamma also has a green light which I've found usefull when having to change a rig etc.

LED Lenser H7R rechargable is one of the best bits of kit i have bought. Not cheap by any standards but worth the extra outlay - I was very hesitant but so glad i took the plunge. Available on Amazon for £38 but i got mine off ebay for just over £35 by waiting a while. It lasts ages per charge (says 75 hours). I have done all nighters in winter and there is still plenty left ( I run the batteries down after a long session and it takes a good few hours on full power to do so) It has the ability to focus the beam anywhere between wide to spot, so you can set it how you like. The power is fully adjustable from between low(which is about the same as my old energiser) up to high which announces your presence to anyone within a ten mile radius:). At about mid power the beam really penetrates into the water which is great for spotting fish ready for landing them.

The core of this is based on a CREE led light chip, so there may be a lot cheaper alternatives knocking about now. I have since bought a small CREE flashlight from china for work for a tenner, so headlamps should be obtainable too.

Last edited:
look on flea bay for a good led lenser had mine 6 years now very robust n strong,now available in different variations too. i paid around 24 quid.
as a back up i have an energisor(which i have never needed to use) again ebay....argos clearence....4 quid.:D

bought one

went for the alpkit gamma £12.99 inc post next day inc 3 batteries duracell .tried it last night am well impresssed for the money .thanks everybody for there imput and advice
gaz

There is a good one in Netto aka the Garlic Spam wholesaler, going for £2.50.

went for the alpkit gamma £12.99 inc post next day inc 3 batteries duracell .tried it last night am well impresssed for the money .thanks everybody for there imput and advice
gaz

Hi Gaz,
Agree with the fields, if they are the ones im thinking about;) I know u'v already bought one but I swear by the tikka plus, had mine years, never let me down once. Had a Nash one once, packed up within 6 mnths:mad: Are you out this wk/end with all this rain comin down, should be good conditions;)

Tesco's are knocking out the energiser at £2.99 atm , my local store was sold out but I don't really need a new one yet anyway.

I must have half a dozen of those energiser jobs, they are unbeatable for the price, I have also got a petzel which I retrieved when an angling companion dumped it because it was dim:rolleyes:, .Not so dim as him as it happens, three new batteries later and it's been my back up light for ten years or more.

petzl

Got to be a petzl, should be able to find one of the Tikka's for that money.
Built to last, long run time and good weather resistance, plus for around £3 you can get coloured filters, red, green and a spare clear one.
Stewart

Last edited:
Back