• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

Perhaps you can "take" a few of the wild boar around this way Nick.

Really damaging the fauna

wish i could but getting the 'legal' permission is very difficult and legislation is a bit confused with feral animals and their legal status/ownership

i have seen the damage caused by feral hogs and as you say it destroys the eco system

sooner or later somebody is going to get killed by these feral hogs - they have already attacked walkers dogs (in fairness dogs were seen as a threat especially with piglets)

each successive generation seems to revert more and more to the wild 'strain'

i know quite a few people who have hunted wild boar in Eastern Europe and they are bloody dangerous beasts - well able to kill an adult if they feel threatened or with piglets

look at the problems with feral hogs in the USA and Aus - they have reached epidemic populations and are destroying entire eco systems

the problem shooting them is that they are built like a tank and need a proportionally more powerful rifle than comparatively sized deer - also most of the hunting is in woodland often with public access like the Forest of Dean so public safety precludes most shooting as with these weapons you need a safe backstop should you miss or the round goes through and through ( backstop would be say high ground within say 100m to stop the round)

these rounds are lethal at over 1 mile!!!! - snipers have used these rounds to kill at over 2500yds!

Last edited:
Advice sought from anyone with a bit of local knowledge. Work takes me to all corners of Wales on a fairly regular basis and I am keen to sample some of the grayling fishing on offer. I will be back in Denbighshire next month but I have also worked from Anglesey to Cardiff Bay and everywhere in between! I know there is a lot of fantastic grayling fishing to be had but it is a bit bewildering for a total beginner. I am looking for beats that satisfy the following:

Day tickets available.
Allows trotting; if maggots allowed so much the better.
Can be fished without serious wading.
Chance of decent sized grayling.

Not after specifics but some general pointers much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Some recent Grayling.

20190105_103726.jpg
20190105_153443_001.jpg

That's a beauty Anthony , well done . This winter I have had had a couple dabbles for Grayling on the river Dove near Kirbymoorside , they were hard to find but managed a few nice specimens on trotted worm , stunning fish .

With lockdown restricting me to the R.Dane it's been a nightmare waiting for the levels to drop, yesterday though a tad high was doable . 2 hours trotting resulted in 3-4 fish dropped and a sprightly 12oz netted . Couldn't stay in the water too long , legs kept going numb , but very glad to be out on this beautiful little river .

It’s the one species I really miss by not being local to the swale and it’s tributaries any more. I haven’t caught a grayling in 10 years now.
ive been extremely lucky with grayling in the past and managed fish over the 3lb mark twice.
I’ve had a lot of good 2’s aswell. there was a lovely stretch of water a small beck I used to fish for them all the time. Had some red letter days trotting for grayling on that little bit of water.
I liked a fast action spliced tip match rod for them. I have a mark 1 leeda blue diamond match rod that’s banked some fantastic grayling.

Back