• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Four For A Quid Feeders

Clive why is it do you think that 99% of tackle manufacturing companies feeders have a swivel attached…(not including inline ). Or am I missing the point and korum ….drennan…..Kamasan etc have got it all wrong and you are right … you must get some serious line twist when you are fishing…… or do those feeders fall to pieces on the retrieve ….. they wouldn’t be allowed in my tackle box let alone attached to my manline
And why do you have this weird obsession with dumping everything on the river bed there must be enough lead on the bottom of your local river to build a nuclear shelter

In a word fashion. People expect it. You have proved that point in your later comments. It is all about appearance, not function. For the record I don't have any issue with line twist because as most of us know feeders don't spin. And the feeders are strong enough to do the job they are designed for. They might not look pretty, but they last until they are lost.

Now tell me what is the practical benefit in having a swivel on the feeder as a pivot rather than having the same swivel connecting a feeder to the line? 🤔

So you think the reason tackle manufacturers put swivels on feeders is fashion….you need to stay off that French wine clive

The practical benefit of having a swivel on the feeder is you don’t have to have the entire contents of steptoes yard jangling about on your mainline

It’s just above you there Clive. I think you’ll find you were very much in the minority among the “magicians”
Didn’t contradict myself at all.
you were quite happy believing that rivers behave just like still waters and struggling to understand the many many explanations from myself and other people.
In a nutshell…… it’s quite obvious with both arguments you struggle to understand running or flowing water
Richard, initially you claimed that as long as you feathered the line and allowed the bait to precede the weight then the bait would fall to the bottom at the length of the hooklink along with the weight. This was something you had observed hundreds of times. Then belatedly you were forced to change your story that the lead dragged the bait down behind it as I had stated, and you produced an artist's impression of this. So it didn't actually matter about feathering the line to ensure the bait and lead remained seperated and contradicted your observations.

Now you are claiming that feeders like the one fitted with a 150g dead cow lead in the photo miraculously spin on the retrieve and you have seen this.

The answer to all this could be summed up in one word; Specsavers 🤓

So you think the reason tackle manufacturers put swivels on feeders is fashion….you need to stay off that French wine clive

The practical benefit of having a swivel on the feeder is you don’t have to have the entire contents of steptoes yard jangling about on your mainline
Perhaps you can''t / don't want to grasp what I said about seperating the breakaway clip aspect from the swivel aspect. Or perhaps you don't understand what a link swivel is if you don't want the breakaway option. Either way you still cannot / have not / will not explain what the advantage of having a swivel on the feeder is compared to a link swivel connection.

Thats the idea rich,,,,
The problem you describe could end up with a fish towing many metres of line around because if you haven't got a weak link on the feeder then you simply have to pull the main line for a break. That breakage could occur anywhere from the ledger stop to just above the reel. And the fish pulls all that line through the feeder and then trails it behind.

With a weak link you can be confident that the main line and hook link will remain intact, along with the fish.

It generally breaks at the knot on the hooklink, the weakest spot, unless the mainline is cut on a sharp rock, wich is normally close to bottom, so possibly 2ft? In any case that amount should easily pull through

Richard, initially you claimed that as long as you feathered the line and allowed the bait to precede the weight then the bait would fall to the bottom at the length of the hooklink along with the weight. This was something you had observed hundreds of times
No ……. I didn’t say that at all.
I even drew you a very pretty picture to explain as it really wasn’t sinking in and obviously still doesn’t…🤦‍♂️
I said exactly the same thing at the beginning of that thread as I did at the end as did many others and you baffled on with that all pellets and boilies sink at 45° or less rubbish. 🤣
Again it’s not a still water Clive and these things we cast into…….. they flow at different paces 👍🏻

No ……. I didn’t say that at all.
I even drew you a very pretty picture to explain as it really wasn’t sinking in and obviously still doesn’t…🤦‍♂️
I said exactly the same thing at the beginning of that thread as I did at the end as did many others and you baffled on with that all pellets and boilies sink at 45° or less rubbish. 🤣
Again it’s not a still water Clive and these things we cast into…….. they flow at different paces 👍🏻
Jesus christ, enough lads,lets just go fishing and enjoy ourselves 😉

Not so fast. This contradiction needs clarifying. This is your post I referred to, what you claim never said;

"Yes it does very easily and it doesn’t need to be powerful either. I’ve sat and watched my rigs go down hundreds of times. The current has no problem aiding the rig straight if you feather down before impact and get that bait out infront"

Followed by

39403E00-8B31-46DD-A03A-4D86D09BB70D.jpeg.jpg

Which rather defeats the important feathering aspect that you observed hundreds of times.

Then on this thread you claim the stub ends of the feeders are sharp, then you say that know that they are'nt. :rolleyes:

It is all contradiction. That is why you want to drop the feeder rotation thing that you claim to have seen because you know it is total bs.

The problem you describe could end up with a fish towing many metres of line around because if you haven't got a weak link on the feeder then you simply have to pull the main line for a break. That breakage could occur anywhere from the ledger stop to just above the reel. And the fish pulls all that line through the feeder and then trails it behind.

With a weak link you can be confident that the main line and hook link will remain intact, along with the fish.
You probably use lighter tackle so need a weak link after all your only fishing for splashers

Yes it does very easily and it doesn’t need to be powerful either. I’ve sat and watched my rigs go down hundreds of times. The current has no problem aiding the rig straight if you feather down before impact and get that bait out infront"
They are one and the same thing ….there’s no contradiction there. Do I really need to clarify this ……
I do feather BEFORE impact.
The current CAN push the bait along
The current CAN straighten a rig
Feathering down DOES keep a bait and lead separated on impact with the water.

Where is the contradiction between the post and the picture.
Your reading too much between the lines and wanting to see something that isn’t there.

Ref your feeders (Christ it’s getting boring now) I agreed they wouldn’t be as sharp as steel after you explained what it was ……. Wahoo take a brownie point Clive. Grow up man ffs

Ffs your not wrong there.
It’s not even a Sunday yet 🤣
I spent over 20 hours on a local pit yesterday, which i had already prebaited,i caught nothing, a coot nearly gave me a heart attack this morning, as the rod wrenched off😂 luckily i didn't hook him,was still nice watching the bird life, first still water trip for me in years, cant wait to get my barbel rods out with my korum Bolt and run rigs😉

Back