• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Four For A Quid Feeders

They are one and the same thing ….there’s no contradiction there. Do I really need to clarify this ……
I do feather BEFORE impact.
The current CAN push the bait along
The current CAN straighten a rig
Feathering down DOES keep a bait and lead separated on impact with the water.

Where is the contradiction between the post and the picture.
Your reading too much between the lines and wanting to see something that isn’t there.

Ref your feeders (Christ it’s getting boring now) I agreed they wouldn’t be as sharp as steel after you explained what it was ……. Wahoo take a brownie point Clive. Grow up man ffs
It is there on the thread for all to see. You are hiding the fact that you claimed that you needed to feather the line in order for the bait to sink at the hook length distance from the feeder. This was stressed by yourself as being most important and that you had seen the results many times. Only afterwards did you realise that feathering had no impact on where the bait ends up as the feeder drags the bait down the same path it takes. So as usual you take the politician's route of making a U turn whilst claiming to have said the same thing all along.

Trying to be the forum expert on all matters often leaves you exposed to showing your inexperience and lack of knowledge. That is why you make things up like the feathering aspect and the rotating feeders nonsense. The problem is that those with some experience see through it.

feathering had no impact on where the bait ends up as the feeder drags the bait down the same path it takes.
Of course feathering can and does effect where your bait ends up (when casting into running water). It certainly greatly reduces tangles. That said, how much effect feathering will have depends on various factors :
  • Length of hooklink.
  • Length of hooklength relative to depth of water.
  • Strength of current.
  • Buoyancy of bait.
  • Size of bait.
  • Direction of cast, (up/down, or across, the current) to some degree
The worst possible scenario will be when you cast a non-buoyant small bait on a short hooklink into slow moving deep water. Yes, then there's a high probability that your bait will land close to your ledger/feeder, whether you feather or not.
The best possible scenario will be when you cast a buoyant large bait on a long hooklink into fast shallow water. Then, if you feather down, there will be an extremely high probability that your bait will end up far from your weight.
Mostly, the scenario we're presented with will be somewhere in between, and feathering will help in most cases.

If you're unable to feather I'd suggest you learn how to.

Of course feathering can and does effect where your bait ends up (when casting into running water). It certainly greatly reduces tangles. That said, how much effect feathering will have depends on various factors :
  • Length of hooklink.
  • Length of hooklength relative to depth of water.
  • Strength of current.
  • Buoyancy of bait.
  • Size of bait.
  • Direction of cast, (up/down, or across, the current) to some degree
The worst possible scenario will be when you cast a non-buoyant small bait on a short hooklink into slow moving deep water. Yes, then there's a high probability that your bait will land close to your ledger/feeder, whether you feather or not.
The best possible scenario will be when you cast a buoyant large bait on a long hooklink into fast shallow water. Then, if you feather down, there will be an extremely high probability that your bait will end up far from your weight.
Mostly, the scenario we're presented with will be somewhere in between, and feathering will help in most cases.

If you're unable to feather I'd suggest you learn how to.
Add Weight of lead.🤣🤣🤣🤣

10:30 in, and the conclusion at 13:30. I know it's a stillwater but the video does show what happens when feeder fishing.

For me feathering or feeling the feeder down gives me info on weather its on gravel or weed, experiance has taught me if its in the right place,the other thing that happens is the feeder empties on the way down wich leaves a longer or shorter trail of freebies, depending on when you start the feather, i like my freebies past my hookbait, a fish can be confidant by the time it gets to the hook, all these little things are learnt over time,,,,

I have left this alone for a couple of days while reflecting on the issues raised.

I posted the idea of BBQ mesh feeders because I thought that some people who are put off from the metal work side of things might find it useful to know that good, cheap feeders can be more easily made using this material. I have used these over several years so speak from experience, not imagination. I would not recommend anything that I did not have confidence in using myself.

The advantages of BBQ mesh feeders are that they are cheap and more easily made, do not snag as easily due to being more flexible and for the same reason can be stored in a smaller space. The disadvantage is that you need to fill them differently. You can't just dunk them into your groundbait and squeeze it all in. Once the groundbait is stuffed in the feeder it is rigid.

Now, if Richard Isaacs had read the initial post rather than just looking at the pictures he would have realised that the stubble on the ends of the feeder is soft enough not to cause any problems. From experience, not imagination, the feeders as shown do not collect any more weed or debris than any other feeder or lead. If you choose to smooth off the ends then that is up to you. But despite what Richard asserts this does involve extra cutting or wasting material. The result will be purely cosmetic.

Regards the swivel aspect; nobody has yet demonstrated why each feeder requires ats own swivel and sleeve. If you have a swivel on your feeder attachment then that should suffice. However, these feeders do not rotate. If you require a rotating feeder then I suggest that you contact Richard as he seems to be the only one who has experience of this. If you ask him nicely he might sell you some of his special anti-gravity feeders with treble hooks attached so if the barbel aren't biting you can do a bit of piking with them.

Regards the safety link that so offends Terry Harman; basically it is 3 components - a link swivel that has been taken apart and rejoined with a small plastic 'C' clip used in chod rigs, and these components are then secured by a 1cm length of silicone tubing. That is all that connects the mainline to the feeder. I call this a breakaway clip. Terry refers to it as "Half of Steptoe's yard". If you need to source the 3 components for this attachment you will find 2 of them, the swivel and the tubing on every one of Terry's feeders along with another link swivel or similar required to connect the feeder to the line. 3 components in all. Same number as found in "Half of Steptoe's yard." Except that he will have a lot more swivels and lengths of tube, all connected to feeders, layed about in his tackle box than I have.

And that is my last word on the subject.

And that is my last word on the subject.
You should be able to sleep soundly now Clive, now that you’ve got all that ……. Whatever it was off your chest 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I’m not gonna argue with any of it as I’m incredibly busy mixing up some leopard skin paint for my new range of feeders. I won’t be spilling the beans just yet but to give you a clue (self casting) might be on the cards 😉

Now you can quite happily put words into my mouth here and take the win as it means a lot more to you I can see that…..
It will also give you a nice starting block to say “remember that time Richard (again) that You admitted defeat and contradicted yourself” next time we cross swords.

All the best
R

Last edited:
You should be able to sleep soundly now Clive, now that you’ve got all that ……. Whatever it was off your chest 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I’m not gonna argue with any of it as I’m incredibly busy mixing up some leopard skin paint for my new range of feeders. I won’t be spilling the beans just yet but to give you a clue (self casting) might be on the cards 😉

Now you can quite happily put words into my mouth here and take the win as it means a lot more to you I can see that…..
It will also give you a nice starting block to say “remember that time Richard (again) that You admitted defeat and contradicted yourself” next time we cross swords.

All the best
R

👌

Back