• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Four For A Quid Feeders

Four components. Add together the two components in your photo along with the linkage used to hold the lead that you haven't shown and we are about even.

One swivel on the line instead of one on each feeder. That is the point. The other components are there for a different purpose: to prevent a breakage of the mainline should the feeder become snagged.

And pva bags aren't feeders so I don't see the relevance of your point.
In a previous post you wrote “I’m not a fan of the unnecessary swivel and tube attachment” but then go on to list 4 different components to attach your feeder to the mainline … just saying

I don’t use any linkage to attach a lead just thread the mainline through the lead swivel so if you include the lead that’s 3 components I also don’t have to search around for plastic mesh and I also don’t have to drive around various scrap dealers trying to find a roll of code 4 lead.. and have you seen the price of a roll of lead 😳

I’m aware that pva mesh / bags aren’t feeders but they do exactly the same job without concocting something that resembles a rap artists necklace …so the relevance of my point is it’s 2022 not 1976 there’s absolutely no need to even own a feeder

And one other point I make all the pva sticks at home and take them with me so my cork handle and reel don’t get slaughtered in ground bait
And with pva you don’t leave a load of debris on the river bed if you get snagged

Spot-on there Terry.

Must admit I find it odd that so many anglers are comfortable with dumping plastic and other tackle all over the river bed, not these days when we know the long-term impact that this plastic has on the fresh water environment. Yes some losses are always going to occur, but we all have a responsibility to ensure they are kept to the bare minimum. Personally I don't use ever use feeders in snaggy situations.

It’s a tough balance between the lesser of 2 evils and every situation is different.
My leads and feeders are not rigged up to eject. If it gets properly snagged up then the likely hood is your losing everything. However I fish very very strong tackle and 8 times out of 10 I get it back when pulling for a break usually with a badly deformed feeder or a straightened out hook.
Giving up the feeder or lead too easily is just as bad as throwing the bloody things in the water. An ideal situation which again would be impossible to do for every snag situation would be to have a feeder or lead set up at point of ejection being just fractions before point of main line snapping so that you’ve literally given your hardware all that it will cope with and the feeder then let’s go just before a break.
However snags also damage line and achieving this repeatedly would not be possible

It’s really about fishing smart I suppose like joe said. Don’t cast a feeder into a potential snag pit use a bag instead or a spopper.

point is it’s 2022 not 1976 there’s absolutely no need to even own a feeder
Woah!!!! Steady on there Tel!! You’ll be doing me out of business with remarks like that 🤣🤣

“point is it’s 2022 not 1976 there’s absolutely no need to even own a feeder unless Rich built it”

Ahhhh…… much better 😎😎😉

In a previous post you wrote “I’m not a fan of the unnecessary swivel and tube attachment” but then go on to list 4 different components to attach your feeder to the mainline … just saying

I don’t use any linkage to attach a lead just thread the mainline through the lead swivel so if you include the lead that’s 3 components I also don’t have to search around for plastic mesh and I also don’t have to drive around various scrap dealers trying to find a roll of code 4 lead.. and have you seen the price of a roll of lead 😳

I’m aware that pva mesh / bags aren’t feeders but they do exactly the same job without concocting something that resembles a rap artists necklace …so the relevance of my point is it’s 2022 not 1976 there’s absolutely no need to even own a feeder

And one other point I make all the pva sticks at home and take them with me so my cork handle and reel don’t get slaughtered in ground bait
And with pva you don’t leave a load of debris on the river bed if you get snagged
So basically you use pva mesh and a lead without any breakaway component and use that to make a point about swivels and feeders? :rolleyes:

Let me mame it simple for you. Look back in my posts for the reference to requiring just one component if you did away with the breakaway option. One component that includes a swivel. Some people refer to them as link swivels. Then you don't need a swivel on every feeder.

In actual fact you could get away without a swivel at all. Despite what Richard claims you will find that feeders do not rotate or twist during the cast or retrieve because they have a weight, usually a lead strip, affixed to them. That means they always fly and swim with the weight underneath the feeder. Unless of course Richard has devised a way of defying the rools of fisiks in which case he is wasted on here and should be working for NASA.

It’s a tough balance between the lesser of 2 evils and every situation is different.
My leads and feeders are not rigged up to eject. If it gets properly snagged up then the likely hood is your losing everything. However I fish very very strong tackle and 8 times out of 10 I get it back when pulling for a break usually with a badly deformed feeder or a straightened out hook.
Giving up the feeder or lead too easily is just as bad as throwing the bloody things in the water. An ideal situation which again would be impossible to do for every snag situation would be to have a feeder or lead set up at point of ejection being just fractions before point of main line snapping so that you’ve literally given your hardware all that it will cope with and the feeder then let’s go just before a break.
However snags also damage line and achieving this repeatedly would not be possible

It’s really about fishing smart I suppose like joe said. Don’t cast a feeder into a potential snag pit use a bag instead or a spopper.
When you cast a feeder or lead into the water in a new swim you have no idea whether it will be snagged or not. That knowledge comes as you get to know the swim. Fixing a feeder or lead direct to the line increases the chance of you losing the hook link if the feeder is snagged. A chod clip needs about 5 or 6lbs of force to open it. Most rods used for barbel don't exert that sort of force so you have to make a straight pull to release it.

If I have feeder or lead stuck then in the vast majority of cases I can recover all but the feeder or lead and two clips. I retrieve the hook, bait, sliding link and the fish where apropriate. If no fish I can be re-casting in less than a minute.

Leads can become snagged too so the pva and lead argument is dead in the water.

Ultimately the breakaway link is a seperate issue to the question of whether a swivel is required on every feeder and is being used to cloud the primary debate.

In actual fact you could get away without a swivel at all. Despite what Richard claims you will find that feeders do not rotate or twist during the cast or retrieve because they have a weight, usually a lead strip, affixed to them. That means they always fly and swim with the weight underneath the feeder. Unless of course Richard has devised a way of defying the rools of fisiks in which case he is wasted on here and should be working for NASA.
Total utter nonsense….., every word of that Clive.
While I agree a feeder’s weight will help keep it pointing down, it doesn’t stop a feeder being able to rotate especially if your bringing it across a particularly powerful stretch of river.

I’ve stood there and bloody watched the things spin when I was returning them through the clear powerful water at Collingham so you really need to pack in this “unless Richard can achieve the impossible” crap. Because if there is a force coming at it from the side then rotation is probable

Total utter nonsense….., every word of that Clive.
While I agree a feeder’s weight will help keep it pointing down, it doesn’t stop a feeder being able to rotate especially if your bringing it across a particularly powerful stretch of river.

I’ve stood there and bloody watched the things spin when I was returning them through the clear powerful water at Collingham so you really need to pack in this “unless Richard can achieve the impossible” crap. Because if there is a force coming at it from the side then rotation is probable
I don't believe that a feeder will rotate as you claim. The lead acts as a keel and any sideways force will simply push the feeder sideways with the lead still orientated downwards. At best it might tilt the angle a little.

It isn't that long ago that you claimed to have watched boilie and pellet baits sink at the same rate as your feeders. You later dropped that absurdity and I am sure that you will drop this claim once reality sinks in.

It isn't that long ago that you claimed to have watched boilie and pellet baits sink at the same rate as your feeders.
No I didn’t claim that. I know what I wrote and I haven’t dropped anything.
You talk a lot of crap Clive and I don’t always reply consistently to that crap so you probably think I’ve accepted that crap to be true.

It isn't that long ago that you claimed to have watched boilie and pellet baits sink at the same rate as your feeders. You later dropped that absurdity and I am sure that you will drop this claim once reality sinks in.

You sure??? 😉

No I didn’t claim that. I know what I wrote and I haven’t dropped anything.
You talk a lot of crap Clive and I don’t always reply consistently to that crap so you probably think I’ve accepted that crap to be true.
You will find your contradictory comments on the "How long is your hook link" thread should you need to remind yourself.

You will find your contradictory comments on the "How long is your hook link" thread should you need to remind yourself.
It’s just above you there Clive. I think you’ll find you were very much in the minority among the “magicians”
Didn’t contradict myself at all.
you were quite happy believing that rivers behave just like still waters and struggling to understand the many many explanations from myself and other people.
In a nutshell…… it’s quite obvious with both arguments you struggle to understand running or flowing water

Clive why is it do you think that 99% of tackle manufacturing companies feeders have a swivel attached…(not including inline ). Or am I missing the point and korum ….drennan…..Kamasan etc have got it all wrong and you are right … you must get some serious line twist when you are fishing…… or do those feeders fall to pieces on the retrieve ….. they wouldn’t be allowed in my tackle box let alone attached to my manline
And why do you have this weird obsession with dumping everything on the river bed there must be enough lead on the bottom of your local river to build a nuclear shelter

Ok i have my tin hat on, i always use a running feeder or lead on a clip to swivel to mainline, that way if anything gets snagged i lose the feeder or lead, cheap at half the price because i know that the fish isn't towing them around and thats the most important part,,,, ok fire away🤕
If it’s free running Jim i don’t see how a fish could end up towing one if you break off.
Wouldn’t it just slide off the line?

Back