• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

For those who use bite alarms

Bob, i think you should get txi's aswel pal and same colour as mine (purple) hmmmm lol

Mr Arnott,

I suggest you take a look at the rules of the site and maintain the bfw standard's.

No offence

Regards

Patrick.

Mr. Cooper,
Perhaps you ought to consider whether branding many anglers on here as 'irresponsible' might be considered as inflammatory?

While you are at it perhaps you might care to furnish us with a list of species considered acceptable to be fished for using a centrepin reel. :rolleyes:

So dragging a fish in as quick as possible is better than playing them out ? as long as they are handled correctly and rested properly there aint a problem . I trot the Trent with a pin and use baitrunners on the feeder or lead

Thanks for the non aggressive post Dean, others looking in should take a leaf out of your book.

It may be that we do not all agree with the stance that Patrick is taking on centre pin reels when fishing for Barbel, but I think it is worth reminding ourselves of the BFW rules regarding aggressive posting and I quote them below

1. Do not behave in an aggressive or antagonistic way.

2. Do not make potentially slanderous or libellous comments.

3. Remember that BFW is viewed by men and women of all ages and races, and also children.

Naturally these rules do not apply to people from Eastern Europe or people who have committed the heinous crime of the theft of fishing tackle. Under these circumstances it is perfectly OK to post racist comments, as demonstrated in the multiple posts referencing EE’s, that have gone unmoderated. Where thieves are concerned it is also permissible to go further and condone the practise of hanging them (without the drop) and getting your sons to beat them to a pulp with short lengths of scaffolding pole. Another poster suggested keeping them alive medically so that their deaths by torture could be prolonged. Again all these comments passed without moderation.

All to often we seem to see threads high jacked and then at some point it gets a bit depressingly ugly. In many ways it can mirror conversations down the pub that meander all over the place. The difference there of course is immediate access to a lovely drink, bar food and even some outside space to settle an argument. What seems to spark most controversy and hence a rush to the keyboard is massive generalisations and sweeping criticisms- generally baseless in a broader context and often linked to one or two personal experiences.

Of course one can simply choose not to read posts or even log on to the forum, just as someone might walk out of a pub. But that's a bit of a shame and without some individual moderation, forums can become a bit unhealthy and starved of the oxygen of engagement by members, die a lonely death. I assume we are mostly well adjusted folk that don't have posters of Fred West or Pol Pot on our bedroom walls so we shouldn't really need central moderation.

It's also really boring watching a thread descend into petty bickering and that's not good.

with short lengths of scaffolding pole

I hate to be pedantic Richard, but the technical term for these is "putlogs" :D

I don't really think that using an electronic bite alarm gives you any great advantage when barbel fishing . Bottom line is that people use them if they are likely to fall asleep on the job , be distracted , or are not willing / able to stare at the rod tip or sit with the line crooked over their fingers for prolonged periods . From a personal perspective it feels more satisfying when you strike as the float goes under or you feel the pluck on your line rather than waiting for the bleeper to sound . However barbel are not the sharpest knives in the draw , the real skill is finding where they are :D

and yet you are happy to play those poor silvers for longer than needed, just for your pleasure of using a pin and trotting.... you will have the silver fishing police after you.... :rolleyes:

x

I do hope that was tongue in cheek from a moderator especially.

Remember Mr Williams , , with great power comes great responsibility

I do hope that was tongue in cheek from a moderator especially.

Remember Mr Williams , , with great power comes great responsibility

Come on Patrick . Great power !? , Steve does a thankless job on a niche fishing website . Like you he is only expressing his opinion pointing out the flaw in your centre pin argument . For the record what you are saying re centre pins is , in my experience tosh , but I would defend your right to express your view :D

Come on Patrick . Great power !? , Steve does a thankless job on a niche fishing website . Like you he is only expressing his opinion pointing out the flaw in your centre pin argument . For the record what you are saying re centre pins is , in my experience tosh , but I would defend your right to express your view :D

Thanks for the reply Mike. Thats your opinion and I respect that. But this is what a forum is about, to express your opinion and debate the whys and what nots of the subject. What I dont respect os the aggressive or mocking posts. Its not a good example for any young people looking in.

Tight line's for the opening season

Patrick

I'm just dangling a bit of bait Coops, but your a little too keen to bite.... post spawning feeding frenzy me thinks..... or are you just stocking up in readiness for the big day?

My posts are as a poster first and a moderator second.... I'm not too bothered if its taken as tongue in cheek or not....:p

Personally I also don't mind if threads deviate somewhat during the closed season, at the end of the day, you are all Barbel anglers posting on a Barbel site and there are only so many 'otter' and 'closed season' debates we can have....

Steve

PS cheers Mike;)

Alarms etc.

I would think that there must be a place for everything, use whatever suits you but dont impose upon others enjoyment of the river.

Tackle evolves,and I suppose that one day the gear we use now will be considered antique .

Dave

I would think that there must be a place for everything, use whatever suits you but dont impose upon others enjoyment of the river.

Tackle evolves,and I suppose that one day the gear we use now will be considered antique .

Dave

I like the look of the reel in your first picture. Do they do them in other colours? Also looks like a fixed/pin reel hybrid which should resolve all the arguments.

Back