• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

For those who use bite alarms

Fishing for beards with centrepins is irresponsible in this day and age

By bait I assume that you think im intentionally posting what for me is a repeated message David. You would be incorrect in this. Centrepins may indeed put you in contact with the fish with a one to one ratio retrieval rate. But its an archaic method which I personally believe that doesn't help fish welfare, in that you spend extra time playing the fish leading to more physical stress. Very much like how the traveller died due to people constantly fishing for fame or to be a record holder. Yes an otter ate her, but you can't tell me that a fit healthy barbel couldn't escape an otter?
How many on here have been reduced to going to a commercial fishery and seen the state of there mouths, fins and general wellbeing? I've noticed it's now starting to happen to river fish too. Is this because of declining numbers of fish and increasing predators? Or os it due to the worst predator of all.....man?

Fishing for beards with centrepins is irresponsible in this day and age

I suppose that by "beards" you refer to barbel? Are you being merely provocative in suggesting that using a centrepin is "irresposnsile in this day and age" or is there some evidence you can adduce?

Regards

Hugo

Last edited:
"How many on here have been reduced to going to a commercial fishery and seen the state of there mouths, fins and general wellbeing?"

Yes I agree. You see the strangest looking people at these places and its a reminder why cousins should never, ever, marry. I'm sticking to the rivers from now on.

By bait I assume that you think im intentionally posting what for me is a repeated message David. You would be incorrect in this. Centrepins may indeed put you in contact with the fish with a one to one ratio retrieval rate. But its an archaic method which I personally believe that doesn't help fish welfare, in that you spend extra time playing the fish leading to more physical stress. Very much like how the traveller died due to people constantly fishing for fame or to be a record holder. Yes an otter ate her, but you can't tell me that a fit healthy barbel couldn't escape an otter?
How many on here have been reduced to going to a commercial fishery and seen the state of there mouths, fins and general wellbeing? I've noticed it's now starting to happen to river fish too. Is this because of declining numbers of fish and increasing predators? Or os it due to the worst predator of all.....man?

Some "different" points of view in that post Patrick. Why should a barbel take any longer to land on a centre pin than a fixed spool? It's down to the angler, not the reel. A fit healthy barbel should easily escape an otter? So do you suggest that all barbel killed by otters were unhealthy fish anyway? That means 90% of the Cherwell barbel population were sick fish...

Have you got any proof that it takes longer to play a fish using a centrepin?

Question for the alarm techies , do delkim do an alarm that is wireless and works with receiver other then the txi plus ? as cant justify spending £360+ on 2 alarms and a receiver

Question for the alarm techies , do delkim do an alarm that is wireless and works with receiver other then the txi plus ? as cant justify spending £360+ on 2 alarms and a receiver

yes, all delks and pretty much any modern alarm you can attach a dongle thing
it's still not a cheap option.

I tend to find that its those anglers without the 'ability' to use a center pin that complain and berate them and their users......

Steve

I use one for what they are designed for, trotting a float for silvers, for barbel NEVER, like I say its just wrong to play a barbel too long on the pin.:mad:

I use one for what they are designed for, trotting a float for silvers, for barbel NEVER, like I say its just wrong to play a barbel too long on the pin.:mad:

With respect Patrick, this isn't answering the question asked in response to your original post. What makes you believe it takes longer to safely land a barbel with a pin? Have you tested this? I am by no means an expert with a pin but I have found there to be no difference- in fact I can see an argument for the reverse to be true. More direct feel gives you a better and more immediate sense of when and when not to apply pressure. I think it can become more dynamic rather than keeping the clutch set at a specific level, irrespective of what is happening during the fight. Of course, the clutch can be adjusted during the fight but I can't see how this can be more efficient than adjusting your hand/finger pressure on the pin.

However, in experienced hands, I can't believe there would be a material timing difference between the two techniques.

You just need to buy a ATT X reciever and the dongles that fit ANY Delkims..
Reciever about £70 to £80 pounds and the dongles about £20 each..
Had mine for a while and had no problems at all..

You just need to buy a ATT X reciever and the dongles that fit ANY Delkims..
Reciever about £70 to £80 pounds and the dongles about £20 each..
Had mine for a while and had no problems at all..
TXI'S are for tarts anyhow, this is far the best option.

Getting back to the original question from Wayne I have a pair of Wychwood signature alarms. They are compact, light, and have adjustable tone, sensitivity and volume all for less than £20. I don't use them all the time for Barbel, but I do at this time of year for Tench.
I met Phil Smith at Adams Mill in 2001 and he said that as he got older it was not unknown for him to nod off now and again which is why he fished with alarms, and I must admit that most trips I will drift off, but one beep and I am wide awake again.

With respect Patrick, this isn't answering the question asked in response to your original post. What makes you believe it takes longer to safely land a barbel with a pin? Have you tested this? I am by no means an expert with a pin but I have found there to be no difference- in fact I can see an argument for the reverse to be true. More direct feel gives you a better and more immediate sense of when and when not to apply pressure. I think it can become more dynamic rather than keeping the clutch set at a specific level, irrespective of what is happening during the fight. Of course, the clutch can be adjusted during the fight but I can't see how this can be more efficient than adjusting your hand/finger pressure on the pin.

However, in experienced hands, I can't believe there would be a material timing difference between the two techniques.

Ive seen it with my own eyes Howard, in fact that very day I submerged myself to rescue a fish that was belly up and floating past my chosen swim. The muppet for want of a better word took ages to control and net the fish and even though he rested it it went belly up. Now this doesnt prove that all centrepin barbelers are this bad but its a good arguement to not use them and get a decent fixed spool!!!!!!!!1:mad:

I have seen many instances of bad angling with idiots on fixed spool reels, trying to land a good fish with hooks that are far too small or line that is totally inadequate BS, and therefore exhausting a good fish in the time it took to land it.

It is absolutely nothing to do with what type of reel, that is just ridiculous. It is all down to the person using sensible balanced tackle for the species and conditions.

I have never read such a load of pretentious twaddle since last close season.

Use your alarms when carbeling on the Trent or Severn, Use your pins (the original bite alarms and bait runners) when fishing the smaller rivers. It's simple really. Why we have to make such a fuss over a personal choice I have no idea.
When I fish the Dove I have both rods on alarms with the sound turned off as the light is plenty of indication at night when my eyes wander from the isotopes on the rod tips, I have a baitrunner on the one rod which is a tricky cast to a far bank crease and a Barbel catcher centrepin on the other which is placed under a near bank bush.
I have been given funny looks by both camps, the floppy hated traditionalists and the 'tackle tart' new kids but I'm happy I'm using the best tools for the job in both swims.

I have seen many instances of bad angling with idiots on fixed spool reels, trying to land a good fish with hooks that are far too small or line that is totally inadequate BS, and therefore exhausting a good fish in the time it took to land it.

It is absolutely nothing to do with what type of reel, that is just ridiculous. It is all down to the person using sensible balanced tackle for the species and conditions.

Oh so does that mean Keith Speers is in that group then?????:eek:

Back