• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fitting Isotopes

Parallel to the bank, so I'm looking slightly down.

Typically something like this

View attachment 12253
Hey hey hey what the heck is that???
2D54B438-CE48-47A5-B150-884D2B800018.jpeg

I’m copying that little trick for my modified swing rests.
9FB9F3F2-8889-4BBB-AA34-29C75A74E8EA.jpeg

What a really cool idea. Any chance of a close up please Paul.

Bit of a thread revival here...

Been a bit annoying that I've had isotopes whipped onto the tips of my Free Spirit Hi-S barbel rods 2 years now without a single issue. However, in a year I've gone through about 3 isotopes that have snapped on the tips of my Harrison flood rods, can only think it must be difference in the action of the blanks 🤷‍♂️ So I needed a bit of a rethink and hope I have the solution...

Firstly I bought 2 x isotopes, 25mm x 3mm. I also bought some rigid clear acrylic tube, 6mm outer diameter/4mm internal diameter. I cut a couple of thin strips of flexible plastic to use as a tag for the 'isotope holders' and passed these through the tube (sort of plastic that hook/swivel packets are made of). I then plugged the isotopes in the tubes with clear silicone and took these along with my rod tips to my local rod builder.

He has whipped white under where these fit, and then used the plastic tags to whip the tubes to the rod tips. End result looks like it should do the job and they seem mega bright (for isotopes). Can't see the plastic tube cracking as it's not flexible, and if an isotope goes faulty it should be easy enough to dig out and slot in a replacement. Hoping that won't be needed though!

I quite like the isotope being flat with the tip and some great ideas above (Love Bob's)
I've bodged this up for now using 2 enterprise adapters and see how it goes. Also going to paint the rod top white.
View attachment 11917
Re painting the rod top white, best not use gloss as it reflects light. For years I've just used Tippex, as it's simple to apply and easy to clean off and reapply and being matt, absorbs light, thus shows up better in low light.

Back