• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fitting Isotopes

That’s certainly the easiest and most convenient way and they stand out well but it’s not the “best” way.
I have in the past flung an isotope in the river off one of those things when the line rapped over it and I didn’t know before a big cast.
I now like them laying down and fixed.
I did one myself by simply placing it on the tip ring and building up around it in clear epoxy varnish shown here.
4FE7A4A0-B8CF-4828-B57A-02B04C564226.jpeg

Or if you’ve got some building skills you can shrink tube them on like these have been done for me here.
ABA23A9F-580A-4F7A-AA39-9B27608EC6F3.jpeg

Use at least a 20mm long isotope and you’ll have no problem seeing it from any rod angle.
Stand ups are more visible yes but for the price of quality isotopes I want them fixed properly.

Or you could put a dab of glue where the tube sleeves over the barb on the enterprise assembly and it will make it a bit more secure if you want a stand up arrangement

I've had isotopes fitted to the tips of my new rods, they are 3mm x 25mm in size but nowhere near as bright as chemical lights that stand off the rod, however, they are sufficient and much more aesthetically pleasing and I don't have to worry about putting new lights on my tips every few days. Local rod builder charged me £30 to fit the isotopes and number my rod sections 1 & 2 for me.

I've had isotopes fitted to the tips of my new rods, they are 3mm x 25mm in size but nowhere near as bright as chemical lights that stand off the rod, however, they are sufficient and much more aesthetically pleasing and I don't have to worry about putting new lights on my tips every few days. Local rod builder charged me £30 to fit the isotopes and number my rod sections 1 & 2 for me.

don’t really understand why the builder has whipped Black right over the Ends of that isotope and not just over the tube ends.
That’s obscuring a lot of It’s clarity at a lower rod angle

don’t really understand why the builder has whipped Black right over the Ends of that isotope and not just over the tube ends.
That’s obscuring a lot of It’s clarity at a lower rod angle

I'm fine with it Richard and they plenty visible for me. But yesterday evening I was sat next a mate who had big chemical lights on his rods and he could've brought planes in to land 😂 I like the subtleness to be honest. There's plenty enough to see what the tip is doing waiting for a bite, and also see where the tip is when doing battle in the dark.

Do these " fixed " isotopes not stop the tip of the rod, the most flexible part, from bending properly, and may cause it to snap ?
No. The first 2 inches of rod wouldn’t be bending with a fish on, the arc would be further back and even then the radius of the bend is large, a one inch isotope wouldn’t notice it.
I'm fine with it Richard and they plenty visible for me. But yesterday evening I was sat next a mate who had big chemical lights on his rods and he could've brought planes in to land 😂 I like the subtleness to be honest. There's plenty enough to see what the tip is doing waiting for a bite, and also see where the tip is when doing battle in the dark.
I hate those night lights. They are far too bright. I was just curious as to the thinking behind Completely covering the ends of the isotope with black whippings.
With a low rod all you can really see is the end. Main thing is it looks a neat job and if you can see it then it’s functional. 👍🏻

That’s certainly the easiest and most convenient way and they stand out well but it’s not the “best” way.
I have in the past flung an isotope in the river off one of those things when the line rapped over it and I didn’t know before a big cast.
I now like them laying down and fixed.
I did one myself by simply placing it on the tip ring and building up around it in clear epoxy varnish shown here.
View attachment 11412
Or if you’ve got some building skills you can shrink tube them on like these have been done for me here.
View attachment 11413
Use at least a 20mm long isotope and you’ll have no problem seeing it from any rod angle.
Stand ups are more visible yes but for the price of quality isotopes I want them fixed properly.
Looks ideal im toying with this i looked at the gardner betalights 20mm this would be ideal with a clear resin what type have you used on yours?

Looks ideal im toying with this i looked at the gardner betalights 20mm this would be ideal with a clear resin what type have you used on yours?
If I’m honest it was a good while ago I Can’t remember the brand. It will of come from guides n blanks as that’s where I would normally get this sort of thing. Rod builders epoxy 2 part the same stuff used to heavy build on whippings.
A tiny dab of glue to secure it in place then just built up around it until I was happy with the build up and the isotope was fully sealed and protected.
Not a professional job, I’m sure I left a bubble or two in the finish but then it’s not my day job and the main thing is it worked. I could clearly see the tip in pitch black.

I use the enterprise holders and as I have posted in the past, I superglue the little stem the silicone sits on together. I also use chemical lights in either blue or red so more subtle than the yellow. I bought a few boxes of 100 of each colour for £5 on a deal from Askari, They are now £7.99 so 8p a night session if one comes off and is lost, which is rare, I am more upset I lost the silicon.

Back