• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fined

well , like said above, he a role model for younger anglers, but he got off lightly , but if it was a normal bloke like most of us on here, bet the judge would have fined us up to the max, is it some thing like £2,000, ?????? makes you wonder,

10% of the maximum possible is not unusual. If you look at other similar offences I think you'll find he's been treated by the court like anyone else.

I believe the stretch he often fishes is opposite the Red Lion Stretch at Bredwardine. Don't know if thats the beat in question. You fished it I think Crooky?

Graham

He has a stretch opposite Sugwas Court WUF beat,have seen him there guiding.

Came across Martin Salters views on this subject earlier - he thinks a five year ban from angling is suitable punishment. Wonder how he would feel if he got a five year ban from driving for doing 34 in a 30 zone first offence. Let's face it - he would be breaking the law! The only reason we don't have a points system in angling is the complete lack of enforcement. I know dozens of well respected anglers who ignore 'barbeless only' rules in their clubs - should we ban them for years? The closed season is utter bolx anyway - you can't sit on the bank and cast a bait in because it will disrupt spawning fish - but you can trample all over the spawning gravels while chucking a fly about because you paid more than the guy who wants to chuck bait in. Tosh.

"The Close Season...............only works for people with closed minds"

Says a man genralising.

Its out of season for talking about the close isnt it?

Last edited:
I took a disliking to the bloke after he poached Yates's pike swim on passion and it was reinforced by the allegations of embezzlement from the ACA coffers. There have also been many rumours of him having an affair with Yates's wife and as for the excuse about fishing for shad I actually emailed him to his guiding website a couple of years ago when he was advertising guided shad fishing days reminding him of the law regarding fishing for them, obviously I was ignored.
The daft thing is though, instead of the lame shad excuse, if he had said he was doing it as a protest against outdated counter productive restrictions placed on coarse fishing by the close season rules he would have got an article out of it and opened a debate which would have got allot of sympathy from many river anglers.
From a personal point of view I think the blokes 'a bad un' and as he is now a convicted criminal (do you get a criminal record for fishing out of season?), I hope he gets dropped by all the angling press.

It will be interesting to see what spin the bloggers put on this, I suppose the stance they take will be dictated by their business interests as usual.
From a personal point of view I think the blokes 'a bad un' and as he is now a convicted criminal (do you get a criminal record for fishing out of season?),
[/QUOTE]
A Bit of an Overreaction?...:confused:
you know you can get a record for not having a poxy TV license, bad..un?
mega worse things go on....:(

That's the law in action Tony. I know you're a better man for it.

I got caught dipping the pick and mix in Wollies and got a right good belting off my Mom. Taught me to be more careful I can tell you.

Mind you, at 36 I should have known better really.

Last edited:
The daft thing is though, instead of the lame shad excuse, if he had said he was doing it as a protest against outdated counter productive restrictions placed on coarse fishing by the close season rules he would have got an article out of it and opened a debate which would have got allot of sympathy from many river anglers.

It will be interesting to see what spin the bloggers put on this, I suppose the stance they take will be dictated by their business interests as usual.

That's refreshing, I've just been told that one of the bloggers at least, has taken a similar stance to me. In fact, he has practically plagiarised this post.
Shame he chose not to give me credit for it as quick as he chooses to vilify me for posts which he does not agree with.:rolleyes:

He got caught , he has been punished under the law , he is no doubt getting a good verbal kicking on angling forums . I reckon that's enough . Best left

"The Close Season...............only works for people with closed minds"

Says a man genralising.

Its out of season for talking about the close isnt it?

Tony,

Give me one reason for continuing with the close season that stands up to scrutiny?

One Reason..8,000-10,000 barbel eggs laying on your unhooking mat or dripping eggs or milt! Probably a whole year class and generation lost because of idiots!

Back