• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fined

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men,

For fishing out of seaon , Bob James . £250 fine , £100 costs , and the tackle confiscated . Same for journalist Steve Martin who pleaded guilty by letter .

Any thoughts ?.

Hatter

It's probably about fair and in line with what happens to Joe Average. However, I'm a little surprised that they bothered with the tackle confiscation. I don't suppose it means a great deal to someone involved in the industry. It's akin to the FA fining a professional footballer five hundred quid when he's on sixty grand a week.

It's probably about fair and in line with what happens to Joe Average. However, I'm a little surprised that they bothered with the tackle confiscation. I don't suppose it means a great deal to someone involved in the industry. It's akin to the FA fining a professional footballer five hundred quid when he's on sixty grand a week.

And confiscating his boots.:D

Hi men,

Using football as a guide , they would also ban them ?. Not saying this should happen to Bob , as he has been felt with , it's just to set out to fish out of season , filmed , and be paid for it seems very calculated . The knock on effect if it had come off is for more articles , sponcership etc , so more gain ?.

But no more calculated than those going out of season moving / stealing / eating the fish ?.

Perhaps we don't know all the details true facts , or what drove someone who takes a living from angling in many ways to do this ?. Perhaps someone close to the situation would like to put the other side of a story ????.

Hattet

Perhaps we don't know all the details true facts , or what drove someone who takes a living from angling in many ways to do this ?.

Hattet

Maybe he was making a statement regarding his views on the close season?! Whatever the reason, along with the fine and the lost tackle there will no doubt be a great deal of embarassment felt when it goes public - and it's been bounding around for months now so continuous suffering if you like. Fair punishment i think. I remember Mark Downes getting caught without a licence and it didn't affect his career too badly. Should the punishment be harsher? Not for me - look at the other end of the spectrum -if that was a chap on the dole who lost his gear and got slapped with a £250 fine it would probably end his fishing for the season at least. I agree the fine and loss won't hurt Bob that much but the embarassment infront of his peers will hurt.

pity we don't hear more about the dozens of people i see doing it every year.

The lack of a licence has nothing to do with the close season but Like Andrew mentions above his status and earning potential will be severely hurt and the embarrassment must be a killer.

Has any previous embarrassment held him back? Perhaps he was using a 'collectible' reel/rod. If so, it could be auctioned to raise money for charity.

Has any previous embarrassment held him back? Perhaps he was using a 'collectible' reel/rod. If so, it could be auctioned to raise money for charity.

Daft enough to get caught fishing out of season but even dafter if he was using rare/vintage/collectible gear too.

Perhaps he can auction the paperwork from the court case for his favourite charity...I am sure there are plenty out there would buy it as a collectors item :p

Cheers, Dave.

Pretty much wherever he goes someone's gonna remind him of that I am sure. I expect he will be booking whole sections on the W&U just to be on his own!

Glad on the outcome whatever the fine, the embarrassment must be immense to bear with. Should have known better or did money get in the way. Wonder what his mitigation was if any.

Remember when it was first reported and his only comment was that it wasnt as clear as fishing in close season , well am sorry you arrogant arse but it was and your guilty and to my mind it puts you in the same company as all the other low life law breakers !!!!!!!!!!

Back