• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dying on it's backside.

well said Damian,
Lee its good to see you on the board again mate,
i was going to call my litigation in morning to see if there was anything worth going for, after all i do pay out for 1 1/2 million pounds of litigation,
Jason aint the only one with a few quid LOL

I saw your name on there JW, and thought it a bit weird. I was aware of that site but had never bothered to look at it until today. How weird the world of internet angling is. I haven't fallen out with many people in my life, and the thought of doing so over angling i find bizarre. I'm not sure whether to laugh or not.

Nick C

hello mate, no as i said 1st i wanted to make it clear on here i have nothing to do or say on that site, hope your familys in good health mate, i still think about Neil HD even after all this time, no dont worry about me mate, the hospital told my wife day after boxing day that i wouldnt see the night thru,
same geezer now calls me his miracle man:D:D:D
body shut down, heart attack, diabetes,6inch dagger in me guts and still here, in fact just got a couple of rods and a bsa r10 and just ordered a cold steel khukri, sure something can be enjoyed using mate:D

All's good with me. Glad to hear you're doing good now mate. I too still think of Neil pretty regularly. Wonder what he'd make of it all now ? Take it easy JW

nick C

Cooled off a bit now, nice to see respected members making sensible posts
when others elsewhere outside bfw attempt to upset ,

Just tried to have a look at there response, cant get in,seems they like to give it but cant take it back. Just shows what a bunch of saddos they really are:D:D:D:D:D

When i first read the original post from Adrian i must say that i could understand where he was coming from.
I visit this site everyday and yes sometimes there`s not many new posts or things that would be of interest to me.
That said i suppose i`m like a lot of other members i don`t see the point of posting just for the sake of it.
The reason for this post is to show the good side of this forum.
A few weeks ago i had a couple of weeks up on the Ribble, i`ve been fishing the Ribble on visits for over 20 years so i know the areas where i fish quite well, i`ve had some really good days and of course some not so good.
This last visit was at the time of year that i would have expected to have no problem in catching a few Barbel but things did not go to plan.
After 4 or 5 visits i still hadn`t caught a Barbel, had a few Chub but i was really struggling to find the Barbel, the river was low and dropping by the day.
I posted on the River Ribble section on this site and had replies from a few of the regular posters on here, also had a few PM`s with suggestions of what i should change from my usual approach and also a couple of areas where they had taken a few fish from.
Needless to say i followed the advice given and was soon catching a few Barbel again, nothing huge ( only had one double ) but back amongst the fish again.
As they say you can`t beat a bit of local knowledge.
I`d like to say a big Thank You to the guys from the Ribble for their help and good advice which i would not have had access to if i was not a member on this site.
It`s nice to know that there are still members who will share information and give good advice to someone they don`t know.
The only down side was that they would not tell me where to get the best pies from.
Some things are sacred i suppose.

When i first read the original post from Adrian i must say that i could understand where he was coming from.
I visit this site everyday and yes sometimes there`s not many new posts or things that would be of interest to me.
That said i suppose i`m like a lot of other members i don`t see the point of posting just for the sake of it.
The reason for this post is to show the good side of this forum.
A few weeks ago i had a couple of weeks up on the Ribble, i`ve been fishing the Ribble on visits for over 20 years so i know the areas where i fish quite well, i`ve had some really good days and of course some not so good.
This last visit was at the time of year that i would have expected to have no problem in catching a few Barbel but things did not go to plan.
After 4 or 5 visits i still hadn`t caught a Barbel, had a few Chub but i was really struggling to find the Barbel, the river was low and dropping by the day.
I posted on the River Ribble section on this site and had replies from a few of the regular posters on here, also had a few PM`s with suggestions of what i should change from my usual approach and also a couple of areas where they had taken a few fish from.
Needless to say i followed the advice given and was soon catching a few Barbel again, nothing huge ( only had one double ) but back amongst the fish again.
As they say you can`t beat a bit of local knowledge.
I`d like to say a big Thank You to the guys from the Ribble for their help and good advice which i would not have had access to if i was not a member on this site.
It`s nice to know that there are still members who will share information and give good advice to someone they don`t know.
The only down side was that they would not tell me where to get the best pies from.
Some things are sacred i suppose.

That's a really good positive post Kevin and I have had similar experiences. Most recently, Graham Elliot has helped me with some advice on techniques for catching barbel during daylight on the Kennet (something I have struggled with).

Personally I think this forum has a good spirit about it, even when things get a bit feisty with some robust exchanges between members. Fishing, and this forum as an extension of that, is for me an escape from the day to day combat of working and domestic life. The forum will ebb and flow and many topics will be repeated and sometimes, this is necessary because of the degree of innovation we see in our sport.

It's a hobby, a thing to enjoy and be excited and frustrated about. Blanks, red letter days, PB's, always learning and searching out new experiences and meeting new people and gaining new perspectives. And sometimes, catching a barbel.

If I want a war of words, conflict and general disharmony, I will leave the receipts for my latest fishing tackle purchases in a neat pile on the kitchen table.

Hi men,

Howard , Sue shouts at me !.............. If there are no receipts !:D

Hatter

It's tricky having a non angling other half. My general strategy is to get stuff delivered at work and leave them in the car until the coast is reasonably clear and I can then transfer them to the other ("fishing") car or the shed. This is more tricky with rods. To prevent a full audit of all my fishing stuff I find it pays to casually and regularly mention the quantity and size of the spiders residing in the shed. I normally give a slight shudder when mentioning this in order to convey a sense of the horror that lies in wait. I find other opportunities to reinforce this. For example when watching nature programmes or I'm A Celebrity. I will say stuff like "wow, that spider looks just like the ones in the shed, right next to my fishing tackle".

I thought I was going to get rumbled when transporting my new Hexagraph from the car to the shed. When questioned, I gave a look of incredulity and said something like "what, are you kidding! I mean look at it, it's made out of a bit of wood and cork". It's a bit the same with centrepins. I just say that they are actually taken from Victorian sewing machines so cheap as chips.

Anyway, I do have an answer prepared for when the inevitable question comes concerning the amount of rods I have. I will open her wardrobe door, point at the shelves and observe that she only has the two feet. That might work.

Last edited:
Having only gotten back into my fishing seriously again this season I'd completely forgotten about the hiding of receipts Howard. Made me smile that one.

Nick c

My tactic is to make sure her hobby costs more than fishing - agility with 3 collies every weekend certainly does :D but i am also into photography - woops

Kevin, if I accidentally but brutally lost my right arm whilst, say, applying deodorant, I would opt for a Hexagraph prosthetic. Anyway, she has found the Hexagraph, just not the receipt...

Howard ..... when you die I hope your wife sells your fishing gear for what its worth .... not what you have told her its worth :p

Back