• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dying on it's backside.

someone lock the thread!

This is starting to sound more and more like an attack on those running the site.

I suspect the intention is to get the thread locked in order to prove a point. It may also be the case that along with other unsavoury challenges, acquiring the "Banned from BFW" badge is pivotal to being fully accepted on the other site.

The comparison to FB in terms of hit rate is at best, ludicrous.

Lee,
this thread 9 days since start
= 177 posts,
11415 veiws.
another thread 10 days old 42 posts,
5000 veiws.

now divide the veiws by the posts and there is near enough the same per post,
one thread has a small bit of nearly contraversial,
the other thread nothing contraversial,
not much difference between the figures apart from posts equations almost
identical,
Lee, tell me any angler that doesn,t seek knowledge apart from those content enough hoping to catch anything at all,
as for which or what threads

the price of items today and the constant flow of new stuff thrust upon us by tackle trade = of course guys wanna hear about opinions ect on the stuff.
:):):)

Last edited:
and as an addition we got nearly 2000 members now, that aint a bad start from a 100 after the team got the new bfw up and tunning,
wished my results at work was that good,

Statistics statistics etc.

Actually I don't care about them, although I am sure that they are important to Andy and the team.

What I care about is whether I find the majority of BFW interesting, informative and fun.

I still do. If you don't like it you have a choice. FO. End of.

Graham

Actually I don't care about them, although I am sure that they are important to Andy and the team.

What I care about is whether I find the majority of BFW interesting, informative and fun.

Graham

I'll second that

Graham

Agreed, especially the FO bit at the end. Perhaps it would have saved an awful lot of bother if we just stated this in post 2 of this thread (no hang on, post 3).

Last edited:

Graham

Bang on Graham.

Lee, for someone who is evidently so scornful of how BFW is now, you sure post a hell of a lot words on this thread!
Maybe you should consider that not all of us find it a dull, boring place. Maybe we don't all yearn for the "good old days" when all the great authors graced BFW with their presence and wit and we could feel suitably humble to be allowed into their circle of knowledge.
Some of us, many of us in fact, enjoy BFW just as it is. And for those who don't, well Graham offers some sound advice in the post above :)

Hi men,

I'm on Facebook a lot , help run a barbel page , a member of another large one , and am Facebook friends with a few on here . It runs alongside this site as something I look into lots of times during the day . Obviously not being a " friend " of the other roughly 1,990 people on this site there is no cross over , and I come on here to interact through a different style of medium . The way debates go is far superior on a web site compared to FB , that is easy to see , it's built for it . There seems to be room for all .

Graham , it's all so easy for anyone , not FO , log off ?.

Hatter

I think that's a good point Mark, BFW is a barbel site, not a barbel related area on a social networking site. Nothing wrong with FB, millions enjoy it, equally nothing wrong with BFW, many of us enjoy it too :)

I think that's a good point Mark, BFW is a barbel site, not a barbel related area on a social networking site. Nothing wrong with FB, millions enjoy it, equally nothing wrong with BFW, many of us enjoy it too :)

FB. used by lots of people, some of whom can be seen on the Jeremy Kyle show each morning :D

FB. used by lots of people, some of whom can be seen on the Jeremy Kyle show each morning :D

Graham

True - but as one who is currently recovering from a specific type of cancer FB has also provided a closed group who can share their experiences, provide advice and of course support as well as a place to let off steam - invaluable. I used to be very skeptical about the 'this is what i had for breakfast' post but you can hide anything you do not want to see - it has its place. I only know i wish i had come up with the idea :D

But it is not a forum so if i want to keep up with the world of barbel I come here.

Graham

True - but as one who is currently recovering from a specific type of cancer FB has also provided a closed group who can share their experiences, provide advice and of course support as well as a place to let off steam - invaluable. I used to be very skeptical about the 'this is what i had for breakfast' post but you can hide anything you do not want to see - it has its place. I only know i wish i had come up with the idea :D

But it is not a forum so if i want to keep up with the world of barbel I come here.

Paul, my post was meant in a light hearted way and was not meant to cause offence to anyone let alone someone like yourself who is recovering (thankfully) from such a serious illness, FB itself is not the problem and used in the way it was meant to be can keep friends in touch with each other as my eldest son does to keep in touch with various friends in America, if I have caused offence to you then I apologise.

As for this forum dying, well I have no idea what it used to be like other than by reputation and hearing from friends how confrontational it could be and it was for these reasons that I never joined before.
I lurked as much as I could for a few months and decided that it was a forum I would like to be part of, I don't think its dying but is competing very well with all the other internet based communication systems which make that task very difficult, could there be more posts? probably but at what cost both in reputation and lost members if the forum returned to the way it used to be.

Graham
No offence at all and no apology needed (i was just pointing out FB can be very useful even if too much of it isn't) - maybe we are all being a little over sensitive.

As you also point out FB has its uses but it ain't a forum like BFW. And as many have said the quality of a forum is down to its members - so it is up to us. But i would be disappointed if contentious issues cannot be openly discussed without fear of being banned - of course personal attacks are not on but different points of view should be welcomed/encouraged if they add to the debate. I am sure the barbel report will be one such area.

As we've always said :- Lively, considered, reasonable debate is always welcomed.
Being confrontational for the sake of it is not !!
I use FB to keep I touch with old friends (who I should see really), am a member of a few single species groups on there and do partake in a bit of Mickey taking amongst closer friends which would overstep the forum mark. (In jokes amongst friends do NOT translate well onto a forum). But you cannot beat a 'Proper Forum' for actual fishing talk.
To respond to some earlier posts, I would imagine that BFW does no more than 'tick over' financially.........as part of the team, we give our time free to try to moderate as fairly and reasonably as we can.

Not sure about the "dying on it's backside comment", I am looking in about 10 times a day at the moment and still struggling to keep up with reading all new posts........... I think it is as lively and healthy as ever, the faces change, emotions rise and fall but on the whole it is a healthy forum.

"'dying on its backside' ? this thread alone now has 169 replies - more than we have seen on here for a long time!"

That's because its become an issue Chris or perhaps even contentious. Andy Francis will be the first to admit that those are the threads that get the big hits? As for your analytics Andy? Your figures do not even come remotely close to the figures that the social networking sites get PER MINUTE!!!! But you know that. I can show you gardening websites that dwarf your stats Andy. But in fairness gardening does dwarf barbel fishing in terms of participant numbers and interest. What garden fork? What spade? What wheel barrow? What wellies? Don't seem to get those threads on gardening sites.

If anyone else is living in BFW cuckoo land regarding stats know this; FACEBOOK GETS 100 "BILLION HITS PER DAY!!!! And that's what's sucking the life out of boards like these.

I can remember when you were really struggling to get off the ground Andy. A group of us came on and turned this board around. Many many more came in after us and BFW grew and you started to make money. I have absolutely no problem with that. Now that the vast majority of those great guys who used to post here have gone, BFW is going down the pan period. And its been going down the slippery slide for some time. Is it because of moderation? I seriously doubt that simply because all those great guys back then knew how to make a post or debate an issue without making things personal or libelous. We just told it how we saw it and always had respect for those on opposing sides of an argument. Posts were full of humour and penmanship. What came after our exodus has now't to do with us. Is it because of your management? Whats to manage? Boards like this are ten a penny and can be set up in minutes with websites being created in an hour or so simply because the internet is so user friendly now. OK it takes time to fill a site with content but even here you haven't done that, others have done it for you and for FREE AS WELL!!!

Sorry old love but the days of angling boards like this one are over.

At least Damians hogwash is entertaining.

Regards,

Lee.

It's hilarious when people fantasise that forums like this 'make money':D

He will be lucky if he makes enough in a year to cover his coffee expenses.

Back