• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan twistlock won't lock!

I've had the usual problems with my Drennan ... but I still love it, it's one of those items of tackle I just really enjoy using, and wouldn't consider anything else until I find something as good (I haven't). I hated my Powerstretch, it weighed a ton! I just wasn't strong enough to hold the sheer weight of the thing net in the flow and landing fish became an ordeal. And getting to to "stretch" was also a matter of using sheer brute strength ("Power"), which was fine if you stay in the same swim but immensely frustrating when doing my usual roving.

Philip
I've had this happen a few times. I just go home get some of that rubber grip mat stuff and me on one end and my son on the other. Make sure you have worked out who is going to turn which way other wise you'll make the problem worse.
WD40 only the smallest amount on the widget thread other wise once you'll make the problem worse.

Probably already mentioned, but I have been told that they usually fail to lock because they have been over tightened in the first place, that could of easily been done in the shop beforehand, as its the rubberised ring inside the pole that splits, so I've been told.

Had mine getting on for four years now, and still going strong.

Mine failed after over-tightening. It damaged the plastic thread in the grommet so it didn't tighten onto the metal screw easily enough. This meant the resistance on the thread was greater than the resistance on the outside of the grommet which in turn meant it wouldn't tighten ... if you see what I mean. Drennan sent me a free replacement grommet and I'm more careful now.

I've been a heavy handed so an' so and messed up the thread on the rubber grommet thingy inside of my Twistlock.....a short term fix for anybody like me that wants to carry on using it while waiting for a spare from Drennan.....PTFE tape !! ....give the metal thread several wraps of plumbers PTFE tape and you have a usable fix...On the bank I can't see why a small piece of plastic bag [sandwich bag or similar] wouldn't do the same job...

Last edited:
I've been a heavy handed so an' so and messed up the thread on the rubber grommet thingy inside of my Twistlock.....a short term fix for anybody like me that wants to carry on using it while waiting for a spare from Drennan.....PTFE tape !! ....give the metal thread several wraps of plumbers PTFE tape and you have a usable fix...On the bank I can't see why a small piece of plastic bag [sandwich bag or similar] wouldn't do the same job...

Kling Film ;)

Cheers Ian...I'll give that a whirl as I just found out that the PTFE will only withstand a couple of tightenings !!!...:(

Didn't need to mess too much with PTFE tape or clingfilm...spoke to Drennan at 4:00pm Wednesday and had new "grommet" by 11:00am Thursday....Thanks Drennan, fantastic service.....:)

clean it in warm soapy water,dry it, and coat it in vaseline,will never let ya down....;)

Mine has the white bung. Can this be taken apart like it shows on the Drennan web site or even replaced if need be. I've had a good look and it looks like it can't. :rolleyes:

I have just replaced mine - it was that worn that it would only lock when fully extended. I had a good 7years+ use out of it. Sand was the culprit scoring away on the internal surface, mine stopped when I cleaned it.

Hi men,

If you need to order a new part you will find there is more than one type , and they will ask you what style handle it is , I think they asked me what type of end it had , but they sent me my new bung free ( it fell off on the Teme ).

Hatter

I have just replaced mine - it was that worn that it would only lock when fully extended. I had a good 7years+ use out of it. Sand was the culprit scoring away on the internal surface, mine stopped when I cleaned it.

It happens over time and with wear. The widget can be resurrected, provided the internal thread hasn't gone. I painted the outside edges of the four quarters of the widget with a coat of superglue. I let it dry then keyed it with some emery cloth. Refitted to the pole (if you've used too much varnish/glue it won't fit), it works as well as it did from new.

Back