• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan twistlock won't lock!

As I said in an earlier post a simple cam lock would do the job. I don't know why Drennan don't change there handle to a cam.
Well I do and it's because we all keep buying them but I think Drennan would save money on not supplying spare parts.

After much thought and the demise of my Fox Stalker Big Fish pole (also a twist lock of different design) which I use for less demanding situations, I bought one of these.
Looks good and only time will tell - I of course modded the butt cap with an overlay of EVA/Duplon to help prevent loss of end cap.
Cheers
Bob

i repaired mine by tying pieces of strind to some coarse wire wool & pulling it up n down the outer pole thus slightly scoreing the inside, then after undoing the mechanism i scrached the plastic 'grommit thing' with a knife, this combined with the now rough(ish) inside of the outer pole gave it a better 'bite' , its not too bad now. all in all 20 minutes & it was done.

ok , sorry to bring this never ending thread up again :rolleyes:

but as you can guess im having the same problem as everybody else

ive just read the last 5 pages and seen all the hints and tips , my question is this ........

before i start cleaning and scoring parts , does the widget need to be in a certain position on the thread ?
ie flush to thread , thread showing a lot /bit ???

stu

tighten it up full so it wont fit back in, then losen off little by little until you can just fit it back in and thats your starting point.

I'm on the look out for a new net handle after having problems with the wind with the flimsy net handle I have at the minute. The rennin seems to have a lot of problems with it and to be honest if I'm paying £40 for a net handle I want it right does anyone have an alternative idea?
Thanks.

I have had a Drennan twistlock for 4yrs with no problems - unless you count the times it has frozen solid due to the drop in air temperature

Just been and had a look at net handles love the drennan twist lock very slim and strong, would love to know how it all works inside lol. Gardner one looks good aswel but absolutely gigantic locking system.
Thanks

Drennan twistlock poles

Men /Women anglers ,if you have the older drennan poles the black plastic thread did used too break they have solved this problem on the newer poles using a different material but it will fit the older poles aswell ,if you phone drennan they will send out a replacement part free of charge as they did for me not had any trouble since ,and yes you can pick them up for as little as 39.00 now.

i was advised to coat the locking system in vaseline, then clean and re coat every 4/6 weeks, ive had mine for 3 seasons without any problems.

re the advice to use wd40 and other lubricants , surely this is applied to the inner side of the outer tube or the outer side of the plastic grommit ??:eek:

I've got a different problem with mine,it wont unlock!!
And I can't pull the inner tube out of the top of the outer one.
Still a good bit of kit when it works OK.
Phil.W

So you pay a good price for something that's not quite there - bargain.
This happens with lots of kit.
The shortcoming with twistlocks (other than jamming or failing to lock) and I include the Fox Stalker Big Fish along with the Drennan is that unless modified (the Fox is relatively simple to do), one careless twist can see the top section of the handle falling out. This happened to my Drennan when my mate hurridly netted a fish for me, gave an inadvertant twist and top section detached. Luckily we managed to save fish and top section with some scrabbling and sliding.
This is where Powerstretch, Gardener and Conoflex win.
Additionally, not all landing net handles are suited to all locations - you may not have problems when fishing from tennis lawn swims but high banks are a different matter.
When considering a LNH think where you will be using it mostly.
Pax Vobiscum,

Cheers
Bob

Back