• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Clutch or backwind?

I must admit Graham, that was what I thought until I had my first Okuma EPB with a front clutch. Now I wouldn't go back to a reel with a rear one.

Off the Clutch - using front drag reels fitted with carbon washers. ;)

Steve (no longer having to remember to slacken off when packing away) :)

Backwind for me, its how i was taught, and it just feels so much better, not doubting in any way people who use the clutch, each to their own, and what they are comfortable with. :)

Hi graham I set a clutch on a French reel to give line and it jammed with a big barbel and snapped me.i still think about that and I would not buy that brand again. A centre pin will give line on sudden takes and I have never had trouble with it apart from casting.you know all this graham.i suppose it's opinions.
Albert

Good advice John.ihad a mate who was prone to do it till one day the lead flew back between us.he never did it after that.if on a river if poss walk down with it sometimes it works.
Albert

Clutch, i can think of a hundred reasons for not backwinding and also as many for not faffing around with a centrepin :) each to their own though,whatever you're happiest with, oh and rear drags are usually pony !!

Variety is the spice of life they say, and there seems to be plenty of different preferences re. this thread,..back winders, centerpin, front and rear drag,.. haven't heard from the hit and hold fans yet though.
Having used 5010 Baitrunners with rear clutches for years I've suppose they must suit me, even though a rear drag adds bulk to the reels overall size.
The little Exage that I brought for chub has a smooth front drag however, but no quick spool release, so if the odd loop of line gets behind the spool on a windy day on the cast you have to undo the clutch and be careful not to drop the washers in the dirt to lift the spool off the shaft.
This seems a retrograde step to me and I expected better from Shimano. I assume that not all modern front drag reels are without push button release spools after all even the dear old 300S had that feature 30 years ago.

Has anyone experienced line twist through using the clutch? Seems to be more akin to certain lines when under tension. Must say that I haven't had that problem, but I avoid lines that change their structure when a barbel has taken me through streamer weed and means that I have to strip off yards of line.

Going back to the start, I like to know that a fish at the net can still run when the nets in one hand and the other has a firm grip on the cork.

Dave

Going back to the start, I like to know that a fish at the net can still run when the nets in one hand and the other has a firm grip on the cork.

Exactly.

Clutch, i can think of a hundred reasons for not backwinding and also as many for not faffing around with a centrepin :) each to their own though,whatever you're happiest with, oh and rear drags are usually pony !!

I've seen Matt Hayes backwinding on the telly so it must be right :D

As has neen said Mike, try it with a landing net in your other hand :) i can think of a few i'd have never landed trying that ! But then i'm no Mattster :)

All you have to do is the old Mitchell trick , of keeping a gentle index finger pressure on the rotor as the critical moment arrives , more sensitive than any of your clutches ,jobs a good un !:D

Yes mate, back in the day thats how we used to play fish, mitchells and old cardinals you could do that but most modern skirted reels will mangle yer fingers ! Ah the good old days eh Mike ? :)

Never done this but it sprung to mind (when using a reel with a baitrunner facility). When netting a fish, flick the baitrunner on (loosened up) and have a finger on the spool to apply pressure as needed. ;)

Yes mate, back in the day thats how we used to play fish, mitchells and old cardinals you could do that but most modern skirted reels will mangle yer fingers ! Ah the good old days eh Mike ? :)

Never mind the good old days Simon , that's what I do now when using old mitchells , with the back up of the clutch as well , the perfect combination :) To be serious , I do own a Shimano baitrunner reel [ DL4000FA] and the clutch on it [ rear drag ] works fine , nearly as good as my Cardinal 54 :) I reckon half the problem with many clutch systems is that people leave them wound up all the time and don't loosen them off after a fishing trip

Back