• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Clutch or backwind?

Didn't realise that you were a Mitchell fan Mike.
As I've got a house move on the horizon my tackle museum is being scaled down. Don't suppose any of my old Mitchells would be of interest?
Nothing rare though,..theres a nice 300A and a pair of 300S,s along with an old Match, plus a 206,208 and 324 and umpteen spare spools,.. nothing boxed though. I don't bother with ebay and they're too good to skip, was even thinking of hanging them up in the local tackle shop along with a few other redundant tackle items to serve as a talking point for other old farts like me.:D

Teme tiggers , shandy drinkers compared to the infamous Nidd nutters , they will have your reel / finger smoking as they rip your line off !

I'm sure I heard somewhere that it was during a Nidd session that the legendary Dave Allen allegedly lost his finger tip. ;)

As I've got a house move on the horizon my tackle museum is being scaled down. Don't suppose any of my old Mitchells would be of interest?

Nothing rare though,..theres a nice 300A and a pair of 300S,s along with an old Match, plus a 206,208 and 324 and umpteen spare spools,.. nothing boxed though. I don't bother with ebay and they're too good to skip, was even thinking of hanging them up in the local tackle shop along with a few other redundant tackle items to serve as a talking point for other old farts like me.:D

That's a nice idea Dave, making a donation to the local ye old tackle shoppe, certainly would cause a raised eyebrow or two with the younger generation.

I have had Mitchell's in the past, couldn't get on with the Match especially, still got a 206 in bits somewhere, the Garcia Mitchell's were always a cut above the later Far East made one's.

My first fixed spool was the Intreped Black Prince, which was the first for many too, 'up till then we had to make do with alloy 'pins as such, and to this day I cast fixed spools much the same was as we had to cast those things, sort of a poor mans Wallace cast, but I feel confident the end tackle is landing pretty much in line.

A question for you if you had to trim your tackle down to just one rod and one reel, what would you keep?

It would probably be my Fox Kevlar multi tip (which might be cheating) and my Witcher Bisterne centrepin. But if the Fox Kevlar was banned, and I was forced to ride through a swarm of bees wearing nothing but honey for using it, I would replace it with my Bob Gill built 1.5lb Torrix in chestnut brown. Because it's lovely.

A question for you if you had to trim your tackle down to just one rod and one reel, what would you keep?

Tough one is that Neil.
We all know that there is no such thing as a rod that is geared for catching roach, but can cast a deadbait for a pike etc. but to answer your question I would sacrifice my Drennan stick and wagglers, all my pike rods, and even my lovely torrix twin tip built by Bob, and stick to the 12 foot Northwestern kevlar pound and a quarter long trotter that I built many years ago. It has landed double figure barbel and many big chub, as well as a few decent tench.
It is unbelievably light and is a perfect match for my old grice and young pin.
It would be tough discarding the Perfection though.
Thinking about that choice,.. what on earth would I do for floodwater barbeling though!:eek:
Happy new year to all
Dave T;)

My Shimano Antares AX with the 1.75 tip fitted, coupled with my Shimano 4000D reel. I could happily catch barbel, carp and chub on that rod and reel until the cows come home. At no time do I feel over or under gunned with these, they just feel RIGHT, whatever fish I am playing. A lovely combo.

Cheers, Dave.

I'd get one of my old Tri cast 3-7s out of the loft and stick a 4000 Suveran on it, that would cover all at a pinch bar the Piking and heavy Carp fishing

No thanks Dave . I buy them to use rather than collect so I would need right hand wind models , I've got plenty of spare spools thanks . Get em on E bay :D

No thanks Dave . I buy them to use rather than collect so I would need right hand wind models , I've got plenty of spare spools thanks . Get em on E bay :D

No probs. Mike. As I said, given that I wasn't looking for any dosh for them,... well hardly anything,.... I shall hang them up in the shop.
Have you ever considered doing a Jimi Hendrix and using a L/H reel upside down? :D:D

Last edited:
Not that it influenced me at all, but I am damned if I can find any of the 'better' big name anglers that appear on our screens do anything else than back wind :confused:

Seems like I am in good company then :p

No probs. Mike. As I said, given that I wasn't looking for any dosh for them,... well hardly anything,.... I shall hang them up in the shop.
Have you ever considered doing a Jimmy Hendrix and using a L/H reel upside down? :D:D

You will be asking me to play them behind my back next ! :)

Not that it influenced me at all, but I am damned if I can find any of the 'better' big name anglers that appear on our screens do anything else than back wind :confused:

Seems like I am in good company then :p

Thats a lot of tosh that is ! Never seen Robson stooping to the backwind yet :)

Thats a lot of tosh that is ! Never seen Robson stooping to the backwind yet :)

That numpty has enough problems winding forwards :D Despite his high irritation factor I do , despite my better judgement, keep watching his show . It was great that time when he nearly got pulled in by a sturgeon on the fraser river , he was genuinely terrified .

Back