• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Clutch or backwind?

Poor old Robbo, makes fishing look interesting to the masses ( lets face it it not a good telly subject !) and all he gets is grief for it !!!!

Sod the masses, how do you think they would cope with hair rigging extended arms test curves and all the other more pressing subjects we have to deal with daily?

Maybe this should be another thread but, is there anybody that does a fishing programme that anglers actually like?

Stephen

I think the problem is making a fishing programme that has to have a wider appeal and ends up like Passion for Angling, nothing wrong with that, but it was a compromise on Angling to reach a wider audience, that's the rub,that's why programme makers feel the need to employ the likes of Green & Co to sex things up.
All very whimsical for us hard core anglers:)

Jack Hargreaves was very good at putting angling across on TV in a way that was none technical but captured the essence of the experience

I used to quite like Rex Hunt, dont know why really, but he did remind me of some very happy holidays down under...I believe he has gone a bit "off side "now, behaving in an odd manner so to speak.

Would still watch some repeats of his shows if they surfaced again.

Dave

The Fishing Race was great entertainment. The clash of personalities when tiredness crept in along with the odd case of sea sickness on the final leg ( Gibbo l seem to remember. ) always make me chuckle. :D

The Fishing Race was great entertainment. The clash of personalities when tiredness crept in along with the odd case of sea sickness on the final leg ( Gibbo l seem to remember. ) always make me chuckle. :D

Gibbo throwing up and the late Ian Gillespie explaining the two stages of sea sickness :) Terry Eustace was very funny in it as well, good programme.

I think the problem is making a fishing programme that has to have a wider appeal and ends up like Passion for Angling, nothing wrong with that, but it was a compromise on Angling to reach a wider audience, that's the rub,that's why programme makers feel the need to employ the likes of Green & Co to sex things up.

Sex things up AND hardcore!!! That may even get me watching:)

Stephen

Recently watched a video of him and his mates fishing with hangovers through holes in the ice one very cold sunday morning it's excellent .

Passion for Angling a compromise? That's the first time I have read that! Well, keep the compromises coming!

Damian

I thought Passion for Angling was brilliant, so was Martin Bowlers programme. Matt Hayes and Matt Hayes/Mick Brown are also excellent. I also like Thinking Tackle for more technical information. In fact, Robson Green aside, I think all the fishing programmes are excellent!

Passion for Angling a compromise? That's the first time I have read that! Well, keep the compromises coming!

Damian

Probably didn't describe Passion as how I personally loved every bit of it, certainly have got the book and DVD's, I must be one of it's biggest fans.But of course it was tailored to appeal to a wider audience with a heavy bias to the romantic notion of what we do, in spade loads. However as a spectacle it was a success and as anglers we could identify with the emotions we have as anglers. But I do know that aside it was not a great commercial success, and subsequenty Hugh Miles has had difficulty in getting the BBC supprt his other productions.
Apparently the non angling public find angling boring in the extreme, crazy I know.

Well, it is boring isn't it, certainly without being able to take in the environment in which you're sat.
Sometimes I wonder if I ever was an angler rather than just someone with an outdoor interest.
I think Hugh Miles might not have done a good job of tailoring A Passion for Angling for wider viewing as it seems very subtle, but that might just be my taste for things romantic.

That numpty has enough problems winding forwards :D Despite his high irritation factor I do , despite my better judgement, keep watching his show . It was great that time when he nearly got pulled in by a sturgeon on the fraser river , he was genuinely terrified .

I'd love to see footage of someone backwinding on one of those things :) Tigers my Rrrse :D

Simon. Especially when they run 100 yards and leap 10 feet in the air within a few seconds. .......as they do. At the time its all you can do to hold onto the rod for grim death!!!

Back