• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Clutch or backwind?

Dave Taylor

Hi guys
The "Special fish you have lost " thread reminded me of an unfortunate incident that happened to me on the lower Throop 30 odd years ago.
At that time I was using Mitchell 300s fixed spools that,.. along with many other reels at the time had notoriously unreliable clutches.
I was fishing for barbel below the weir and had just played out a fish of around the 4-5 lb mark which seemed ready for the net. Reel-spinners and backwinding were my preferred methods then, and when I was convinced that a fish was ready for the net I would click the anti reverse on and net the fish.
Just as the barbel was under the rod tip and " ready " one of the biggest pike I have seen in a river suddenly grasped the barbel across it's flanks and proceeded to cruise off. Because the anti reverse was on the rod tip disappeared under the surface as I dropped the net and struggled to disengage it.
The end result was an almighty splash and snapped mainline which left me standing with rod in hand, soaked and shocked!

As clutches have become smoother and more reliable I always use them for my fishing but are there some of you who prefer not to? As reels have evolved to become bigger and stand off the butt further it's difficult to use a finger to brake the spool if the clutch were not used.
This would not apply to a centre pin of course which I find easy to control how much line to give a fish.
I think I remember Tony Miles writing about this once, and concluding that many anglers were inclined to give more line to a running fish if not using the clutch.
Any thoughts?

dt

I always use the clutch, thats what it is for !

I tried backwinding one time, with a Mitchell 300 and a lively 6 pound barbel, never again, it just did not feel right. I was using a retro set up that evening for old times sake.

It is so easy to adjust a clutch in mid fight if needed, but tbh I always set it up on the first cast, and cant think when was the last time I had to alter it with a fish on.

Having said that, I only use reels that have a front drag.I have an inbuilt dislike of rear drag reels, I had a Daiwa with a rear drag, it was ( is) snatchy, hard to set, an generally unreliable. My front drag Shimanos and Okumas are silky smooth .

Dave

Clutch for me, if a fish really goes for it you can't back wind fast enough. Plus there's more chance of a birds nest, would be in my hands anyway!

Another question is how many of you remember to slacken off the clutch after a session to prevent the clutch washers from becoming flattened after being compressed for too long? :rolleyes:

It may be that "back winders" of which I am one still do it as having grown up with rubbish clutches (most on rubbish reels) got into the habit and have never got out of it.

I cannot agree with the TM quote, clutch or back wind how much line a fish is allowed to take is entirely down to the angler not the method used.

I start off on the clutch then as the fish is nearing the net I tend to flick off the anti-reverse so that I can give line a fraction quicker if required. It can result in bruised fingers though in trying to stop a quickly spinning bail arm.

Clutch every time foe me, it's what it's designed for. Check the setting at the start of the session and back it off at the end of every session.

Clutch on a reel with a decent one Dave, backwind otherwise. Like you, I found backwinding was the only way on some old reels, although I have resorted to setting my clutch too loose on a 'snatchy clutch' reel at times, then slowing the fish down as needed with my left hand cupping the spool.

I must admit I never think of slackening my clutch off after sessions, didn't realise it was an issue until I read it on here some time back, and now too old a dog to learn new tricks I guess :D

Cheers, Dave.

Big fish clutch Barbel, carp etc. Backwind Roach, Chub, bream etc..

hi dave, i too prefer a lightly set clutch uless i am fishing a section with overhanging branches trailing on the surface or a section known for its snags an rooty bottom, i have never hooked anything that a well grasped spool wouldnt stop, especially in the netting area:)

Amazed nobody has started another c£nterp!n debate yet!!

Before I became converted though, I used to use the clutch most of the time but had it set fairly light and preferred to control the fish with my finger on the spool. Never got on much with backwinding unless it was near netting or fishing a carp puddle with the float on light tackle.

On another early 80s trip to Christchurch I recommended a 300S to a mate of mine who promptly purchased one from Davis Tackle. We spooled the reel up in the guest house that night ( Before going out on the p##s !! ) and he was ready for a session on the Royalty the next day.
We had a wander down to Johnsons the following morning and my mate asked for some advice on best methods for that swim. He knew that I usually trotted the far bank channel over a thick mid stream weed bed , ... but considered that far to energetic after a night on the Ringwood Best. So I suggested that a more relaxed approach would be to fish a Loafer float way over depth so after casting into the far channel he could flick the float onto the thick ranunculus above the surface and put the rod on the rest.
Now the 300S had a gimmicky window on the front of the spool to indicate what poundage the clutch was set too, which my mate had remarked on being really handy and had made sure it was set below his mainline bs.
I set up down stream and started trotting as usual when I heard "I'm in!" and watched as my mate's rod bent into a good fish which proceeded to take off.
He was waiting for the clutch to let out line, which it didn't,.. leaving him broken.
Now one of the morals of this tale is of course, check the clutch!
He wasn't having any of that though, and thanked me for some good advice on methods, but said my reel recommendations were total cr#p!:D
Ps forgot to say that he had set the clutch indicator to the correct figure,.. but had gone round the clock!

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5339-2014-12-28-10-22-21.jpg

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5340-2014-12-28-10-21-04.jpg

I have always used the clutch.however some time ago I landed a very angry common carp at 16/7 ozs on 6lb line using a centre pin reel.there are no prizes
For guessing which Reel I now use
Albert

On the odd occasion I sometimes get snagged and subsequently have to pull for a break.Whether its right or wrong I tend to fully wind in the clutch hold on tight to the spool and then with rod pointing at said snag retreat backwards.This sometimes takes serious pressure with 12 or 15 lb line,anyway I have then once or twice forgotten to reset the clutch back to a useable setting.Resulting in finding out just how far a rod can bend when a decent barbel bites!!

Back winding every time for me. A clutch, even when tightened up, gives line too readily and I prefer to boss the fish, especially when fishing close to snags. The fact I will be touch levering helps too as I am on the fish before it has built up a huge head of steam.

Back