• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheese paste recipe

Welcome Jonathan - enjoy the site.
Personally use the dry pastry mix (rather than the ready made) as it gives a little more control to the mix.
If you are looking to boost the mix then Richworth Blue Cheese flavour is a good'un.

The mix is "wet" at the early stages espically when using liquid flavours i.e. N-Butryn or richworth blue cheese,that's when I mix in cheap dried Parmesan and custard powder until you get to a blutac texture.......helps to have the cheese at room temperature to minimise the lumps of cheddar

Blue cheese powder can add stickiness and some water soluble attractant. Addition of a fish or vegetable oil can influence the texture. Tend to use hemp oil (Good Oil) for this as it stays liquid at lower temperatures.
Not tried custard powder - but seems like a great idea.

Welcome to bfw Jonathan.
I know what you mean about skimming through everything when you first get on the forum, I was exactly the same.
However, it is time well spent on a winter's night reading articles and forum topics, you will find stacks of useful info.
Also read the classified section every couple of days. It is a great way to upgrade your existing gear and sell on items you no longer use.
Mike
P.s. one chub on cheese paste during a short morning session.

Welcome Jonathan - enjoy the site.
Personally use the dry pastry mix (rather than the ready made) as it gives a little more control to the mix.
If you are looking to boost the mix then Richworth Blue Cheese flavour is a good'un.
Richworth Blue cheese flavour!! my god they do a flavour in just about eneything don't they!

do you find a stronger smelling cheese paste better on cold days? and can you make your paste to strong a cheese flavour?

No,smellier the better.....although sometime works best on dark or after dark,also try lobworm they tend to hang onto it if it's tough and you're getting finicky bites

Hi Bob,
One of my mates put me onto custard powder,I looked at the ingredients and it seems to be predominantly milk protein and sweeteners plus a bit of colouring so I feel it makes a nice "rounded"bait

Have a great Xmas,the Torrix are ageing nicely and makes me look like I might know what I'm doing even if I haven't a clue.

Cheers, Dickie

Custard powder paste was the secret bait when I was a kid, kept it in my pocket while fishing, it was more black than yellow but still caught fish :)

Also found the smellier the better. Richworth Blue Cheese is one of the great cheese flavours and I tend to follow the recommended levels most of the time. I've settled on around 5ml per kilo of finished bait.
My ultimate cheese paste has an amount (15% of milk protein base in it (JB SMG)) - expensive but it works and gives a great consistency and is long lasting on the hook.

Hi Dickie - great to know that the Torrix are performing and you are well - All the very best and have a great Xmas and beyond.

Cheers
Bob
Bob

Hi Bob,
One of my mates put me onto custard powder,I looked at the ingredients and it seems to be predominantly milk protein and sweeteners plus a bit of colouring so I feel it makes a nice "rounded"bait

Have a great Xmas,the Torrix are ageing nicely and makes me look like I might know what I'm doing even if I haven't a clue.

Cheers, Dickie

I use to use custard powder and marmite on my meat had some cracking Chub on it.

I often add custard powder to maggots to sweeten them up.
Ready made pastry, grated cheese and A few drops of Richworth blue cheese has been my standard cheese paste mix for years, dyed red or green and frozen in batches.
Cheese diced into very small cubes is an often overlooked winner for quality roach. I remember watching a mate trotting a river Mole weirpool using small cubes of cheese and catching some mid sized barbel as well as chub and roach.
Great bait or ingredient!

Had many a quality roach on trotted small cubes or cheese moulded round a size 12 or 14. Always fun when you get a surprise chub or barbel. Had quite a few brown trout on it as well. Worked well on small rivers like the Chew or Bristol Avon.

Very interesting read thanks all.
I'm starting my experiments with Blue cheese mixed 50/50 with dried Parmesan.
And a few drops of Scent from Hell :oops:

Hi All
200gm frozen short crust
150gm Danish blue
200gm strong cheddar
3 - 5 MLS cheese or Blue cheese flavour
3 drops n butric acid
50gms blue cheese powder
1 packet Coleman's cheese sauce mix
Grate all together, mix really well, device into 3 or 4 balls and freeze. Can be re frozen.
Due to the powders in this, it consistently is very soft and mouldable, it dissolves sending food signals downstream.
Caught many many chub on this recipe

Regards
Wayne

Back