• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheese paste recipe

Just as a matter of interest, how much cheese paste would you use for an average days fishing?

Stephen

The thing to do, no matter how much you've got, is take it all with you. ( unless you have kilos of the stuff obviously! ) Then re-freeze whatever you have left at the end of the session - the more times you defrost/re-freeze it the better it gets. ;)

..........and to digress, fish it on a short hair, rather than moulded on the hook, as it can go hard in colder water temps

Or add a large tablespoon of marge/spread into the original mix which keeps the paste soft whatever the temp.

I was thinking the same thing myself.

To give your cheese paste a real boost try adding a couple of drops of N-Butyric acid.

n butyric acid | eBay

One bottle should last a lifetime.

Ha ha!!!!
Wonder if anyone followed your advice??

As I worked in a paint/coatings lab we used to use that in the test equipment - as part of the test for sweat endurance for steering wheels!

Basically, concentrated essence of sweaty socks!!!
One drop would clear the NEC!! :D

Ha ha!!!!
Wonder if anyone followed your advice??

As I worked in a paint/coatings lab we used to use that in the test equipment - as part of the test for sweat endurance for steering wheels!

Basically, concentrated essence of sweaty socks!!!
One drop would clear the NEC!! :D

Used it loads of times in bait Stephen. Fish like it, but the wife doesn't. Bit of a balancing act :D

Cheers, Dave.

Used it loads of times in bait Stephen. Fish like it, but the wife doesn't. Bit of a balancing act :D

Cheers, Dave.

I suppose it would!
I mean with my cheesepaste, I usually make a big ball - usually lasts 2 or more seasons - and I never even fridge or cover it. Just leave it uncovered in the garage and the greener and smellier the better I like it... and seemingly so do the fish! :)

40% pastry
30% Stilton
30% Shropshire blue.

Additional flavourings are:-

3-4 drops of Chinese fish sauce
A squeeze of garlic paste
Half a jar of shipman's fish spread
Two drops of "the source" flavour.

Mix your dry and wet components first as you would boilie making then knead both together (with gloves on!!).
Allow to sit in room temperature in a bowl for a few hours, then either use or double bag it and freeze.

Chub absolutely go mental for it.

My results would say otherwise. Time and effort equals rewards Neil.:D

You might want to think you can' improve' bait to boost your confidence, you might, but with most things the simple ways are the best. Just have a bit of confidence in your approach, no need to tart things up, you will be surprised.

Ahh yes Time and effort you have repeated that old maxim many times on here, and yet the confusion still prevails around what the hell you are talking about :)

You might want to think you can' improve' bait to boost your confidence, you might, but with most things the simple ways are the best. Just have a bit of confidence in your approach, no need to tart things up, you will be surprised.

Ahh yes Time and effort you have repeated that old maxim many times on here, and yet the confusion still prevails around what the hell you are talking about :)

Neil,

Once again you post negative comments to what I feel is a positive response to the OP. You claim to have put me on ignore yet here we are again. You haven't posted anything to others that have submitted their recipes. ...you've just singled me out again!

We have both been warned by the mods. I have kept to the warning yet still you want to poke the nest!

Go out and fish.

Apologies to BFW for getting off topic.

Whatever anyone mixes in as an additive to a bait might not make the bait any more attractive to the fish although there are plenty of examples of where additives have made a difference, what it can do is give an angler more confidence in the bait and that's imo important.

Everyone may have their own ideas on bait needing additives although there are some "additives" in posts on here that are definitely meant to get a bite......... they imo are not needed.

I agree with Graham, I use stilton,pastry and cheddar kneaded together, any other additives are pretty much pointless, a hungry chub will eat it anyway...in fact, a hungry chub will eat pretty much anything.

IMO, bread is a better bait for chub, for me, it seems to outfish cheesepaste most of the time, but that's just me.

Cheese can get expensive buying it from the supermarkets. So every time we do the shopping i always hunt down the discount shelf for the stuff that only has a day or so on the best by date. There's always Cheese on these shelves. I've been known to have a basket full of Lunchmeat and out of date Cheese at the checkout. I get some funny looks. They must think am on some weird diet.

Neil,

Once again you post negative comments to what I feel is a positive response to the OP. You claim to have put me on ignore yet here we are again. You haven't posted anything to others that have submitted their recipes. ...you've just singled me out again!

We have both been warned by the mods. I have kept to the warning yet still you want to poke the nest!

Go out and fish.

Apologies to BFW for getting off topic.

Cheese on the hook is in my experience a good bait no need to add anything, cheese itself overpowers most flavours so no need 'gild the lilly'.
Keep it polite for the sake of everyone Jeff.:)

Back