• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheese paste recipe

Ben Jennings

I fish a small stream mainly for chub and the odd carp that seems to turn up. Until now all I've been using is sweetcorn and fancy trying a cheese paste instead. How do I make a good cheese paste? Is the smellier the cheese (blue Stilton) better than a mild cheese? To make it a paste would I need to mix it with something like bread crumbs? Any help be much appreciated.

your on the right track, the smellier the better, blue cheese, breadcrumbs, you can add some yellow or red colour, or any colour if you like.

Ben, all you need is some shortcrust pastry, I use the frozen type,defrost the amount you will need for a chubbing session, then kneed in stilton, Danish blue,and any strong smelling cheese you can get your hands on,older the cheese the better.Then leave it somewhere warm and out of the way of the wife:D till all the cheese fuses into the doe.The best time to make a load , is at xmas, when all the left over cheese is going spare;)

4oz Frozen shortcrust pastry
4oz Mature Blue Stilton
2oz Mature Cheddar

Freeze the whole lot then grate, mix together and allow defrost for an hour or two. Try mixing in a little Knorr aromat plus a little turmeric. Buy the wife some flowers as mine thought I was cooking up a lovely treat for her and was slightly miffed when I told her it was chevin bound. My best fish to date on this mix was a 5lb 12oz Swale chub out of a haul of seven fish all over 4lb.

Similar to above:

50% short crust pastry.
25% Danish blue
25% Mature Cheddar
2ml Richworth blue cheese flavour
1 tea spoon of Turmeric

Once you have the paste, break into balls and freeze.

..........and to digress, fish it on a short hair, rather than moulded on the hook, as it can go hard in colder water temps

Make a ball of bread paste, the best base mix there is as all fish will take bread. Grate Canadian Chedar, and add some Danish Blue. Kneed the mix together in the following proportions: 50% bread paste, 25% Canadian Chedar, 25% Danish Blue. Work in a small amount of spreadable butter to get the right degree of softnes.

You will probably end up with 20 different recipies that all work.

Make a ball of bread paste, the best base mix there is as all fish will take bread. Grate Canadian Chedar, and add some Danish Blue. Kneed the mix together in the following proportions: 50% bread paste, 25% Canadian Chedar, 25% Danish Blue. Work in a small amount of spreadable butter to get the right degree of softnes.

You will probably end up with 20 different recipies that all work.

True Colin, but if you analyse the recipes, there is a remarkably similar core there. As for the basic paste...you and some others prefer breadcrumb, myself and some others prefer pastry dough. The reality is that both are pretty well the same thing, if you think about the ingredients...so again, there aint a lot of difference between the lot of them...just personal tweaks :D

Cheers, Dave.

Good recipes here, I always add a drop of optispice as well. It's a good idea to make a largish amount as over time it will "mature"! I lent some to a friend one evening and when he got home in the small hours the smell woke his wife!

Last edited:
This is how I make my cheese paste.

Buy some Just-Rol puff pastry or short crust, the pack should contain two 340g blocks.

Roll out one of these blocks using a rolling pin, lightly dust with some flour.

Once this has been rolled, spread on some cheese spread, this can be any make or flavour, it comes in a tube.

Then sprinkle on some grated strong cheddar, and then crumble on some Danish Blue Cheese.

Fold over the corners and then start kneading the mix, keep this going until you have the right texture, if it's a bit wet or too soft, add a sprinkle of flour.

I must admit that once I have folded over the mix, I then bung the whole lot into Tina's dough maker, and let the machine do the work.

Once finished, you should have a nice soft paste, man enough to stay on the hook, but not too hard as it can impede a hook penetration, if you pull a piece of your finished paste, it should have a slight spring in it, test it out in a glass of water to see how long it would stay on the hook. Please note that it can feel a bit soft at first, but it does stiffen up slightly once left. Whilst making your paste, write down exactly what portions you use, once you have achieved your target, then every time you make some paste, it should be 100% successful. If you think you have made too much, cut and roll the paste into separate balls and place each ball into its own plastic bag and place them into the freezer.

Now you can go and try it out, then moan at me because you blanked, good luck.

another vote for shortcrust pastry,danish blue and chedder....also add richworth blue cheese flavouring 3mls and some garlic powder.It can make the mix a little wet some if you add some cheap grated parmesan works a treat.

Best way to present this is using enterprise paste mates(the ones that look like a tadpole) as they really hold the paste well.

Dough mix for me too, any strong smelling cheese but obviously, blue cheese as its a real stinker.

The Richworth flavour or this;

Blue Cheese Flavour

and a good dollop of black pepper and some garlic salt.

Prepared the same way as Brian Wilson

This is how I make my cheese paste.

Buy some Just-Rol puff pastry or short crust, the pack should contain two 340g blocks.

Roll out one of these blocks using a rolling pin, lightly dust with some flour.

Once this has been rolled, spread on some cheese spread, this can be any make or flavour, it comes in a tube.

Then sprinkle on some grated strong cheddar, and then crumble on some Danish Blue Cheese.

Fold over the corners and then start kneading the mix, keep this going until you have the right texture, if it's a bit wet or too soft, add a sprinkle of flour.

I must admit that once I have folded over the mix, I then bung the whole lot into Tina's dough maker, and let the machine do the work.

Once finished, you should have a nice soft paste, man enough to stay on the hook, but not too hard as it can impede a hook penetration, if you pull a piece of your finished paste, it should have a slight spring in it, test it out in a glass of water to see how long it would stay on the hook. Please note that it can feel a bit soft at first, but it does stiffen up slightly once left. Whilst making your paste, write down exactly what portions you use, once you have achieved your target, then every time you make some paste, it should be 100% successful. If you think you have made too much, cut and roll the paste into separate balls and place each ball into its own plastic bag and place them into the freezer.

Now you can go and try it out, then moan at me because you blanked, good luck.

I would just like to Brian's post. Each ball should be placed in at least 3 plastic bags. I know this to my own cost.
Shaun of the 'Every thing in the freezer smells like a tramps socks'

Brought some of the cheese paste on ebay that andrew posted here and i must say it was spot on first session only 1 hour of fishing and 4 nice barbel and a decent chub in the net i would highly recommend this cheese paste and such a quick delivery

Back