• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheese paste recipe

Wow, good going Robert, that will put the price up:rolleyes:

Thanks Robert, ordered 2 large tubs on the strength of that. Got a River in mind that it should do well with.

At £20/kilo it had better be good!

Fools and their money!

Bit harsh that - calling someone a fool because they would rather pay someone a pound or so to do a messy job for them than do it themselves. Am i fool for paying Mr Warburton £1.45 for a loaf? After all, making bread isn't hard is it?! I suppose when you fancy a steak sandwhich after you've set aside your dough to rise your off to butcher your own cow! :p :D

Anyway - it's no more expensive than most shop bought paste baits and it is that good! Ask Rob! ;)

Bit harsh that - calling someone a fool because they would rather pay someone a pound or so to do a messy job for them than do it themselves. Am i fool for paying Mr Warburton £1.45 for a loaf? After all, making bread isn't hard is it?! I suppose when you fancy a steak sandwhich after you've set aside your dough to rise your off to butcher your own cow! :p :D

Anyway - it's no more expensive than most shop bought paste baits and it is that good! Ask Rob! ;)

True enough Andrew. However, when I was younger I used to feel that the preparation before a fishing trip, the planning and scheming, the cleaning and checking of each item of tackle...and the making of the bait....all added up to an almost painful level of anticipation. I loved every second of it, and catching a fish on a bait lovingly prepared by your own hands was the icing on the cake.

Now that I am a lazy old fart, I don't bother with all that....and that MAY be why I have problems drumming up enough enthusiasm to go as often these days. Who knows? :D

Cheers, Dave.

True enough Andrew. However, when I was younger I used to feel that the preparation before a fishing trip, the planning and scheming, the cleaning and checking of each item of tackle...and the making of the bait....all added up to an almost painful level of anticipation. I loved every second of it, and catching a fish on a bait lovingly prepared by your own hands was the icing on the cake.

Now that I am a lazy old fart, I don't bother with all that....and that MAY be why I have problems drumming up enough enthusiasm to go as often these days. Who knows? :D

Cheers, Dave.

People fish for manydifferent reasons but I am in full agreement with Dave here. I think the preparing of the bait, the day, the swim, even the sandwiches all form part of the whole package. This seems even more so when targeting big fish and I think it's the fact of having as meticulous a preparation as possible in every respect increases the chances of success. As Dave says, it certainly enhances the anticipation

Cheers, Dave.

People fish for manydifferent reasons but I am in full agreement with Dave here. I think the preparing of the bait, the day, the swim, even the sandwiches all form part of the whole package. This seems even more so when targeting big fish and I think it's the fact of having as meticulous a preparation as possible in every respect increases the chances of success. As Dave says, it certainly enhances the anticipation

That's fair enough chaps, there was a time when i went through the meticulous preperation for every session but having spent the last 6 seasons on a north west spate river i've come to realise that preperation is nothing - timing is everything! Get it wrong and no amount of preparation will help your cause - better to be ready to go at a moments notice and if that includes instant, off the shelf, made by somebody else baits - so be it. :)

That's fair enough chaps, there was a time when i went through the meticulous preperation for every session but having spent the last 6 seasons on a north west spate river i've come to realise that preperation is nothing - timing is everything! Get it wrong and no amount of preparation will help your cause - better to be ready to go at a moments notice and if that includes instant, off the shelf, made by somebody else baits - so be it. :)

Again, fare enough Andrew....but I have shelf loads of small balls of cling filmed home made cheese paste (and smelly meat/fishmeal paste) in my freezer...small enough to guarantee they will thaw out on the way to the river. I don't have to dash around finding a shop to sell me some, just grab some of my own. Have paste, will travel...any time, instantly :D

Cheers, Dave.

At £20/kilo it had better be good!

Fools and their money!

Do me a favour, what with all the hassle od having to actually shop :eek: for the ingredients, and then having to prepare it, I actually think it is reasonable value, of course the proof of the pudding etc.
If it is a barbel charmer rest assured I will not broadcast it on here...miserable sods :)

I didn't think the price was too unreasonable either. For those who dislike bait making I'd say it was decent value. I just quite like making bait and you can always add a little extra ingredient to your own and kid yourself it makes all the difference!

I tend to agree that the price is not unreasonable, particularly from the domestic strife point of view. I do remember one unfortunate on here regaling the spillage of a bottle of Mosnter crab flavour and the blue cheese dip linked on this thread stinks to high heaven as I had a whiff of a similar product in a local tackle shop. I do prepare my own but tend to wait till the wife is out for a good few hours and I can clear the evidence away, mind if she disturbs the current batch fermenting in a bag in the garage she'll have my nads for cufflinks :p

Know the prob Stuart :D I usually add a few drops of N-Butyric acid with the blue cheese flavour, on top of the real blue cheese, mature Cheddar and pastry dough....lordy that honks :p

On the odd occasion I have added garlic essential oil...but then you need a gas mask to use it...it makes your eyes water!

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
As Dave said, difficult to answer definitively. If I was using cheese paste, I would be fishing for chub in the winter. The days therefore would be short, it would most likely be cold, and the fishing fairly hard. I like using medium sized lumps on a number eight. However, if you prefer tiny pieces on a twelve...or huge lumps on a four...or if the chub population on your river is much higher, or lower than mine, then it will vary.

On an average short winters day, I guess I would use two golf ball sized lumps, unless I was feeding it in, then obviously more.

Cheers, Dave.

Back