• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheese paste recipe

I agree with Graham, I use stilton,pastry and cheddar kneaded together, any other additives are pretty much pointless, a hungry chub will eat it anyway...in fact, a hungry chub will eat pretty much anything.

IMO, bread is a better bait for chub, for me, it seems to outfish cheesepaste most of the time, but that's just me.

Bread is a fantastic bait for Chub, and most species, ask Martin James, he swears by it, got his book, great read and some great pictures of his superb catches, a true Gent.

Bread is a fantastic bait for Chub, and most species, ask Martin James, he swears by it, got his book, great read and some great pictures of his superb catches, a true Gent.

Ive had the honour of fishing with Martin as his guest, a hero of mine. :)

River Wye, i had 9 barbel, biggest about 8lb. Was looked after like a king. Breakfast and dinner were both delivered to the bank. :) I could sit and listen to Martin's stories all day and night. Fascinating man. :)

River Wye, i had 9 barbel, biggest about 8lb. Was looked after like a king. Breakfast and dinner were both delivered to the bank. :) I could sit and listen to Martin's stories all day and night. Fascinating man. :)

He did a BS show a few years back, went with Joe Fletcher, in the middle of the Forest Of Dean somewhere, middle of winter in a cold dark pub, but he lit up proceedings:)
9 barbs eh? Well worth the trip, so lucky to have the Wye nearby, and she is beckoning, right now....

He did a BS show a few years back, went with Joe Fletcher, in the middle of the Forest Of Dean somewhere, middle of winter in a cold dark pub, but he lit up proceedings:)
9 barbs eh? Well worth the trip, so lucky to have the Wye nearby, and she is beckoning, right now....
Neil, your such a tease :D its a 300 mile round trip for me. :)

Ive had the honour of fishing with Martin as his guest, a hero of mine. :)

I'm a good friend of Martins. His chub fishing experience is second to very few. He is a bit of a legend too, abseiling of the big one in Blackpool, tandem parachute jump......and his unrelenting pursuit for noted charities.

Well it still is a 30 mile slog for me you know :rolleyes: Of course you could always move!!

It happens..:)

Dear Neil, if i had of been in the 10 man syndicate, of Liverpool taxi drivers that won the big one on the euros, instead of being first reserve, i would already be there. 3.4 million each. Gutted :mad: But hey ho, life goes on. I,ll still try to get down there a couple of times a year, especially as i have now got my P.A.A.S. ticket. :)

I'm a good friend of Martins. His chub fishing experience is second to very few. He is a bit of a legend too, abseiling of the big one in Blackpool, tandem parachute jump......and his unrelenting pursuit for noted charities.

Hi Jeff, i fished with Martin just before his Blackpool adventure, in aid of the ABF. :) I'm almost sure he posted his cheese paste recipe on here once, but i,ll be damned if i can find it.

Dear Neil, if i had of been in the 10 man syndicate, of Liverpool taxi drivers that won the big one on the euros, instead of being first reserve, i would already be there. 3.4 million each. Gutted :mad: But hey ho, life goes on. I,ll still try to get down there a couple of times a year, especially as i have now got my P.A.A.S. ticket. :)

Although I live close to the Wye, I have fished just twice this season, and both times I got the conditions wrong, well that's my excuse.:rolleyes: I used to treat myself to the Wye and Usk bit at Caradoc, occasionally, and did OK with always a few Barbel every visit, mind you the pressure was on with it being £20 a shot for a DT.

One visit that stands out, I invited a friend I knew online to come and for him to fish the Wye for the first time. He is a 'man of the cloth', so I always had to watch my p's and q's in his company.

This particular day started very slow, and my friend because he suffers from a tiredeness condition had pre booked the Salmon anglers lodge, for a lunch time kip, and a lunch his good wife had prepared. He passed me by my 'peg' and said he was off to the Lodge, bemoaning the lack of sport, I replied be quick as they always seem to come on about this time...a few minutes later they did, come on, and I was treated to nine Barbel in about one hour, no sooner had I unhooked a Barbel the next one was snaffling my feeder fed pellet.

On playing the ninth fish, my friend was coming back from the lodge, and said 'at last a fish' my comment that it was one of several spurred him back to his rod and he was rewarded with a couple of Barbel. His first ever Barbel.

John and I fished a few times to-gether, he would come from Newbury to fish the Warks Avon, and I would fish the Kennet, a lovely guy, and was of a time gone by.

As is Martin, if he doesn't mind me saying, they don't make them like that anymore. :p

Just mixed up my first batch of cheese paste, ready made pastry (Asda has big packs at £1 at present), cheddar and stilton. Out tomorrow to give it a try.
Wish me luck.

Never used cheese paste before! thought it was just a ice cold chub bait"

do you mix just cheese with bread? or do you also use brown crumb and a egg to bind ?

Never used cheese paste before! thought it was just a ice cold chub bait"

do you mix just cheese with bread? or do you also use brown crumb and a egg to bind ?

Blimey mate spend the 5 mins needed and read this thread the answers to your question are all there already ????
start on page one

Back