• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp

Now that would be frustrating, because inevitably there are going to be times when conditions dictate that you physically can't get anywhere near the fish!

Sounds great though :)

Yes, those conditions are; Summer, Autumn and Winter when the carp disappear into the Blue Yonder, the Sailing Club that controls half the pit, the waiting list for the syndicate that controls another 1/8th of the bankside and the 300k of boiliies I'd need to get them on to taking hookbaits since I appear to be the only person fishing "campaign-style" in this section. (Shrugs shoulders in resignation smilie) :)

The small number of very good carpers who fish here (Don't count me in) generally catch 1, maybe 2 between them in the 3 month Spring Season when the fish turn up in the bay prior to spawning. 100's of hours total blanking is the norm. However, you really don't know what will turn up.
And that's what keeps us coming back.

No boats or bait-boats, Tom. :eek:

Yes, those conditions are; Summer, Autumn and Winter when the carp disappear into the Blue Yonder, the Sailing Club that controls half the pit, the waiting list for the syndicate that controls another 1/8th of the bankside and the 300k of boiliies I'd need to get them on to taking hookbaits since I appear to be the only person fishing "campaign-style" in this section. (Shrugs shoulders in resignation smilie) :)

The small number of very good carpers who fish here (Don't count me in) generally catch 1, maybe 2 between them in the 3 month Spring Season when the fish turn up in the bay prior to spawning. 100's of hours total blanking is the norm. However, you really don't know what will turn up.
And that's what keeps us coming back.

No boats or bait-boats, Tom. :eek:

Yep, as I suspected! Sometimes even with the strongest will in the world there still isn't a way! :)

Best of luck to you though Simon, it sounds like a fantastic challenge.

Stu

Did 3 nights out of the weekend. Had one run (2.30am), which I didn't connect with. Gutted.

These might give a flavour of the lake though.

North end. On a misty-ish morning you can't see the far side. About 800 metres.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Looking north towards the first pic. Also about 800 metres.

picture.php
[/IMG]

Part of the 15-acre bay where the carp spawn.

picture.php
[/IMG]

A mini-lake within a bay within a lake. Sometimes you just concentrate on what's in front of you.

picture.php
IMG]

Last edited:
Lovely stuff Simon. That second photo looking out towards the islands is stunning! One of those waters where you'd be happy to blank... And just as well by the sounds of it! :D

And, after several years of trying and learning, learning and trying; 20 to 30 carp in 110 acres and finally, here's one of them.

22lb on the nose, un-named and it's probably not been caught in several years at least.

I've caught bigger and prettier, but this is probably the most hard-earned and rewarding capture of any species I've ever had.

Magical.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Back