• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp

Got in on the act this evening with this beauty from an old, unfished estate lake. First visit to the water in question and first cast... Who knows what else is in there! ;):)

2810.jpg

Stu

Last edited:
Cheers lads. It was a stunning looking fish - absolutely fin perfect. Caught it off the top too!!! :)

I hope to have one or two more over the next month or so.

Last edited:
Very nice Stu, wrong species though??!!

Just had a brainwave, you show me your virgin carp water and I'll give you an unspoilt big tench one.;):)

Last edited:
Turns out there are a few mirrors in there as well! ;) Of the top again too :)

2406.jpg

Colin, your proposal is tempting, but you're going to have to offer some similar proof to that on show here... :D

Couple of crackers there Stu,
My lad managed a new PB also off the top this week a stunning 30lb 8oz mirror.

Colin, your proposal is tempting, but you're going to have to offer some similar proof to that on show here... :D

Stu, your pics only serve to show you've caught a couple lovely looking carp, there are dozens of lakes in my locality that offer that and bigger but that's not what I'm after.
Virgin fish, now that is a truly rare commodity.

But if my word ain't good enough, I'll keep me untapped/unspoilt tinca water to myself and settle for my newly acquired syndicate water and two clubs with pits near Witney to suffice my carp lusts.;):)

Stu, your pics only serve to show you've caught a couple lovely looking carp

Oh Colin, you do make me chuckle! Other than that, what else do you think I was trying to prove?! I merely thought that people viewing the Carp thread might appreciate a couple of good looking fish - there wasn't even any mentioned of their weight!!!!! :D :D

Your word is plenty good enough, and after the tips and pointers you've given me, you'll be first in line for a few location details once I've emptied the place! Relax! Ha ha! :p

Was out for a wander today and found some huge grassies in a corner of the lake. I only had light tench gear with me so didn't have a crack for them.
Driving home, i got to thinking......i don't even know the best way to fish for grass carp!!
I've caught a few accidentally years ago but is there any specific method that is best to target them?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I've caught the majority of my grassies off the top on sunny days with nothing more complicated then a freelined piece of crust. Got to be worth a go, especially is they're tucked up in the corner of the lake.

Stu

Last edited:
They'll take critically balanced bottom baits no probs - I've had all my Grassies this way (Accidental captures) . I can only assume that to bottom feed, they open their mouths, flare their gills, and everything in the vicinity flies in!!

BTW Stu - A couple of very nice fish.

Last edited:
Stu, your pics only serve to show you've caught a couple lovely looking carp, there are dozens of lakes in my locality that offer that and bigger but that's not what I'm after.
Virgin fish, now that is a truly rare commodity.

But if my word ain't good enough, I'll keep me untapped/unspoilt tinca water to myself and settle for my newly acquired syndicate water and two clubs with pits near Witney to suffice my carp lusts.;):)

An "unfished estate lake".
Sounds pretty good to me. They're usually beautiful places to be with lovely old carp. Weights in these places are irrelevant, it's the joy and privilege of being there.

Virgin fish? I'm currently on a 100+ acre pit with an unknown, small carp population, tench to 14+lb, Bream to possibly 20lb, Eels to potentially 10lb.............................

all extremely difficult to catch since they're largely unfished for, uncaught and pre-occupied with naturals.
Oh yes, I can access approximately 1/15th of the lake.

I had a couple of Mirrors swim under my rod, the bigger probably 40lb+, some Commons, the biggest upper 30, they barely know what bait is. None of them named, as far as I know.

I love the challenge and pursuit of the unknown in picturesque surroundings and this has that in Spades.
On the other hand, I'd bite an arm off for an estate lake like Steve's*.

Edit: Stuart's. Sorry!

Last edited:
An I'm currently on a 100+ acre pit with an unknown, small carp population, tench to 14+lb, Bream to possibly 20lb, Eels to potentially 10lb.............................

all extremely difficult to catch since they're largely unfished for, uncaught and pre-occupied with naturals.
Oh yes, I can access approximately 1/15th of the lake.

I had a couple of Mirrors swim under my rod, the bigger probably 40lb+, some Commons, the biggest upper 30, they barely know what bait is. None of them named, as far as I know.

I love the challenge and pursuit of the unknown in picturesque surroundings and this has that in Spades.
On the other hand, I'd bite an arm off for an estate lake like Steve's.

Now that is what I need in my life!

Back