• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp

Lovely pictures of some lovely carp!

Here's a few shots of where I spend my time carp fishing these days:

SimonbigcommononYuri.jpg

Probably my favourite carp pic. Not the biggest but caught it at 5am on a beautiful morning in the Atlas Mountains.

Getting towed round a 15,000 hectare lake in a small boat with the clutch slowly ticking away as the fish powers down 30m into clear water is frankly an amazing experience I have difficulty bettering!

This is a view from the swim at night:

YuriIslandnightshot.jpg

The little lights you can see are not houses or street lights but small fires that appear on the hillsides from Berber people that live there. You occassionally meet them, they're as bewildered as we were to meet anyone else out there really.

When the weather is good it's heart aching beautiful.

You wake up and think why doesn't everyone just go fishing all the time?

My swim for a week was on this little island, you can just see two small bivvies on the left:

land.jpg

(Don't worry I had my receiver on the whole time I went off to take this pic so if a rod went off I'd be on it in under 30 minutes)

The last time I went there it actually snowed. You can just make out the hail in this picture on the ground.

_DSC0412-1.jpg

It was so cold and wet for 8 days solid that it took 4 weeks for feeling to return to my hands when I got back to england:

_DSC0832.jpg

But you catch wild fish like this:

Simon30common.jpg

_DSC0604.jpg

Your friends catch more than you of course:

_DSC1029.jpg

And sitting around looking at this for days waiting for it to go off isn't exactly a hardship:

Rod2.jpg

And you wake up to this:

Morning.jpg

And this is the view from your swim:

lanscape.jpg

And a little row out to drop your baits is your morning exercise:

Lakeandboazt1.jpg

And then there's breakfast to look forward to afterwards:

DSC_0780.jpg

Followed by a coffee on the sofa watching the water:

Fishspotting.jpg

And then you get your reward:

_DSC0439-1.jpg

_DSC1167.jpg

And people say "I don't get why you go fishing?"

Last edited:
It's pretty amazing isn't it?

It's Bin el Ouidane in Morocco, cheap flight out to Marakech, 4hr drive south to the reservoir.

Last trip there was 16 days and it cost about 2 grand. It's not cheap to do it at all and you have to be prepared to be battered by the weather. Extreme heat, saharan winds (it's at least blowing a gale for 2 hours a day in good or bad weather) and we were soaked through for 8 days straight. It doesn't matter what your waterproofs or bivvy are like - if it's terrible weather you'll be wet for a week with no chance of drying out.

It's not like fishing a nice well tendered comfortable French lake and you can feel like Ray Mears at times. It's awkward and hard work when the weather's good. When it's bad it's pretty hard going. The last thing you feel like doing is getting into a boat and going out 150 yards and back 3 times. I lose a stone every trip.

The water is so big it's practically like being at sea, and I've been carried away in a current running on the lake once. Both of us have nearly been in trouble out in the lake getting caught by sudden severe weather and storms. Mother nature can be savage on such a grand scale, truly 'awesome'.

I think the biggest fish from there is a mirror close on 73lbs. Depths are from 2-3 metres upto 50 metres. It's not like dropping a little lead in the margins on the Loddon!

Just typing this now makes me want to go back. I like fishing with no-one around and the chance of a real wild unknown biggie (who doesn't) and this is just the thing for me.

Alijn Danau (vbk_alijn@skynet.be) the Flemish carp angler is the guy who sorts everything out for UK anglers on behalf of Marc, the Dutch guy who owns the exclusive fishing rights: http://www.moroccocarpfishing.com/

The organisation is superb btw. I've no connection, just a big fan of the place. Nothing better than having worked hard at your fishing all day to relax in front of a fire with a beautiful view and a cold beer and a hot tagine.

Stunning pics Simon, thanks for sharing. Like fishing at the ends of the earrth ! :eek:

Love the carp lookalike stone third from the bottom in your rock pile sculpture ;)

D.

And, after several years of trying and learning, learning and trying; 20 to 30 carp in 110 acres and finally, here's one of them.

22lb on the nose, un-named and it's probably not been caught in several years at least.

I've caught bigger and prettier, but this is probably the most hard-earned and rewarding capture of any species I've ever had.

Magical.

picture.php

picture.php

Nice capture well done, Simmo?

Wonderful stuff Simon, everything about the place seems simply awe inspiring. Bit too old in the tooth myself to try this sort of thing now, and to be honest I am not sure I would have been up to it in my younger days....but I would have loved to have at least tried it....can't be many anglers who are not filled with longing after drooling over your pics. I know my young friend Gary Newman did a sesh on that lake not so long back and loved every minute of it.

Amused by the picture with the 'lamp shade in the lounge'....it looks like you and your friend are practising for the angling version of synchronized swimming :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Back