• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner XT4000RA WARNING

John Young

Hi

lost a good fish this morning,
reason is the main line of the reel did not go to the end of the bail arm
instant snap at the reel when the fish took its first run.

I will be contacting the dealer on my return home

6675f567-ebc8-49ba-bb29-124e7720607c.jpg

To be honest, I've had the same problem on many reels, not just shimano, always check after every cast.

To be fair for me and my opinion thats angling error. The main thing is to make sure everything is bang on how it should be. Its happened to me but iv picked it up through checking after casting a visual check and a slight pull on the line to make sure everything is doing the job. Thats not a manufacturing fault though mate. You just need to remember to pop your line in the right place after casting in mate. Its due to the pull on the river tightening your line before you have set the rod.

Regards Wayne

Last edited:
To be fair for me and my opinion thats angling error. The main thing is to make sure everything is bang on how it should be. Its happened to me but iv picked it up through checking after casting a visual check and a slight pull on the line to make sure everything is doing the job. Thats not a manufacturing fault though mate. You just need to remember to pop your line in the right place after casting in mate. Its due to the pull on the river tightening your line before you have set the rod.

Regards Wayne

Agree, my Mitchell match reels in the 80's were terrible for this.

Totally agree Wayne, always check after casting, shame you lost the fish John. I would have thought the bail arm would have opened up under pressure though under tension of a big fish.

Hi men,

Totally wrong !. It's not a fishing error , other than it could be avoided by relocating the line in the roller . I'm a engineer and the transit from bail arm to the roller assembly is **** , there should never be any trapping points for line on any reel , that should be a prerequisite in the CAD design point , there should be a consistent taper to the two joining diameters , it's a problem not only on this reel but loads including my Diawa big pit reels . It's a design fix , the fault can be designed out and when it can be designed out then it is a fault , simple as that .

That said I do have to check my lines on those reels or get new ones , so not a cheap option , but my Okuma reels seem fine .

Hatter

Hi men,

Totally wrong !. It's not a fishing error , other than it could be avoided by relocating the line in the roller . I'm a engineer and the transit from bail arm to the roller assembly is **** , there should never be any trapping points for line on any reel , that should be a prerequisite in the CAD design point , there should be a consistent taper to the two joining diameters , it's a problem not only on this reel but loads including my Diawa big pit reels . It's a design fix , the fault can be designed out and when it can be designed out then it is a fault , simple as that .

That said I do have to check my lines on those reels or get new ones , so not a cheap option , but my Okuma reels seem fine .

Hatter[/QUOTE

O totally disagree Mark. it maybe a poor design but it's a basic check before you rest your rod.

Regards Wayne

LOL angling error:rolleyes: I would need a book to go through my 45 years plus of angling school called experience,
but i am going to keep it brief
£120 plus for a reel it should not happen :mad:
If I bought cheap reels but an angling error?
I have 2 of these reels and it NEVER happens on one and happens 70% of th time on the other

thanks guys its a warning for you not a report on my angling skills!

I will vent my spline at the supplier,

having said that the other reel is pure please, a drag to beat the best ;)

jy

Fishing a still water it will never happen at all, as the line has to be manually tightened. Its the pull of the river tightening the line against the spool if and when the bailarm is closed in a position where the arm is off balance with the blank and the top of the spool where the line leaves it the line is always going to get caught at the next available point down to the tension the line has created. Iv never heard of this issue and iv sold over 1000 reels. Il stand by my point on this one.

Regards Wayne

Hi men ,

Yes , checks helps , but you don't buy a reel that needs checking do you ?, I don't . The line transfer from pickup point to roller should be seamless , and are on lots of reels , including really old reels .

Hatter

I check all my reels and rods before and after casting, centrepins etc shakespeare omni's etc etc. Same as when night fishing I check that the lines not wrapped around the isotope.

I check all my reels and rods before and after casting, centrepins etc shakespeare omni's etc etc. Same as when night fishing I check that the lines not wrapped around the isotope.
:rolleyes:

should it happen almost every time you cast in? Its a heads up if your thinking of buying some decent gear that might not be as expected:rolleyes:

Hi men ,

Yes , checks helps , but you don't buy a reel that needs checking do you ?, I don't . The line transfer from pickup point to roller should be seamless , and are on lots of reels , including really old reels .

Hatter

thank you :) exactly what I am trying to say, I don't need lessons on reel checking its a heads up,

regards John

Last edited:
John i appreciate youve had some water pass under your tips over the years. And i dont want you to think im being funny, but if it happens on 70% why not the other 30%???

Regards Wayne

John i appreciate youve had some water pass under your tips over the years. And i dont want you to think im being funny, but if it happens on 70% why not the other 30%???

Regards Wayne

Because after you cast was the line slack or did you stop it to hit the mark then reel to take the slack up???

get the drift why it happens most not all???

yes i did you was giving me a lesson this is a heads up i am not asking for advice :D quite happy with my results ;)

Look at your picture John and look where the lines coming from and going to? Your bailarm is beyond where it should be when setting the rod on the rest.

Regards Wayne

Look at your picture John and look where the lines coming from and going to? Your bailarm is beyond where it should be when setting the rod on the rest.

Regards Wayne

what ??????????? :rolleyes:

shoul it be at the top with handles folded in ? Carper? i am ex carper lol

Im not questioning your angling skills mate im fairly new to it myself fellow. And i learn everytime i go out same as every single angler out there. Im only offering advice mate from my experiances thats all fellow.

Regards Wayne

Back