• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner XT4000RA WARNING

Yes, it's good practice to check everything after casting out, no one is doubting that, but we are human and given the choice between a reel where I had to check it every time I cast out and one that I could trust to never snap my line should I forget to check it, I would take the latter every time.

Last edited:
On the other hand Dave why is it only happening 70% of the time?? It cant be an intermittent engineering fault on fixed metal components, im pretty sure these reels are mass produced. It takes 10 seconds to check, surely anglers on the bank have 10 seconds spare to ensure everything is right? at the end of the day the issue could have been resolved by simply checking.

Regards Wayne

Oh dear Wayne..... you seem to have advanced from someone who stands behind a counter selling reels to a "reel" design engineer!

As a current (if that makes any difference!) automotive design engineer the problem, as has already been pointed out, is one of either design or parts quality - as can be seen from the photo there is a shoulder on the bale arm which under certain conditions (hence the 70%.......) will allow the line to sit in this rather than the bale arm roller. You are quite right that a cursory check will alleviate this problem but the point is you should'nt have to religiously do this on a product which should be "fit for purpose" - as inevitably at times you will forget.

A simple design change to either the part tolerances or the parts themselves to remove the possibility of the shoulder and have a smooth transition between the two parts should solve the problem - and as a "heads up" thats the point John was simply trying to make............

Steve

Last edited:
...as can be seen from the photo there is a shoulder on the bale arm which under certain conditions (hence the 70%.......) will allow the line to sit in this rather than the bale arm roller
You can check after you cast out but in certain circumstances I can see this causing problems while playing a fish..for instance, fish runs and draws line then turns back on itself..for a moment there is a slack in the line and then this problem could occur...

It happens ROUGHLY 70% to 80% of the time because of the different tension on the line after casting out.

NEVER happens on the other reel not ONCE why? because one bail arm is a smooth taper the other is not. That means there is a fault and after my hols it will go back.

In the mean time as originally posted ITS a heads up :rolleyes:

So this shimano has a fault then? As theres no angle on the arm to guide line to the roller. Oh and considering this photo is of a reel thats been shimanos best selling baitrunner in the last year and theres been none returned to the shop i work in, and weve sold in excess of 50 sets.

John as i said mate if its not identical to the other then clearly theres a fault.

Regards Wayne

Attachments

• 1394810618024.jpg
    1394810618024.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 250
P.s do apologise for poor picture lol :)

Regards Wayne

obviously the bail arm is not identical as it only happens on one reel.

I think i am beating my head against a brick wall

49d34878-4173-44e4-85b2-4adc13ffc36b.jpg

P1020294.jpg

Last edited:
has a ring to it don't you think...........

Nick Anderson :D:D:D

Last edited:
standby what you want ! It does not happen on the other reel so its going back. Are you an engineer or a shop assistant?

One works perfect One does not . Is this difficult for you?

Looking at the photographs it would seem that the shoulder that can be seen is an invitation for the line to catch on it, I am not an engineer but it just seems common sense for the shoulder not to have been there in the first place.

Some of the Shimano range have the so called one piece bail arm and no shoulder - the arm just tapers smoothly up to the roller. Don't know which models have this but my 4000Ds, Twin Power CI4s and Rarenium CI4 have the smooth 'single' piece (no shoulder)tapered ones. Would have thought this helps to minimise this sort of problem. However, no excuse for it to happen regularly on shouldered types.
Cheers
Bob

I still dont believe its an engineering fault, it may well be Shimano have not taken in to account river fishing when designing the bailarm of certain reels (ie, line tightening before the rod is "set"). For the those who think i stand behind a counter and serve, thats not even a quarter of my job. I will be in touch after speaking to p/d at Shimano on Monday

Regards Wayne

Thanks for the heads up John. Reading this thread has made me think that it's going to be a long close season. :)

Hi Simon, :)

agreed and there are many times my misses says " why do you bother" ?

I could say nowt return the reel and get a new one.

I would not endure the "how to fish", checking and basic angling skills advice from the people that cannot see the thread for what it is,

A long close season indeed,

jy

Hi Simon, :)

agreed and there are many times my misses says " why do you bother" ?

I could say nowt return the reel and get a new one.

I would not endure the "how to fish", checking and basic angling skills advice from the people that cannot see the thread for what it is,

A long close season indeed,

jy

See what you started, there was I at peace with the world to-day, and a little elf was tapping me on the shoulder saying 'check the bail arm ,check the bail arm', for I up to this late stage in my life have never had the need, or so I believed to see if it was set right.
Hope you enjoyed your little flirtation with Sabrina John, you caught well in not too easy conditions.

thanks Neil,

she is special

20140309_071506.jpg

we shall meet again :D ( PS Taken a few Days ago, I am not fishing ;) )

Hi Wayne

can you ask Shimano why they are dropping the XT4000RA ?

Hi John,
After reading this thread, I checked my line after a cast on my Shimano 4000 oc. The shape of the bail arm and lack of shoulder makes it highly unlikely this problem could happen...a much improved design i believe..just a heads up :)

Back