• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner XT4000RA WARNING

whats the Shimano oc ?

Its a reel john, similar size to the one you pictured....shimano 4000 OC

Do a search on ebay they retail for around £80

thanks will do.

I love the XT4000RA the drag is as good as the SS2600 but you have the added feature of the baitrunner, :)

going to get another new one ;)

john

Picture of the 'one piece' on a 4000D.

4000Dbailcu600.jpg

Also got this on my Rarenium and Twin Power CI4.

Thanks Bob,
I wish they all had the 1 piece.
Rod was fantastic, i used them as 2lb rods working with 3-4 oz black cap feeders :)

with plenty of bend

P1020271.jpg

fantastic :)

Thanks for the tip John,not something I would have noticed when looking at a new reel.

If bail arm closed on slack line after cast I can see this happening due to the apparent design floor as current tightens the line.
The photo shows two different lines on the two reels, maybe one is a lighter line or used on a different TC rod or fished upstream increasing the potential for this to occur,,,(IMO)

Perhaps check other (good) reel with spool of line from the dodgy one if fished in same manner it may well have same problem ?
I would be looking to send BOTH reels back irrespective of how many they have sold.

Wayne ,,they sold lots of Austin Allegros also :)
However,,,Upon reading this I realised that I do normally check my XTEA reel having cast out, as occasionally line does not settle properly and the resultant strike is a little embarrassing. I sometimes hold rod with line under finger also which encourages bail arm/line to be in the right position.

Thanks for the tip John,not something I would have noticed when looking at a new reel.

If bail arm closed on slack line after cast I can see this happening due to the apparent design floor as current tightens the line.
The photo shows two different lines on the two reels, maybe one is a lighter line or used on a different TC rod or fished upstream increasing the potential for this to occur,,,(IMO)

Perhaps check other (good) reel with spool of line from the dodgy one if fished in same manner it may well have same problem ?
I would be looking to send BOTH reels back irrespective of how many they have sold.

Wayne ,,they sold lots of Austin Allegros also :)
However,,,Upon reading this I realised that I do normally check my XTEA reel having cast out, as occasionally line does not settle properly and the resultant strike is a little embarrassing. I sometimes hold rod with line under finger also which encourages bail arm/line to be in the right position.

Brilliant post :)
First one to notice the massive difference in Line and diameter and to be honest I think it may be the actual problem but I am not prepared to spend £120 on a reel that you have to check the line diameter you are using before you can rely on your reel.
Should it be necessary to check line? NO. We do because we want to cross the I's and dot the T's not because it is an imperative!
Shawn did you ask if the rumour is true? Are Shimano dropping the reel? Personally I think our reels will soar in value as there clutch is superb for a baitrunner.
thanks for the response
john

can you ask Shimano why they are dropping the XT4000RA ?

The XT-RA (rear drag model) has "recieved a cosmetic face lift and has been upgraded" to become the XT-RB in the 2014 catalogue.
The XT-FA (front drag model, as you've pictured) is still in the 2014 catalogue and appears totally unchanged from the previous year.

Richmond Angling wish to disagree but I would like to be corrected as its only one dealers excuse for not having what he is advertising ;)

Richmond Angling wish to disagree but I would like to be corrected as its only one dealers excuse for not having what he is advertising ;)

I did check with the print catalogue. However, just to be clear, your reel is the XT-FA, not the discontinued XT-RA that you've typed. Perhaps this is where any confusion with your dealer is arising?

Front drag reels generally use "F" in the model number, rear drag generally use "R". There are exceptions but they are Ds, OCs and Ci4/Big Pit models. The more standard sized baitrunners mostly conform to that convention.

Ops its only a typo as it was only yesterday I rang to order the FA not RA ;)

Showing as in stock at Bobco if you end up stuck. It would be fairly unusual for Shimano to officially discontinue a model in the current catalogue before August/September. However, those items slated for replacement can get difficult to obtain as the year drags on.

I have been using a pair of XT4000FC as pictured John without any issue for two years. I always check the bail arm when setting the rod as I have with all reels. I have bent them on reels in the past so they do not always close properly, also get line wraps around the end of the bail (bad with braid). I see it as a part of angling, just like checking hook points are sharp before using them. do you check hook points John?

Last edited:
Just thrown 6 pkts of Korum hooks away as when inspected with a jewlers glass after a minor snag the point although felt sharp was turned over

the best kit in my tackle box is a sharpner from the USA

Back to the reel

one works perfect one does not one goes back and one orders another with no fault :)

Just thrown 6 pkts of Korum hooks away as when inspected with a jewlers glass after a minor snag the point although felt sharp was turned over

Back to the reel

one works perfect one does not one goes back and one orders another with no fault :)

Ah, OK, you got a faulty one? Fair enough, I must have missed that, thought you were saying it was a bad design and you shouldn't have to check line.

You have a hook sharpener and you threw away 6 packets of hooks (I'll assume ten per pack) 60 hooks??? Why not sharpen them with your sharpener? Orsend them back to korum?

This guy called me a dreamer. Hahahahahaha.

you must love me the way you follow me about

At £1.65 a pkt ; they went in the bin

Nothing wrong with the other Korum hook patterns I am using, sharpen this pattern i threw away to remove the turn over you would end up with no point.

Why do you keep questioning me?

My pics are up, people on here have fished with me.

You, well thats another story :rolleyes: how many boilies and hemp :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back to the reel

If the sharpener is that good why didn't you use it? Or am i missing something?

Back