• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Baitrunner XT4000RA WARNING

Im not questioning your angling skills mate im fairly new to it myself fellow. And i learn everytime i go out same as every single angler out there. Im only offering advice mate from my experiances thats all fellow.

Regards Wayne

thanks but i never asked for any angling skills , i have purchased 2 of these reels one works and one does not perform as should do or as expected lol pics show why its a heads up for fellow buyers.

funny how a pic tells a thousand words ??

Last edited:
Wayne I hear what you are saying. But your wrong about experience. Someone can fish there whole life the wrong way and think they have X amount of years fishing experience. But it doesn't mean it's the correct way to fish.

Not at all John, what im saying is the roller should be to the right of the blank when setting the rod as the line is pulling left rather than right towards the tapered connection of the bailarm and roller mate.

Regards Wayne

Wayne I hear what you are saying. But your wrong about experience. Someone can fish there whole life the wrong way and think they have X amount of years fishing experience. But it doesn't mean it's the correct way to fish.

you know best pal ;):rolleyes:

All im saying is its not a fault mate.

Regards Wayne

are you sure?

i have 2 and it happens only on one. Would you like to buy it off me? They are worth £120 its 4 weeks old money where your mouth is £50 and its yours?:D

Lol. It would be silly as id pay more for it second hand than i would new ;). Thanks for the other though fellow. Besides the gearing would last 5 mins with me crancking 8oz leads in on the trent ;)

Regards Wayne

lost me there pal with your last post.

you can buy them for less than £50 new? OK. Just get me another? let me know how you would like paying?

Hi Steve Foran?

see above why I posted about £50 for the reel!

Prior to retiring, I was a design/project engineer in the automotive industry and I have to agree with Wayne. When fishing in a hard pulling current, line can lodge against the bail arm. I've noticed this with many different reels over the years. An experienced angler will always check that the line is correctly seated on the roller. Attention to detail ensures that some anglers will always be a cut above the average!

Prior to retiring, I was a design/project engineer in the automotive industry and I have to agree with Wayne. When fishing in a hard pulling current, line can lodge against the bail arm. I've noticed this with many different reels over the years. An experienced angler will always check that the line is correctly seated on the roller. Attention to detail ensures that some anglers will always be a cut above the average!

Extremely wise words Roger.

Is it me or do we anglers only ever lose good fish too?

My first Mitchell 300 had a half bail arm - it's too far back to remember whether I had problems with it!

Attachments

• Mitchell half bail.jpg
    Mitchell half bail.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I have NEVER had that problem in well over 60 years of fishing, using umpteen different reels....and I am no great shakes as an angler, so I can't fairly say that it is my skills that have brought about that happy situation. Because it has never happened to me, I never bother checking. Anyone who checks EVERY possible contingency while fishing needs to get a new hobby....you are supposed to be relaxing and enjoying yourself, not displaying symptoms of severe OCD.

In my book, if John has two reels that are supposedly identical...but one has something different about it, something that causes the line to catch on the bail/bail roller junction, while the other does not have that issue...then that is a pretty reasonable definition of a FAULT with that reel. Whether or not John should have checked is not the issue....it shouldn't need checking, because it shouldn't be possible. It NEVER happens on the other reel, which proves that it has NOTHING to do with the way John fishes. End of.

Cheers, Dave.

only joking

John if you read an earlier thread on the Daiwa Emcast there are useful tips on fixing dodgy bail arms using glue and tape :rolleyes::p;);)

Thank you for the post Dave :)
I was trying to help fellow anglers before they made a purchase as they are quite popular.
regards jy

On the other hand Dave why is it only happening 70% of the time?? It cant be an intermittent engineering fault on fixed metal components, im pretty sure these reels are mass produced. It takes 10 seconds to check, surely anglers on the bank have 10 seconds spare to ensure everything is right? at the end of the day the issue could have been resolved by simply checking.

Regards Wayne

Back