• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Predation Action Group

Ah yes, the default setting of the modern mass debater - crude insult.

Paul,
If you weren't so very very sad i might even find your dribblings amusing, have you been on the weed again mate ? You seem to be confused again on the subject matter ..... it's about the stance taken by the Predation action group ;)

As for Slough, and immigrants,and your not so veiled jibe at my home town, didn't go unnoticed.... Was the analogy supposed to be unwanted immigrants, comparing with Otters etc ? Dear oh dear Paul, i thought even you could have done better than that :( Oh and by the way you forgot the Scottish !

Get a Grip old son for gods sake ;)

Ian.

Thanks, Ian. Rather late, though - late-night Dutch (foreign) courage...?

This otter matter really does attract some very strong, personally directed opinions, doesn't it?

Rather like the several matters / issues we British are currently being encouraged to become concerned, then disgruntled, then really outraged about by politicos who, like me (I went to school with such power-playing sorts - it takes one to know one, after all), know the age-old workings and efficacy of divide and rule of the easily worked-up hard-working masses. Think about it when you are next worrying about paying a utilities bill or your mortgage when they're suddenly out of the picture and incommunicado on their top resort, top lodge skiiing "hols" - The world's most expensive ski chalets - Telegraph - to return refreshed and continue taking the wee-wee out of the Rest as "People Like Us" always do. Think about it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ian. Rather late, though - late-night Dutch (foreign) courage...?

This otter matter really does attract some very strong, personally directed opinions, doesn't it?

Rather like the several matters / issues we British are currently being encouraged to become concerned, then disgruntled, then really outraged about by politicos who, like me (I went to school with such power-playing sorts - it takes one to know one, after all), know the age-old workings and efficacy of divide and rule of the easily worked-up hard-working masses. Think about it when you are next worrying about paying a utilities bill or your mortgage when they're suddenly out of the picture and incommunicado on their top resort, top lodge skiiing "hols" - The world's most expensive ski chalets - Telegraph - to return refreshed and continue taking the wee-wee out of the Rest as "People Like Us" always do. Think about it.

Dutch courage to answer you Paul ? you must be having a bubble mate !!!!!!

Actually i've had a busy evening after fishing all day, my first chance to get online, and what do i find, a snidey little inuendo about Slough, after i had posted earlier in the thread, not the first time you've done it, once again wrapping your little ditties up in your flowery language, but everyone on here knows what you're at, and is what i meant by you being so sad wishing to turn a sensible thread started by Andy in an attempt to start a meaningful debate on a contentious subject, into once again a slanging match, and the fulfilment of your own personal agenda's digressing into god knows what ????
Maybe i've taken your bait, hook line and sinker contributing to your little games, but with the comment about Slough i couldn't resist it - Sorry Andy :eek:

Your comment
'This otter matter really does attract some very strong, personally directed opinions, doesn't it?'

You're right it does, and it seems to be you kicking it off every time.

So no matter what you come back with i'm not going to pander to your attempts to wreck this thread, i'm not going to answer.

You really are like a pane of glass Paul, everyone on here can see right through you. sad so sad :(

Ian.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Last edited:
History repeating itself here and descending into what looks uncannily like lost the argument, last the plot farce. Proof if ever it were needed that this issue is totally toxic to our pastime and to its participants; proof, too, that some will stop at nothing to get their opinion across and are prepared to insult and shout down and silence anyone who does not see things their way, who won't fall into "Why bother?" apathy or a cowed silence and so give them an easy ride. Says a lot about modern Angling, I believe, and just as much about the sort of people many of we Brits have become - blinkered, abrasive, selfish little people, mugging each other for mere pennies whilst the big money is stolen quite "legally" right under our very noses. So, chaps, carry on, froth and foam ineffectually about otters, call your perceived enemies just what the devil you like; it's lost you the debate before it even started, by earning you the quiet contempt of people far bigger and more important than me who you really needed to impress, sway and have on your side.

In hindsight my previous post is a complete contradiction of the point I was trying to make and I would like to apologize to Paul and have now addressed this, however my stance stays that personal and snide comments from all parties dilutes what we needs to be addressed, the future of angling.

We live in a society that demands the “instant” such as the water we demand (My local Windrush river is testament to abstraction) the instant angler (commercials).

As for otters they are only a small part of the bigger picture anglers will face in future, it is a sad situation that the “rise/introduction” of the otter and the decline in the eel populous crossed paths, sadly this argument we will never win the general public over they will always vote for warm, furry and cute opposed cold, scaly and boring.

inless im misunderstanding the thread, and to be fare it gets a little tedious reading it all, i cant help but feel how the environment agency should not play a part in this , can anyone explain to me without making things over complicated why , anglers cant simpley stop buying rod licences.

inless im misunderstanding the thread, and to be fare it gets a little tedious reading it all, i cant help but feel how the environment agency should not play a part in this , can anyone explain to me without making things over complicated why , anglers cant simpley stop buying rod licences.

Statute?

but how can they inforce the law if every angler boycotts buying a rod licence for a year, the amount of money involved is to much to go un noticed

but how can they inforce the law if every angler boycotts buying a rod licence for a year, the amount of money involved is to much to go un noticed

At a guess, they'd take every angler they caught fishing without a licence to court and end up with more money than they would have got in the first place. All the anglers caught would end up with a hefty bill and a criminal record.
If you've no objection, you can crack on with your boycott without me.

i dissagree, but it would need every body to take part in it.
Appart from supporting orginisations such as PAG and the angling trust how on earth are anglers going to get the message across and get through what seems to be all this red tape, otherwise the problems our waterways face now are only going to get worse.

i dissagree, but it would need every body to take part in it.
Appart from supporting orginisations such as PAG and the angling trust how on earth are anglers going to get the message across and get through what seems to be all this red tape, otherwise the problems our waterways face now are only going to get worse.

What is there to disagree with? I wouldn't be joining any licence boycott, end of. Getting my backside dragged through a court would see a premature end to my spectacularly average career. It would also see an end of whatever pension I've managed to accumulate thus far. Do whatever you see fit, just don't expect me to join you.

Perhaps you are suggesting that if it was done en masse that people wouldn't end up in court. Not a chance I'm going to take as, last time I checked, I wasn't French.;):p

History repeating itself here and descending into what looks uncannily like lost the argument, last the plot farce. Proof if ever it were needed that this issue is totally toxic to our pastime and to its participants; proof, too, that some will stop at nothing to get their opinion across and are prepared to insult and shout down and silence anyone who does not see things their way, who won't fall into "Why bother?" apathy or a cowed silence and so give them an easy ride. Says a lot about modern Angling, I believe, and just as much about the sort of people many of we Brits have become - blinkered, abrasive, selfish little people, mugging each other for mere pennies whilst the big money is stolen quite "legally" right under our very noses. So, chaps, carry on, froth and foam ineffectually about otters, call your perceived enemies just what the devil you like; it's lost you the debate before it even started, by earning you the quiet contempt of people far bigger and more important than me who you really needed to impress, sway and have on your side.

Paul....history repeating itself? You are absolutely right there fella. I don't doubt you have been 'lurking' during your apparent absence, and so can hardly have failed to notice that during that time we have enjoyed a far happier, relatively stress free forum, with plenty of banter and leg pulling between the more serious debates. However, as has occurred so many times before, here and elsewhere....the second you arrive on the scene, your uncalled for and insulting remarks have caused uproar. In this instance, one of the most respected anglers on the forum has been enraged to the extent that he felt compelled to withdraw from the debate, rather than continue trading insults with you. "Toxic subject?" possibly....something is, that's for sure....

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Hi men,

David , you noticed the change in atmosphere on here as well during the latest " that's me finished on here " period ?. Well put fella . Hope he picks on Luton , it's like Kabul just without the dust , violent place , loads of halal meat shops , And my football team is in a area the police fear to go !, makes Slough look like a leafy village !,do your best !.

HatterI

Last edited:
Same old Usual Suspects trying "We wish you wouldn't come on here and spoil our party, Paul" postings. Makes a change from their "Don't understand a word 'e says ... must be on somefink...", I suppose...

Hi men,

Keep on posting Paul , I love it , entertaining .

It's like the two Ronnies sketch , " I know my place " , secondary modern , council house , Luton slum :D.

Hatter

Last edited:
I will occasionally, Mark. I still look at your personal messages to me from a year or two back occasionally, to raise my spirits whenever life in modern Britain seems pointless, grim and dark and Brits, like their rivers, seemingly a mere patch on what they once were and might have been, and think "There is always someone worse off than oneself...".

Back