• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Predation Action Group

Hi men ,

Perhaps , as iv only been beating , but my experience talking to non angling / shooting types normally end up with them chatting about the dogs !. Again , agreed that they poss look apon angling with a bit of indifference , with the normal remark " do you eat them ? " .

Hatter

Hi men ,

they poss look upon angling with a bit of indifference

Which they won't if we Anglers are perceived to be a bunch of swivel-eyed cullers and killers ... and all to protect a few dead-eyed fishy darlings that they'll chuck back anyway.

Must be the 10,000th time I've said that, here and elsewhere....

Hi men,

But we should not be scared of shadows though ? . So we need a group to represent us , to fight , negotiate , to do good PR . I am a AT member , as that's our body now .

Hatter

And so am I an AT member (or rather a young angler I fund at the adult membership rate is), but I know in my bones that the A.T., irrespective of who is in charge of it, will never commit PR harikari by campaigning for an otter cull. Let it campaign for some grief for cormorants, lads, but don't try and force its hand on otters, as I believe you will be sorely disappointed.

"You breed all those pheasants, blow them away, then in a lot of cases don't even eat them but burn or bury them...".

I've always thought that is quite reprehensible myself, despite very occasional involvement with organized pheasant shoots. However, it's not the worst end of the spectrum. When otherwise sensible people suggest that anyone that shoots any living thing, pest/vermin or otherwise, is a psychopath, you know you are in trouble. Right to roam has been a nightmare in this respect. Encountering distinctly anti Joe or Josephine Public in places they really shouldn't be, is a nightmare. Fortunately for me, one of the worst of such encounters ended very badly for the anti. He called the police, but after a pleasant chat with me and the landowner, he ended up being warned for wasting police time and trespassing on private land.:D

Hi men,

As with all groups / political parties , they are made up with people of a common type , but some can been extreme poles apart in their views . The norm is somewhere in the middle , but they still end up representing them . Iv got a feeling that after a while the same will happen with the PAG .

Hatter

Are we hunters? I guess the savvy suggests yes. However on the policy of catch and release can't we persuade the general non angler and future non anglers, that course anglers do not kill with priest or gaff and actually care for our quarry first, in a lot of cases spend a lot of money on fish care and ensure the fish caught, handled correctly not only for the pleasure for another BORING angler to catch but also contributes to the environmental balance of the river system.

Naive maybe but have we tried as a larger group before? How recent was the update and I mean the latest 24hr savvy public, wouldn’t this be more a case of education before suggestions of culls, otherwise some frizzy haired women with a clearance Laura Ashley dress will tut and we go back fifty years.

Maybe a bit of money from all of the tackle mfrs could assist?

Are we hunters? I guess the savvy suggests yes. However on the policy of catch and release can't we persuade the general non angler and future non anglers, that course anglers do not kill with priest or gaff and actually care for our quarry first, in a lot of cases spend a lot of money on fish care and ensure the fish caught, handled correctly not only for the pleasure for another BORING angler to catch but also contributes to the environmental balance of the river system.
I would suggest that most none anglers once that thought about it would consider the fact that many anglers do not kill their prey or eat them as a negative factor. Constant repeat captures with a hook of the same fish, sticking loads of fish in a net to weigh later.......these are difficult things to defend in themselves. Fortunately most people never even think about angling.

A priest is a humane method of killing a fish, used by many anglers are they to be condemned.
A gaff is not a tool for killing a fish, but for landing it. Used by many big game anglers, are they wrong?

Anglers are hunters. Our hunting should and can be seen as part of the conservation of rivers. If anglers start to argue for the destruction of other forms of life that also depend on rivers, particularly when that form of life is a mammal popular with the vast majority of people, then any chance of defending our sport flys out the window. Angling will come to the attention of a lot more people once anglers publicly call for otters to be killed...and it won't be good news for anglers, unless you look forward to a future fishing in a specially controlled and maintained environment set aside specially for angling...like a commercial pond...perhaps that is what is desired by some, but not me.

Few of you will remember the distinctively named candidate of the Monster Raving Loony Party in an election the other year - The Flying Brick.

Expect plenty of the latter if we ever go gunning for otters (post No. 10,000++ on this topic).

I would suggest that most none anglers once that thought about it would consider the fact that many anglers do not kill their prey or eat them as a negative factor. Constant repeat captures with a hook of the same fish, sticking loads of fish in a net to weigh later.......these are difficult things to defend in themselves. Fortunately most people never even think about angling.

Agreed, but now and again we can wince at the odd repeated on the likes of shed from an 80's/90 's

A priest is a humane method of killing a fish, used by many anglers are they to be condemned.

A gaff is not a tool for killing a fish, but for landing it. Used by many big game anglers, are they wrong?

I understand what they are used for ....my post is maybe a little a poorly written,but as far as non anglers are concerned both are wrong...how cruel terrible devices

Anglers are hunters. Our hunting should and can be seen as part of the conservation of rivers. If anglers start to argue for the destruction of other forms of life that also depend on rivers, particularly when that form of life is a mammal popular with the vast majority of people, then any chance of defending our sport flys out the window. Angling will come to the attention of a lot more people once anglers publicly call for otters to be killed...and it won't be good news for anglers, unless you look forward to a future fishing in a specially controlled and maintained environment set aside specially for angling...like a commercial pond...perhaps that is what is desired by some, but not me.

God help us all if commercials are end result , yes we are hunters and are more confusing for the average non angler..."What you dont eat em"

Do you or do we all believe though that the increase/introduction whatever you believe could be a detriment to the river system regardless of angling.....I guess nature has a way of working things out

Last edited:
Back