• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

guiding day with matt hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

This guy only charges a packet of fags and 8 cans of stella and he will take you to his local hotspots down the cut.:D

Attachments

• scose.jpg
    scose.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 510
Matty

Like the Scousers, I remember the sketches well. Strangely enough, before I read/saw the last two posts, another sketch went through my mind.

Should I happen to be fishing a stretch of my local river and perhaps enjoying the odd knock or so and Matt Hayes should walk by, I would invite Matt to join me, shake his hand, allow him to fish my spot and provide him with tea and biscuits. But should he wish to use my groudbait, I would say "No", Matt Hayes, "No".

Another pertinent sketch from the same series that might apply. I hope that you don't mind me mentioning it "But at £500 a day, it appears that I've got considerably more money than yaw"

J P Mcmanus, once paid one million £s for a single round with Tiger Woods, Money went to charity. It is said that after meeting on the first tee Tiger did not speak to him once, not even to ask him for a 'Quickie' behind the club house. Think Mat's price is the better value.
If people will pay, Why not? There are many less worthy ways to make your dosh, including doing nothing at all.
Shaun.
ps bah humbug to all

Like the Scousers, I remember the sketches well. Strangely enough, before I read/saw the last two posts, another sketch went through my mind.

Should I happen to be fishing a stretch of my local river and perhaps enjoying the odd knock or so and Matt Hayes should walk by, I would invite Matt to join me, shake his hand, allow him to fish my spot and provide him with tea and biscuits. But should he wish to use my groudbait, I would say "No", Matt Hayes, "No".

Another pertinent sketch from the same series that might apply. I hope that you don't mind me mentioning it "But at £500 a day, it appears that I've got considerably more money than yaw"

Yes Jim always made me laugh those characters...looks like you have got some new material if they ever bring back the Fast Show:p

I would suspect that Mr Hayes has very limited time each year to fit in the occasional day guiding, what with the regular articles, filming and goodness knows what else he does. Although taken as a stand-alone figure £500 seems (is) a lot of money, it's what he's decided his time is worth. Market forces will determine whether he gets (m)any takers. I expect he does.

When I'm asked to supply a handler (e.g. myself) and animals for a film/TV shoot I charge £400 per 8 hour day (or pro rata). I'm not nearly so well-known :D but I get plenty of work because my services are in demand and........................

I'm bloody good at it. :)

A friend of mine does the same for kids parties and charges £100 per hour. He gets a lot of work. Go figure. ;)

The Chairman on Saturday

Subject: The G Men

I'm a 10G a day Man, myself - spending it.

"Bair-trum, darleenk, I 'ave seen the most absolutely fabulous Belenciaga dress...".

Can't refuse a lady, can one?

As ever,

B.B.

dave

google search engine, 2 yrs ago when i was newish to barbel fishing thats what i typed in the google search engine barbel guiding days or there abouts, as thats what i wanted, hopefully to learn more as you do, we all like to think we,re competant in what we do but then i knew nothing about barbel fishing i still dont really, but i enjoy what i do, i just thought £500 was a bit dear, its still my intention to have a guiding day but for £500 i could have atleast 3 days out with the best guides around ray walton, trefor west, steve pope etc etc it wasnt a dig at matt thread, as sad as this sounds all i want to do is expand my knowledge of barbel fishing meet a few nice people on the way and learn, i just thought £500 was a lot but like other people have said he is an angling celebrity, and of course he has too make his living i understand that, its only fishing though ( my thoughts when i seen the price) but after reading every comment, its totally justifiable for somebody in his position
cheers
jerry

I'm not sure that its justifiable, Jerry. But it is the way of the world. As I said earlier, the value of something is whatever you can get for it!

Matty

I would suspect that Mr Hayes has very limited time each year to fit in the occasional day guiding, what with the regular articles, filming and goodness knows what else he does. Although taken as a stand-alone figure £500 seems (is) a lot of money, it's what he's decided his time is worth. Market forces will determine whether he gets (m)any takers. I expect he does.

When I'm asked to supply a handler (e.g. myself) and animals for a film/TV shoot I charge £400 per 8 hour day (or pro rata). I'm not nearly so well-known :D but I get plenty of work because my services are in demand and........................

I'm bloody good at it. :)

A friend of mine does the same for kids parties and charges £100 per hour. He gets a lot of work. Go figure. ;)

There are no doubt people who are prepared to pay big money for acts with animals. Personally I think that it is disgusting. How they got them poor chimps to do them things with tea beggars belief and humiliating for the chimps. I can tell you, PG tips is not in my flask and should not be in any other angler's flask who has a conscience.

There are no doubt people who are prepared to pay big money for acts with animals. Personally I think that it is disgusting. How they got them poor chimps to do them things with tea beggars belief and humiliating for the chimps. I can tell you, PG tips is not in my flask and should not be in any other angler's flask who has a conscience.

None of the stuff I do is "acts with animals", it's for actors "acting with animals" or models "modelling". They're not made to do anything they wouldn't normally do I'm not a circus.

As far as the PG Chimps are concerned, they all regard what they did as great "fun" and it was structured that way in order not to stress them.
You get a "happy" chimp or an "angry" one. Guess which one's easiest to work with? :p

Chimps, like most animals, do not understand the concept of being "humiliated". They leave the higher ethical dilemmas to us. And we struggle with them. ;)

You seem to forget that Mr Hayes' "job" is to stick hooks in fish. And all of those "trophy shots" we anglers take..........?

Let's keep this in perspective? :)

cos-alice-coulthard-image-1-408223467.jpg

twycross chimp1.jpg

snake2.jpg

Last edited:
None of the stuff I do is "acts with animals", it's for actors "acting with animals" or models "modelling". They're not made to do anything they wouldn't normally do I'm not a circus.

As far as the PG Chimps are concerned, they all regard what they did as great "fun" and it was structured that way in order not to stress them.
You get a "happy" chimp or an "angry" one. Guess which one's easiest to work with? :p

Chimps, like most animals, do not understand the concept of being "humiliated". They leave the higher ethical dilemmas to us. And we struggle with them. ;)

You seem to forget that Mr Hayes' "job" is to stick hooks in fish. Let's keep this in perspective? :)

Well put Simon, it's very easy to put a negative slant on anything to do with animals, domesticated or wild.

You seem to forget that Mr Hayes' "job" is to stick hooks in fish. And all of those "trophy shots" we anglers take..........?

Let's keep this in perspective? :)

View attachment 569

View attachment 570

View attachment 571

Hi Simon
You are indeed lucky to be able to work with such animals...but lets not kid ourselves that be it snakes chimps or ant 'true' non domesticated animal then the only place for such is in the wild.
Your pictures I am afraid only reinforce my view, to 'humanise' animals to promote products is not for me thanks, but I am sure you treat them in a excellent manner.
Just my views you undertand for the sake of a bit of balance.

Hi Simon.

Bringing awareness of natures beauty, through your work and hobby, to the wider audiences certainly brings my admiration.

People often only actually realise the damage being done to the habitats of these creatures and the fact that these resources need to be managed (saved and financed)once they see the beauty of them in the flesh.

Respect.

Graham

Mike,

Not my argument fella, but cannot see how/why Jon's comment could upset?

I only read it as a 'tough choice' between the old and the new if you will? Guides that is!

Apologies to both of you if indeed I miss read the post/s.

BTW, I'd choose Wormy - only coz I've never fish the Thames!! :D

Regards,
Dazza.

I'd've gone for Mr Costa of Marlow - master of his reach of Thames, black suit worn to a polish, bowler hat and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back