• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Baitrunner Questions

Stephen Bond

Hello all,
I was considering upgrading my reels and had a few Shimano queries.

1. What's your preference in regards to the handle and why?

Personally I have never tried a double handle and it strikes me they must be better balanced on the retrieve. However, are they cumbersome in use at all? Maybe the reels which come with both handles provide the best of both worlds?! Those who have the Ds with the big knob, are they good in use or are the standard type maybe better?

2. What size do you recommend and where and how do you fish with them?

My current reels are 3500 size and although I have no issue with the line capacity, I have a feeling I will find those with a larger spool better where long casts are required and the cranking power useful on the middle and lower Thames. Thus I was thinking the 5000 series a minimum?

3. What models have you found to be good and those to avoid? There are a myriad of models, new and old and to be honest it can be a little confusing!

I am happy to go with some second hand which are not too old or hammered or else buy new so all recommendations and observations are welcome :)

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

Interesting thread....

I find the numbers all a bit confusing, I bought a pair of 6000's from Ebay and have to say they feel a bit too big for my rods (even the greys prodigy!).

I have been considering getting instead some old 4000's or even 5000's - I have been put off the 3500's due to reports of shabby line lay.

The double handle is no problem, in fact I prefer them to the singles - mainly as if the rods are in the rest and you are tightening up they are balanced and dont move on their own.

I think if I were going for new - i'd probably go for these

shimano baitrunner 4000 FA DL

The 5000 is a great all rounder and like Chris I actually prefer the double handle after being a bit unsure when I first bought one.

5000re Stephen. Bombproof and a good price

Stephen

If buying 5000 size Shimano i would go for the gte B or C's

I have had the gte and gte re and they have both been snatchy clutch (well both of my set's have)

I fish the Ribble and use two Shimano 4000 OC and i also have a 4000 D (small knob) all with front drag which i find better/smoother than the gte 5000 and i don't really notice not having the double handle.

If your after a reel, a similar size to the 5000 Shimano there is a good write up in the review section from Andrew Boyne on the Penn liveliner which you might find helpful

Shimano improved the clutch mechanism on the XTE-A, XTR and GTE-Cs. Sadly 5000 size now discontinued. Having owned the old REs and GTEs it is a massive improvement.

Just bought a 4000 OC and it's a lovely little reel.

Dave

Never had a thing wrong with my three 5000re's clutch is smooth not snatchy my only complaint with shimano is there discontinued 5000 series of reels when you consider the amount of barbel, tench and bream anglers that use them! ! Perhaps the carp market is bigger?

Thanks guys. I'm after a smooth clutch for sure.

Had a little try on a 4000 OC on the bank and that was nice all round.

Certainly not too heavy if one is holding the rod.

That said, generally mine are on the rests for all too long!

Stephen

Well you may have answered your own question there Stephen.

Could be! The Ds certainly look a little bling by comparison.

Just trying to understand what features I really need in a reel from Shimano and are worth paying for?

Stephen

i use 6000 xte-a and 8000 xte-a baitrunners on the wye.. i thought they might be a bit big and heavy on the barbel rods but no, i actually prefer them to the 5000 size, the 6000 and 8000 are the same body size, just bigger spools on the 8000 they crank in those bigger leads and feeders well, drags are second to none... all down to personal taste, i just like the bigger reels..

Thanks Phil. That's probably the main reason I am changing, to get a bigger reel. I read good reports of others using 6000s in similar situations to good effect.

That said, my friend with the OCs said they don't do a 5000 and so he went for the 4000s as the 6000 "were massive" :eek:

At some point you just have to pick your spot and dive in (or cast out)!

Decisions...

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

If it is a smooth clutch you are after then the Technium is nice, ticks like a Swiss watch, I had the smaller 4000 size for trenching with a float. Perhaps the 5000 size would be better for the Thames.
Another reel that has an unbeatable clutch is the Daiwa SS2600, better than any Shimano IMHO.
With regards to the handles a double does stop wobble but does it matter?!!!!

Good luck,

Nick

Back