• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Baitrunner Questions

I have a 4000D reel, but have not seen the 'OC' 'in the flesh, so can't comment either way with any authority. What I will say is, there have been several comments from those that own (or have tried) both reels that would worry me about the spools on the 'OC'. The first comment was Peters assertion that "The 'D' feels and looks a much better reel than the 'OC'". The second was where Stephen said "Clutch is different on the 'D' and the spools have a different part numbers".

This suggests to me that the 'OC' reel is indeed what it seems, a cheaper version of the 'D'. The problem with that for me would be that if the clutch IS different, as Stephen suggests (which would make sense as it is cheaper), then to buy an 'OC' spool to go with a 'D' reel would seem false economy. One of the beauties of the 'D' is the lovely smooth clutch....and that clutch is built into the spool. Therefore, even if the spool DOES fit....chances are you will lose one of the major benefit of the dearer reel...the lovely clutch.

All speculation on my part of course, but there is an old saying 'You get what you pay for' :D.....worth a thought....or further comment from those whom have both reels?

Cheers, Dave.
I still have a 5k XTEA, so it's better than the D and OC...LOL:p

I have a 4000D reel, but have not seen the 'OC' 'in the flesh, so can't comment either way with any authority. What I will say is, there have been several comments from those that own (or have tried) both reels that would worry me about the spools on the 'OC'. The first comment was Peters assertion that "The 'D' feels and looks a much better reel than the 'OC'". The second was where Stephen said "Clutch is different on the 'D' and the spools have a different part numbers".

This suggests to me that the 'OC' reel is indeed what it seems, a cheaper version of the 'D'. The problem with that for me would be that if the clutch IS different, as Stephen suggests (which would make sense as it is cheaper), then to buy an 'OC' spool to go with a 'D' reel would seem false economy. One of the beauties of the 'D' is the lovely smooth clutch....and that clutch is built into the spool. Therefore, even if the spool DOES fit....chances are you will lose one of the major benefit of the dearer reel...the lovely clutch.

All speculation on my part of course, but there is an old saying 'You get what you pay for' :D.....worth a thought....or further comment from those whom have both reels?

Cheers, Dave.

Good post Dave and I fully agree although both spools appear similar in looks the clutch on the D seems smoother. I didn't fiddle about with any of the spools to investigate the inners as it was hot, I had cba and I'm not one for messing...:D

The spec and feel of the OC and D series are pretty close.

Shimano Baitrunner D Front Drag Reels

2 Brand New Models added to the range
Known widely as USA Baitrunner*s, the four new BTR D reels 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 mo*dels have achieved the near-impossible by updating and upgrading a true old school classic.
Now there are 6000 and 8000 models available with a sensible regular handle.
New colours, design and enhanced performance are sure to spark further waves of worldwide acclaim. Packing enough power to use for saltwater vertical jigging as well as more traditional freshwater specimen tasks, features include XT-7 body and rotor, one piece bail, cold forged aluminium spool and gear, waterproof drag, shielded AR-B, maintenance port and single machined aluminium handle. An improved classic? Youd better believe it!
Specifica*tions include: –
Single machined aluminium handle.
1 Roller bearing.
3 Shielded AR-B bearings.
Gear ratio: 4.8:1. (120000D 4.5:1)
One-piece bail.
Waterproof drag.
Maintenance port.
Cold forged aluminium gearing.
XT-7 body and rotor.
Cold forged aluminium spool.
BTR4000D Specifica*tion:
Weight: 385gms.
Line capacity: 8lb- 240yds, 10lb-200yds, 12lb-160yds.
BTR6000D Specifica*tion:
Weight: 570gms.
Line capacity: 10lb-300yds, 12lb-265yds, 14lb-210yds, 20lb-120yds.
BTR8000D Specifica*tion:
Weight: 615gms.
Line capacity: 17lb-250yds.
BTR12000D Specifica*tion:
Weight: 850gms.
Line capacity: 20lb-265yds.

Read more: Ted Carter Shimano Baitrunner D Front Drag Reels

Shimano Baitrunner OC Reels

Also known as the USA Baitrunner, or the Baitrunner Oceanic, the Shimano Baitrunner OC is now available to the UK market through Ted Carter.
For USA Baitrunner lovers on a tight budget. An affordable new USA baitrunner still packed with unique Shimano performance features as A-RC line management, cold forged aluminium spool, baitrunner and XT-7 body. This reel is a true workhorse reel which can be used for both salt & fresh water applicati*ons.
Affordable but still loaded with Shimano performance features.
AR-C spool with Varispeed line lay ensuring the line to come off the reel with ease.
Dynabalance reducing reel wobble producing extra smooth performan*ce.
An ergonomic machined aluminium power crank handle.
4 models to choose from:
4000 OC baitrunner:
Weight: 380gms.
Gear ratio: 4.8:1.
Line capacity: 10lb 200m.
6000 OC baitrunner:
Weight: 545gms.
Line capacity: 12lb 265m.
8000 OC baitrunner:
Weight: 590gms.
Line capacity: 17lb 250m.
12000 OC baitrunner:
Weight: 825gms.
Gear ratio: 4.4:1.
Line capacity: 20lb 265m.

Read more: Ted Carter Shimano Baitrunner OC Reels

The clutch is built into the front drag assembly which includes the knob which loosens the spool. Thus the benefits of the D clutch will be kept even with an OC spool attached.

The only questions which remain are why does the reel only come with a single spool and secondly why is the cheapest D spool I can find over £40 when I can buy the reel for £100 new?!

Stephen

Stephen...the fighting clutch on front drag reels is built into the spool. There are a series of six various washers in the 4000D, held in place by an odd shaped spring clip, which are adjusted for pressure by tightening/loosening the front plastic adjusting knob. Every spool on such reels has it's own drag built in. The only internal drag on these reels is that for the baitrunner facility, which is adjusted by the knob at the back of the reel.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I stand corrected!

Well this explains why the D spool costs more. That said, over £40?! I rather buy a half decent reel for that money.

Stephen

Thanks Dave. I stand corrected!

Well this explains why the D spool costs more. That said, over £40?! I rather buy a half decent reel for that money.

Stephen

I quite agree...when you are looking to buy an extra spool or two for line strength options, that price is a bitter pill to swallow :rolleyes: Whether the 'D' range will be discontinued any time soon I doubt....but that's the only chance we have of picking up some reasonably priced spools. Typically, they are much cheaper in America :mad: Such is life :D

Cheers, Dave.

Now I'm a bit of a tight bugger, I've got the cheaper 4000 ST's..:eek:
Reason I bought them is that they are black ( ex 70's Carp man !!) :eek: I've removed the cheap blingy thing round the spool ( only a transfer) and they please my eye, and almost forgot, the clutch is as smooth as silk so if these higher priced versions have a better one I would like to see it!!... Looking at the service blow ups it appears to me that the clutch construction is exactly the same as the D!!:cool: part numbers might differ but I bet that just denotes the model....I'm also a cynic ...:D

Last edited:
Now I'm a bit of a tight bugger, I've got the cheaper 4000 ST's..:eek:
Reason I bought them is that they are black ( ex 70's Carp man !!) :eek: I've removed the cheap blingy thing round the spool ( only a transfer) and they please my eye, and almost forgot, the clutch is as smooth as silk so if these higher priced versions have a better one I would like to see it!!... Looking at the service blow ups it appears to me that the clutch construction is exactly the same as the D!!:cool: part numbers might differ but I bet that just denotes the model....I'm also a cynic ...:D

You may well be right Bill....at the very least, if your reels please you, then they are exactly the right ones....sorted :D

I am with you on the 'Bling Thing' too....I ruddy hate it. Perhaps that is because I am an old carp nut as well Bill....no bling, camo clothing, matt finish rods, a brolly that weighed about the same as me....and a canvas over-wrap that weighed even more....the dogs danglies at the time :p

I recall the madness of swimming out in winter to free a snagged fish....of waking up in the morning to the unmistakable creaking of a lake that had iced over during the night, lines in need of some gentle 'ice management' to get them free....of waking up thinking it was still dark, only to realise it was a layer of snow on the bivvy that made it seem that way. And then of course, along would come spring, the glorious days of life awakening, which slowly drifted into the happy, drowsy days of summer, the wonderful sound of the dawn chorus being your wake up call in those seasons, with nature doing it's thing all around you...and sometimes on you :D The beauty of the autumn that followed....the stunning colours of the trees everywhere you looked. Being out there in every season, sometimes for weeks on end....what more could you want?

I have so many memories that are as vivid now as the day they occurred, and I truly hope it stays that way. I am trying desperately to ignore my ever increasing short term memory loss (As we all do :p)...though my wife insists on drawing my attention to it, the spoilsport :D No matter...as long as I still remember the good bits, that'll do me :D:D

Both as mad as very mad things then mate....but wouldn't have missed it all for the world. Absolutely loved it :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Steve,
Thanks for trying the swap.I did consider buying the D clutch discs to upgrade the OC spool,but the cost is dearer than a D spool.However there is a carbon upgrade kit available from the US for $8.99 for both the D and OC's.I think I'll get an OC spool,as only want to load heavy mono on it for winter forays to the Wye and suffer the possibly inferior clutch action.
Thanks
Pete.

Steve,
Thanks for trying the swap.I did consider buying the D clutch discs to upgrade the OC spool,but the cost is dearer than a D spool.However there is a carbon upgrade kit available from the US for $8.99 for both the D and OC's.I think I'll get an OC spool,as only want to load heavy mono on it for winter forays to the Wye and suffer the possibly inferior clutch action.
Thanks
Pete.

With any luck Peter, the carbon upgrade for the 'OC' spool may make it as good as the standard 'D' clutch....and at that price it's surely worth a punt I would think :)

Apart from anything else, the fact that they do a separate carbon upgrade kit for the two types of spool suggests that the aperture the discs sit in may not be the same size, which would have made buying the 'D' discs an expensive waste of time anyway. Or....they may have done it to make us think that way....but you would need to be a cynic to suggest that :D

Cheers, Dave.

The D discs from Felindre were £8 each and there's three of them so that idea went straight out of the window.I must say I am a little intrigued regarding the carbon upgrade.I'll check out how much the postage will be.The company in the US already state that an order under $25 will be marked as a "gift".Watch this space:D

Pete.

The D discs from Felindre were £8 each and there's three of them so that idea went straight out of the window.I must say I am a little intrigued regarding the carbon upgrade.I'll check out how much the postage will be.The company in the US already state that an order under $25 will be marked as a "gift".Watch this space:D

Pete.

£8 each :eek: Obviously solid gold then :rolleyes: They will almost certainly be punched out on a CNC piercing machine (incredibly fast) or less likely burnt out on a CNC laser cutter (slower, but saves on tooling costs) at a labour cost of next to nothing. Barstewards :D

Cheers, Dave.

Shimano baitrunner service

Another satisfied customer of Shimano service posted baitrunner on 12th August
returned today new main shaft and service £25 including postage.

Chaps, I would honestly speak to Marty Mulcairn on here about reel servicing and repairs before Felindre, etc. He does a far better job for less cost.

Chaps, I would honestly speak to Marty Mulcairn on here about reel servicing and repairs before Felindre, etc. He does a far better job for less cost.

thats very kind of you Ian :eek:

set (3) of carbontex drag washers (better than the Shimano dartanium version) for shimmy b/d/oc etc are £12 - just send me a pm.

Last edited:
Cheers Clive. Even more bling that the 6000 Ds!

So why should I choose them over say the 6000D?

Stephen

They are very very smooth in the drag department, the mechanics of the drag are over engineered, and if you ever wear out the huge washer in the spool, just flip it over, they use these things for sail fin in the States, ideal tool for floodwater fishing...I wish.

shimano

this is why I love these site's,the chat is very good from people that don't talk rubbish.just a thing to throw in the mix is penn nolonger make the linelayer been trying to get some four over 6 month's no joy re the baitrunner issue would alway's go for the b series best clutch of all the shimano's

Back