• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa whisker ss2600

Mark Hooper

Hi guys
Anyone used one if these ????
If so any good or bad feedback as I'm thinking of getting a pair for the new season but as most of my approach is roving n poking around n under arm chucks am I throwing my money away. But I do have the once a month treat of fishing the wye hoofing big feeders out????
Any advice would be great.
Cheers
Mark

do you mean the original jdm version or the latest one mark?

the current model is good, however not a patch on the original due to the downgrading of the internal materials. (I've serviced loads of both)

saying that, the current version is still up there with anything else for £70, and the 2600 balances lovely on most feeder/light barbel rods. Although the clutch is good, replacing the standard felt spool drag washers with carbontex ones transforms it to sublime.
Alternatives?.... used shimmy 3500b's if you can find them.

If your planning to use on a heavier rod/setup for the wye etc i'd look at slightly bigger 5000 gte's / 4500b's but its a bit of a personal thing so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Last edited:
From SmoothDrag in the States Chris.
They actually do a multitude of sizes so most reels can be retro-fitted with them. The best £5 you'll ever spend on a reel.

If you need contact/order details let me know and i'll pm them to you.

the current model is good, however not a patch on the original due to the downgrading of the internal materials. (I've serviced loads of both)

saying that, the current version is still up there with anything else for £70, and the 2600 balances lovely on most feeder/light barbel rods. Although the clutch is good, replacing the standard felt spool drag washers with carbontex ones transforms it to sublime.

If your planning to use on a heavier rod/setup for the wye etc i'd look at slightly bigger 5000 gte's / 4500b's but its a bit of a personal thing so you pays your money and takes your choice.

marty , you strike me as a guy who knows what he is talking about , so how can you mention the gte in the same sentance as the b ?? :D

by the way i have 1 ss2600 , and as you say the clutch is very good , id take a punt on the upgrade you speak of though , could you pm me the details ?

on a side note , im not sure which 2600 i have , but to turn the handle with no weight on the line it feels and looks quite awfull , but put some resistance on it ...................;)

in my opinion Stu the 5000/6000/8000 GTE baitrunners are underated, much better than any of the later versions, and although not in the same league as the b's as a workhorse, they are more refined and a good all round package.

will pm you with drag washer info.

hi marty , ive owned both , the gte arent a patch on the b in my book , the clutch on the gte is dog sheet compared to the silky smoothness of the b

anyways , i look forward to the pm ;)

i had the shimano 8000d and they were great only got rid of them as fishing smaller waters
the 4000d baitrunner is a perfect barbel reel imho

me think ultegra 550 ,serious bit of kit,miles better 4000d and cheaper

Marty, do you, or do you know anyone who fits metal line clips to the SS2600 ?

guy called garry hope, on the cemex forum under username Custom Reels.

if i remember its £15 a spool and he'll need your reel, normally done and returned within a week. he also does wooden handle conversions too for the s2600.

can vouch for him and his work, top class, although i dont know why people dont use the John Roberts rangefinders - mega cheap and better than any line clip!

guy called garry hope, on the cemex forum under username Custom Reels.

if i remember its £15 a spool and he'll need your reel, normally done and returned within a week. he also does wooden handle conversions too for the s2600.

can vouch for him and his work, top class, although i dont know why people dont use the John Roberts rangefinders - mega cheap and better than any line clip!

Yeah but they're not as tarty mate :) cheers for the contact.

Hi guys
Anyone used one if these ????
If so any good or bad feedback ........................................
Cheers
Mark

Mark There is one issue these little beauties suffer and thats a failure of the anti reverse. Appears to be quite common.

Quotes from a.n.other web site

"The ss anti reverse are finicky . My oldest ss2600 is in service about 12 years and every now and then the anti reverse stops working especially in cold weather . have never formally fixed it per say just clean around the shaft which holds it in place , if I remember correctly the anti reverse relies on light friction on the mechanism to ingage when going in reverse which is why it is a silent system .There is a very and I mean very light spring in it and it doesn't like heavy oil or grease.

Great Reel....and yes its a problem with these reels. They are very fiddly to service and have a ton of little screws tapped right into the plastic.

The Anti Reverse doesnt break...It just gets stuck in the off position due to old sticky grease.

The best thing would be to get a schematic off the net and go into the guts and do a complete clean and re grease.
:eek: "

I've one sat in its box hardly used in this condition. Anybody suggest where I can send it to get a repair done ?

Although the clutch is good, replacing the standard felt spool drag washers with carbontex ones transforms it to sublime.

I think the clutch is excellent although it has a huge range. I had a mate QD mine so I'm working with ½-¾ turn (They were for a light carping set up after all ;))

................... dont know why people dont use the John Roberts rangefinders - mega cheap and better than any line clip!

That I'll be a production version of Gibbo's Power Gum casting clip. ;) I've not seen them before - interesting.

Last edited:
I must admit that i've never really looked at those rangefinder thingy's, having just done so they do appear to be pretty good ! certainly if you own a reel with one of those awful plastic clips then they are a no brainer, you live and learn they say :) Personally speaking i have never had a problem with metal clips, i use 5000 XTEA's for Tench fishing where i am continually casting feeders and line damage is just a non-issue, i also have a pair of Daiwa TDXs, now if Carlsberg made line clips they would be those ;)

Steve - try Daiwa service dept first, if not give me a shout and i'll strip and service it for you. Its a 1-2hr job not 4! Theres nothing wrong with the spring or mechanism - just needs regular maintainence - a drop of 3-in-1 oil (rather than grease) every few months will keep the anti-reverse issue from appearing.
The QD conversion is a worthwhile mod, but has to be done properly (ie both spool + cap) if your not to compromise the clutch performance. Upgrading to carbontex washers at the same time is recommended.

As regards line clips, as far as i'm concerned 99% of all stock clips WILL at some time and to some degree damage line. The JR rangefinders are the simplest idea, but brilliant - no issues with clip tension and buffers with no chance of line damage.

Back