• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Baitrunner Questions

Cheers Paul.

Been looking at the XTEAs. Certainly well regarded :)

Tight lines over there!

Stephen

Stephen,

I may be wrong but im not sure they make the XTEA's anymore. I managed to grab the last 2 from Cheam Angling for £100 each. Lovely reels and were great in the floods before the end of last season. A couple of used ones of Ebay at the moment.

I have a set of DL6000 RA's as well for carping.

Paul

Last edited:
You are quite right Paul. I am looking at second hand.

Looks like either the XT RBs or the XTR RAs are their replacement?

The latter are a bit heavy in the $$$ department though :eek:

Stephen

go for the penn 460L LIVELINER, solid reel,smooth clutch,bit blingy,but a hell of a lor of reel for ya money........;)

I had 2 8000XTEAs and I found them the worst baitrunner I had ever used. The drag and baitrunner was awfull. I now used Thunnus 8000, 4000D and medium longcasts. The common denominator is they all have independent front drags and baitrunner facilities. Also a med longcast weighs less than an ounce heavier than an 8000XTEA.

I had 2 8000XTEAs and I found them the worst baitrunner I had ever used. The drag and baitrunner was awfull. I now used Thunnus 8000, 4000D and medium longcasts. The common denominator is they all have independent front drags and baitrunner facilities. Also a med longcast weighs less than an ounce heavier than an 8000XTEA.

Thanks Jon. I take it you got the Thunnus reels from the US?

Certainly heard good things about the Ds.

Stephen

Just out of interest Stephen, was you this thorough/fussy when selecting a bride ? :D

Well you don't want to make a mistake, especially in the bride department :D

I suppose I am pretty fussy. I have made rash decisions before and regretted it later. However, sometimes the longer you look the more confusing it can get!

Ultimately, you want something that has the right features and looks that you can live with. Some prefer bling whist others plain but for sure, the aesthetics must be pleasing! No point having all the bells and whistles but the look isn't good.

Anyhow, back to the reels :eek:

These Penn reels have an "infinite anti-reverse"? Looks like the clutch better be more than good! Not sure I like the idea of never being able to backwind :confused:

That said, the look of the new Spinfisher Vs seem to be in the right direction. Let's see if the video can sell it to me?

Stephen

Stephen,
I have a pair of the original jap 3000 bait runners, these are the ones before they were re marketed as the 5000's. they are in excellent condition,single handled but no spare spools.
Hardly ever use them these days so would sell if interested ?

Nick

Thanks for the offer Nick.

I think I've set my heart on some 6000s. Maybe the OC or else the Ds if I can find them at the right price.

Let's see what happens!

Stephen

Tackle fanatics have them for £99 each and have a pair in stock ?

Thanks for the offer Nick.

I think I've set my heart on some 6000s. Maybe the OC or else the Ds if I can find them at the right price.

Let's see what happens!

Stephen

Stephen
I've just picked up a pair of 6000Ds, with the normal handle for £99.99 each inc p&p from Ted Carter's

Cheers
Mark

Called Ted Carter and spoke to the manager Dave Moult.

They kindly matched Mark's price and I have a pair of 6000D EUs on order :)

Spawning is late this year but Christmas comes early :D

Stephen

i doubt that you will be dissapointed with that purchase ;)

seen a few threads recently about reel choice and some of the suggestions have had my head shaking

Stephen,
My tackle shop have told me the 6000EU's won't be in the country until August,hope you prove me wrong.Good choice though.
Regards
Pete.

Back