• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Baitrunner Questions

Called Ted Carter and spoke to the manager Dave Moult.

They kindly matched Mark's price and I have a pair of 6000D EUs on order :)

Spawning is late this year but Christmas comes early :D

Stephen

Stephen
I ordered mine the beginning of last week, they were due in from Shimano the end of the week and I received them on Tuesday. I can't fault the service from Ted Carters
Looking forward to using them in anger now on my week down the Wye :)

Cheers
Mark

Nice one Mark. Many thanks :)

I'd used Ted Carter a good few times in the past, largely for lead and feeders using the 1p shipping and they have always been excellent.

Stephen

Question for you oc users. I had a 4000d but after the bail arm breaking I sold it. Like the look of these as in the pics the bail arm looks stronger. Is it? Is the clutch as good as the 4000d?

Question for you oc users. I had a 4000d but after the bail arm breaking I sold it. Like the look of these as in the pics the bail arm looks stronger. Is it? Is the clutch as good as the 4000d?

Ive got two 8000D eu use them for small carp lakes and barbel fishing the bail arm is very strong and robust maybe u just got un lucky. the oc version just seem slightly cheaper with a silver spool allthough the D version is now lower in price than it use to be.

The reels arrived from Ted Carter just now :)

Certainly look and feel impressive.

Looks like my first river trip of the season won't be too long now :D

Thanks once again for all your help. A special thanks to Mark for your posts!

Tight lines.

Stephen

Nothing wrong with the non sensible handles though:D.Couldn't wait for the EU's to come in so got the stars'n'stripes model.The D feels and looks a much better reel than the OC,but some shops aren't stocking the D anymore due to the price difference to the OC.Still need someone to find out if the D and OC spools are interchangeable as the OC's are half the price.Exhausted my lines of enquiry without getting a definitive answer.

Pete.

Interesting thread....

I find the numbers all a bit confusing, I bought a pair of 6000's from Ebay and have to say they feel a bit too big for my rods (even the greys prodigy!).

I have been considering getting instead some old 4000's or even 5000's - I have been put off the 3500's due to reports of shabby line lay.

The double handle is no problem, in fact I prefer them to the singles - mainly as if the rods are in the rest and you are tightening up they are balanced and dont move on their own.

I think if I were going for new - i'd probably go for these

shimano baitrunner 4000 FA DL

I bought a pair of the DL 4000 FA reels last season. They're perfect in size and weight, great line lay, very smooth clutch and the balance of the double handle on the retrieve is much better than my 'old' reels which only had the one handle. Great all round reels at a very reseasonable price too.
Good luck with your choice!

Steve,
Do you know for fact that an OC spool will fit a D reel.Felindre were unable to verify this as although they had both spools they didn't have a reel to try them on.None of the tackle shops I use carry the same sized OC and D reels to prove this for definite.
Stephen,
Felindre seem to be the only suppliers of spare spools.From memory the 6000 OC spool was around £18/19 whereas the D was around £36.Shimano told me the spools are not interchangeable,but no doubt they want to sell the more expensive spool.I just want to know for sure before I swag out the money on a spool that doesn't fit.:D

Pete

Screaming reels

Peter

I took the spools off both my 4000d and 4000oc and swapped them over, all my reels are attached to rods and set up, so I didn't do much more. The spools did fit and on the outer look exactly the same apart from the colour.

Last edited:
I have a 4000D reel, but have not seen the 'OC' 'in the flesh, so can't comment either way with any authority. What I will say is, there have been several comments from those that own (or have tried) both reels that would worry me about the spools on the 'OC'. The first comment was Peters assertion that "The 'D' feels and looks a much better reel than the 'OC'". The second was where Stephen said "Clutch is different on the 'D' and the spools have a different part numbers".

This suggests to me that the 'OC' reel is indeed what it seems, a cheaper version of the 'D'. The problem with that for me would be that if the clutch IS different, as Stephen suggests (which would make sense as it is cheaper), then to buy an 'OC' spool to go with a 'D' reel would seem false economy. One of the beauties of the 'D' is the lovely smooth clutch....and that clutch is built into the spool. Therefore, even if the spool DOES fit....chances are you will lose one of the major benefit of the dearer reel...the lovely clutch.

All speculation on my part of course, but there is an old saying 'You get what you pay for' :D.....worth a thought....or further comment from those whom have both reels?

Cheers, Dave.

Back