• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

With a few months left to go.....how has your season been so far ?

Fishing this year has taken a major back seat due to work and my 7 year old girls brain operations and can count on both hands the amount of times I have been.

However, have been pretty damn lucky (or is that stupendously good angling) when I have had a chance :rolleyes:

One carp trip this year for 24 hours saw a brace of 33lb Commons.

Fishing off my boat in the marina I'm at saw 12 nice tench in one sunday evening trip to 8.10 and a few dabbles now and again have resulted in a shed load of perch above 3 with the biggest going 4.1 ... the daughter had a 4.2 weekend before last on her first trip since her last operation...

Pike fishing... one trip a 22lb high doubles and more good perch

Barbel ... not one this year .... the Otters eaten them all :rolleyes:

Have I enjoyed it still ... every time ... just being there is good..

Seasons greetings to one and all :)

Hi men ,

Kids put things into perspective mate . Hope things are going well , and nice to see she is catching , you must have been chuffed at seeing that .

Hatter

Hi All,
Funny old season for me so far ! Well down on numbers of fish so far, but more than made up for by breaking my PB with a fish of 12lbs exactly from the same river as Clives 14, equalling it within an hour and then catching a big 11 and big 9 a week later. Followed that up with another fish of 12lbs exactly from the Bristol Avon.
On the downside, only had the one Avon fish so far ! I have banged my head on and off on a difficult stretch and to his credit Clive has banged his head even harder than I on said stretch !
On the upside, have enjoyed some great days out with Clive, Rich, Huw And Malc (to name a few). I have taken a much more relaxed approach this season, which has made me enjoy things a lot more !
Also seeing a LOT of Barbel under the 2lbs mark on my local Marden has cheered me up no end ! (Caught a 'minter' of about 12ozs back in June !).
I can understand what you lads are saying about time and families ! I have been on reduced hrs most of the year at work, but have probably got out less than previous seasons !
Hoping to fit in a few Grayling sessions soon and with a bit of luck and good fate, catch a one of the big Roach I know of on a few venues......
Regards Paul M.

On the upside i have had some big fish this year, new wye barbel best of 11lb 13oz, a thumping 21lb 3oz common off the wye, and a best from a club lake, a mirror of 29lb 1oz.
on the downside i've fished the Bristol Avon once this season and i probably wont fish it again till next season due to the decline, my wife has lost her job and then been taken ill and any spare time i have from work has to be devoted to her at the moment, don't really know when i'm going to get out again...

Last edited:
Evening All,

So far this season has been very good to me, both on the bank and away from it. While I havent caught anywhere near the number of fish of previous seasons due to also targeting other species I have managed 3 different 12's off the Warks Avon and a 12.12 river PB for the Severn, also taking a PB 6lb chub of the Warks Avon. Had a fantastic week away predator fishing in Holland back in October, catching plenty of pike on lures and upping my PB to 22.10:)
Away from the bank I have just had my 1st article published by the Angling Times and also been offered a sponsorship/consultancy with a tackle company.
For the remainder of the season I will be barbel fishing only if conditions are good, I have a week in Dorset/Hampshire in January so will spend some time targeting the chub and closer to home will be going after the Zander and Perch.

Cheers Lewis:)

Hi All

Like you Andy, I am now a long way from the nearest barbel and am trying to get to griops with a whole new world of angling.

It is mostly Sea and estuarey fishing round here although there are several reservoirs stocked with Australian Bass, Saratoga, Golden perch and, not so far away, Barramundi:)

It is mostly Lure and soft plastic fishing and using a 6 or 7 foot rod does not really feel right.:eek:

The Brisbane river is huge and has massive runs of Threadfin salmon and Bullsharks plus many other species but access is very limited due to mangroves and private property in the city.

I have recently bought a boat but it can do well over 50 Kph and terrifies me at times....being a confirmed landlubber:eek:

Still.....it is good fun trying to work out a river 5 times the size of the Trent with fish I had hardly even heard about before.....I will let you all know when I have cracked it:cool:

To make matters worse.....although I moved to Australia to retire, I now find myself working full time as a senior manager in a private hospital and am working harder than I have in the past 20 years....still it pays for all the toys.....and new tackle (and lures at £15 a pop:eek:).

Cahal

this season

:eek: jesus is it december already, i aint been out yet! so much for delegating me workload, have i learned something?
Yes, to make sure the fishing gear is used in 2010....john

Trout

I too have moved away from the UK this year so no Barbel fishing although still read the site three or four times a week???

I decided to try the trout streams here in Missouri with the fly rod a completely new experience for me. Took a while to get the hang of it but a day in August catching trout on a hopper I tied myself and last week catching trout after trout on fly's I had tied myself have been particularly memorable. Also if the fishing is slow this time of year I just watch the bald eagles circling over head....

Mark

I have a pair of Bald Eagles nesting within sight of my house.

Wonder if there is a link between barbel fishing and moving lol

There seem's to be more and more of us.

Hi All

Like you Andy, I am now a long way from the nearest barbel and am trying to get to griops with a whole new world of angling.

It is mostly Sea and estuarey fishing round here although there are several reservoirs stocked with Australian Bass, Saratoga, Golden perch and, not so far away, Barramundi:)

It is mostly Lure and soft plastic fishing and using a 6 or 7 foot rod does not really feel right.:eek:

The Brisbane river is huge and has massive runs of Threadfin salmon and Bullsharks plus many other species but access is very limited due to mangroves and private property in the city.

I have recently bought a boat but it can do well over 50 Kph and terrifies me at times....being a confirmed landlubber:eek:

Still.....it is good fun trying to work out a river 5 times the size of the Trent with fish I had hardly even heard about before.....I will let you all know when I have cracked it:cool:

To make matters worse.....although I moved to Australia to retire, I now find myself working full time as a senior manager in a private hospital and am working harder than I have in the past 20 years....still it pays for all the toys.....and new tackle (and lures at £15 a pop:eek:).

Cahal

You lucky man, a whole new world of fishing experiences to go at. I envy you that!

Never going to repeat last season when on the middle severn where i took he place apart. This season been mixed with just the one double from there but nice to see a friend of mine have a pb off the middle after his run of bad luck.Season not over like to do a big pike off the middle severn

I've had a wonderful season so far.

Most of my fishing has been with me mate Geoff aka Spamalot, with odd forays to far flung places such as the Wye and the Bristol Avon, with good friends Dan, Kev and John. A big thank you to Windsor Boy aka Alan, for the trip to the Loddon which resulted in a then PB of 13lb 1oz .

The company has been really great. Fishing with your mates is always very rewarding, even if they do catch more fish than you!

The barbel fishing has been excellent. To be honest better than expected. I've caught in the region of 75-80 barbel mainly from the Kennet which is such a stunning river, but a few from the Medway, Wye and Loddon and has included 14 doubles. I have topped my PB on several occassions culminating in a fish of 13lb 4oz.

The venues have been just wonderful and my only regret is not getting to the Teme or Severn.

If I can bank a few more barbel this season I will be over the moon but I'm not expecting any. It's time for a few roach/dace/grayling trips.

Had a great season so far...

Started the season really well with a Teme double of 10.4 in June which set things going nicely!

Fishing the Bristol Avon for the first season - really love it! Have had a few 7s and 8s and one double.

Lower Severn fished so badly last year for me that any fish this year would be a bonus - have caught on nearly every trip, topped by a new PB of 11.1.

Finally, been bashing away at the Warks Avon and nearly got my first double last week - tipped the scales at 9.11 - the hardest fighting barbel I've ever hooked.

Bit of a break over Christmas and then out for chub and pike in the New Year.

Last edited:
Been a steep learning curve, but learnt something new on each visit.
Quite a few blanks, but had some good results from the WA and a couple of really enjoyable visits to the Wye.

A couple of the better fish below.

12lb5oz.jpg

11lb7oz.jpg

Last edited:
Been too busy this year, so only been out once a week at most except whilst on holiday in august; have had some nice fish but nothing groundbreaking and no new river bests so far apart from my first wye barbel. Motivation has been a bit of a problem and it feels like its been a bit tougher this season. Would seriously like to catch a big river perch before the season is out, but when the weather warms up a bit i know what rods will end up in my quiver. :eek:

Paul

My season got off to a good start but then as the river levels dropped i moved away from the Barbel fishing and concentrated on getting my 30lb+ carp which i managed in mid September:) Since then iv probally had 6 trips to the Wye. I'l be doing some Chub fishing over Xmas and also seeing what Perch are in the Wye.

Great to read of people's seasons on here. Very inspiring and so impressive to hear of some of the numbers of fish being caught. I've learnt a lot from reading BFW so thanks to all who contribute and run the show too.

I'm in that bit of my fishing life where I wanted to catch a few bigger barbel this season and so tried to really get to know a stretch of river. I usually do a bit of tiddler snatching, chub, carp and barbel fishing but solely focussed on my barbel mission this time. It really paid off and I was very fortunate to break my pb twice, now at 16lb 4oz, so it's been a massively rewarding season for me. Hard work and not really many fish but if it was easy it wouldn't be any fun would it?

I also got to spend a week on the warwickshire avon which was the first time I'd ever seen the river and it was very kind to me - first chuck was a double so my luck continued. Great river and had fun wading around.

A combination of knackering myself out by spending all my weekends by a river, car issues and poor conditions have meant I have not been out fishing for about 2 months now so looking forward to getting out again soon.

Christmas tradition is that I pop down to the river eden with my dad and get totally outfished for chub on boxing day morning so we'll see if I can beat him this year.

Happy christmas to all on here and look forward meeting up with some of you in 2010.

cheers, simon (Bump in old currency)

Last edited:
Back