• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

With a few months left to go.....how has your season been so far ?

For me my fishing really has taken a back seat this season after losing my job and starting my own business I have managed only three trips on my beloved Bristol Avon catching 2 Barbel 1 chub and a perch hope to get in some trips between now and the end of the season and am looking forword to the BFW fish in. :)

Alan

I decided to target barbel again midway through last season, after spending the last 10 years flyfishing for trout on the big reservoirs. The reason being was that I needed to cut the cost of my fishing, but I wanted to fish more regularly, closer to home and into the night (to get away from the missus and kids ;) ). I've always loved to fish for barbel in my youth, though not very successfully.
I soon discovered that limiting myself to one stretch of the Pats was a mistake last season. For an inexperienced barbel angler I inevitably caught no barbel, though the chub were a welcome distraction.
This season I joined a couple of clubs with access to the Loddon and Kennet.
I decided to stick to one stretch on each river in order to learn as much as I could about that particular stretch and hope for the best.
The first three months of the season I spend on the Loddon. This resulted in 1 double and 30 odd blanks (I’d lost count after about 20 blanks on the trot). I've since had two more doubles in November last year (best 13lb). I think these last two fish can be attributed to the advice from fellow regulars on the stretch.
However the Kennet has been much kinder to me whilst I was going through my barren spell on the Loddon. So far in about 15 visits I’ve caught 12 barbel, which include three doubles.
So for my first proper season I'm very pleased that I’ve caught a few, but blimey I’ve had to work for them.

i have had a tough season i decided to concentrate on the warks avon. after fishing the severn and teme for the last few years and doing pretty good. it has been a real challenge i have struggled to bne honest. it has been hard trying to learn the new stretches and trying to find some good pegs. i have had a fair few blanks but it has made me want to fish the river more and really get to grips with it.
i managed a 9lbr from barton a few months back and i am hoping i can finish the season off well and get amongs a few fish over the coming weeks

Had a really good season up to now, 146 barbel to date, including the elusive January fish. Fingers crossed the weather will allow me to achieve my aim of catching barbel through every month of the season for once, caught in every month in the past but never strung a whole season together yet! :(

The double has not happened yet, had 9's from both the Severn and the Wye but probably got too obessed with just catching to really target the big one. Had some good chub as well, 5's from both rivers and a good proportion of 4+ fish from the Severn bodes well for the rest of the season. ;)

Regrets - didn't do much serious tenching, local waters were slow to get going in April/May, then went barbel mad once the rivers opened.

Fun interlude - 3 weeks in Florida September/October, roaming the beach with light tackle and catching my livebait with a cast net. Had a Redfish of about 12lbs that took 15 minutes to land, and a lot of Snook and Spanish Mackerel.

I have to say , pretty mixed , but my season came alive during November when I started targeting the wye winter barbel and chub, I have fished amost every week and only two occasions have I failed to catch barbel , with four weeks left hopefully there will be more !

i,ve had a superb season lots of fish and from different rivers
with a good helping of doubles thrown in
then the cold came:( hope for one last go
before the sesons gone, want a big girl:p

It's been a bad season for me on local rivers...barbel, just not there anymore but I knew that was coming...chub still hanging around but the 5 and 6's that I thought were going to get bigger have shrunk to 3's and 4's.

However on my travels I still catch a few and nothing big but gives me hope.

I'm on the Severn for the last week of the season...and it will be hell for leather for a new PB...lets hope for a bit of mild, rainy end to the season!

I live in hope...and I wish the best to us all, after this winter we all deserve it.

Cheers
Jason

For me was Variety!

A few PB's and getting out most weekends no matter what the weather!

Oh nearly forgot a wonderul 36lb 10oz common carp of the river Saone, another PB!

Last edited:
Back