• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

With a few months left to go.....how has your season been so far ?

First full season after Barbel,set my sights in June for a Teme double. Have not missed many Sundays away from the Teme since those warm June days. Not come along yet but will keep trying till 14 March.
graham

Well, I haven't barbel fished!
The summer tenching wasn't bad, had three very good sessions when I actually found them on the 'big pit'.
The Thames carping was tricky, I never got the monster I was after, (I won't bleat about the monster I did lose on the tidal river, gutted didn't come close... :( ) but managed three nice commons. I weighed a beast for a friend, a 38.6 mirror, a proper old river warrior with huge apple scales.
If I can find the big perch again over the next three months and bag a few mid double pike, (a Thames 20 would be a bonus), I will be happy :)

Ian

Done really well this year on the kennet,managed to bag a double six trips on the trot and during that run had three doubles in one session.managed to up my grayling pb to 2.12 which was great,but I'm getting touchy now because I haven't been out for six weeks now,for one reason or another.but going after some of the big kennet chub tomorow and may drop in on the Thames on the way home....
Luke

Like Ian - no barbel. One purposely tooled-up trip only got me a biggie...; another, with toy-town feeder tackle on a pre-BBQ morning, a fluked Thames 6-pounder.

Other stuff: a 27-14 small-river common (after which I considered permanently retiring from Angling and finding a south-facing bungalow somewhere in Heaven); some chub (not many, but they included a best-ever whacker of 6-13 - after which retirement beckoned once again); a few very good grayling on fly; a 16-pound pike not many days ago, on fly, after it had swirled menacingly at a fly-hooked diddy grayling, then had half a home-tied budgie chucked at it and promptly got the bird; some nice dace (not big, just pretty) on the trot, ditto some lovely little scale-perfect, "Hey, who re-touched the fins?", roach. All in all a tenth of the fishing days that I have had in other years, but enough to keep me carrying on.

My Chub season was scuppered ( :cool: ) in late October onwards when in the space of three weeks I upped my PB twice to 6lb 12, and then to something which will sit in the top 50 UK list (it was BIG) followed a week later by a somewhat smaller 7lb 8oz!! ( The scales have been checked!)
So until it warms abit I am considering Pike, Zander and anything that likes the humble maggot (or maybe those stripey Perch which I have neglected since the 1980s).

Sadly less fishing than I would have liked in 2009 and I hope to put this right in 2010.

My best day of the season so far was not Barbel related, nor PB related, however after a short 2-3hr roving stint on the Worcs Arrow I managed 8 fish and every one of a different species.

My season has been a little hit and miss to be fair.

I had a couple of nice barbel from one river and then returned to my favourite river after a seasons long exile to take a PB on my second ( i think it was my second visit) visit and then have suffered nearly twenty five blanks on the trot.

I have had a dabble at trotting for roach and apart from one session where i did really well i have struggled for bites at that as well:(

Still, there is plenty of time left yet :)

This has been my first real season and to be honest I dont think I have done too bad for a novice. Fished mainly the Yorkshire Ouse which is where I got my pb to date 6lb12oz. Caught a fantastic Chub on the Swale which I guessed was well over 5lb looking at the length and girth and by comparing it against other chub that I have caught (shame the guy taking the photo wasn't Dave). The best has to have been the lazy Barbel who registered as a pluck on the line then just sat there for about 10 mins thought I had snagged until it started moving, strange thing is the same thing happend to Dave the same day! We know that the Yorkshire Ouse isn't the most prolific Barbel river but the scenery wildlife and tranquility more than make up for it. I just cant wait to get out again and try out my own homemade smelly baits!

Been a bit of a curates egg so far . In Barbel terms fished mostly the Yorkshire Ouse with a few forays to the beautiful Nidd , a few good 9lbers rolled in and a clonking 11LB 1oz Ouse fish , interspersed with many [18 and counting ] blanks ... My tench campaign was dismal , 1 baby tinca but lots of Bream , they are a pain . Just getting wound up on the Grayling front , plenty of small stream chub on the float . My highlight so far though ,an 11oz December dace caught in sub zero temperatures from a river which you could leap across with a good run up , magic!:)

Started really well on the opening day with a mixed 20lb plus bag on stick and Caster with a 40 year old center pin 20 year old rod and a lost Barbel.
Going well in July two Barbel in two chucks from the river Derwent:),later that month a 9lb 14oz beauty(tempted to fiddle the weight but I would only be cheating myself) which is as close to a Derwent double I have got since my last one some 18 years ago!!:)
Slowed down in the Autumn managed a Barbel in the Ousemeister fish in only to be beaten by a fluker from Sheffield:rolleyes: and since the its been downhill...desperate..tragic...and recently very very cold.
Looking forward to warmer weather as it has got to get better.
Ken

Great season for me in that after many years of wishing I managed to move down to Dorset at the end of October. Signed off on the Ouse with a 14-7 three days before I moved, since moving have only had 1 barbel a 13-11 from the Avon.
Looking forward to the rest of the season and to the new one in fishing paradise.

Regards Phil

Weird season for me as i've hardly fished for anything at all! Not landed one Barbel (had a few drop off!!!) but there again only had a few sessions early in the season.

Been spinning a fair few times (short on time) but mainly been training for a half marathon last year and made the decision to train for a full marathon this year but not yet sure if my knees are up to it so taking it easy for 20 weeks to build up the miles before doing any serious miles.

Will hopefully get out again before the end of the season and catch a Barbel or 3.

Trevor

Been a bit of a weird season for me to be honest.
The Spring/ river closed season 2009 saw me back on the lake that i bailiff and resulted in me catching a target fish that i'd chased for the past 3 years, had a few fish inc some cats while taking me son for a few nights out.
Back on the Ouse come June and to be fair had a couple but struggled. Had a week trip to the severn which is different and a total joy with the surroundings, followed that up with a trip on the Teme for 2 days with Trefor West, and what a superb couple of days that was and the man is totally amusing in many ways.
Back to the Ouse and with very low conditions decided on a few perch trips, bagging a few inc a new pb 3lb 4oz. And since the snow has hit just before the xmas period, i've had a few trips back up the lake armed with the maggot feeder rod chasing un fished for perch and roach and bagged a few nice roach inc 1lb 8oz and a new pb @ 3lb 8oz.
And that as they say....... is me up to date!!
Would like another Ouse barbel if poss and the weather and conditions let me, otherwise i'll be chasing down some chub,perch and roach between now and march.

Another Burr on the site, who'd have thunk it.

Idea! Can we both post as D Burr then we can shift the blame for any lapses of political correctness :)

Sounds like a plan D burr :D
Pleased to meet you sir D burr;)

Blanked on the 16th (no change there) But kicked of my barbel season the following week on the swale with 2 barbel. So far this season i have had total of 28 barbel from 30 sessions. 18 sessions on the Yorkshire ouse and 21 fish to 10lb 5oz (new pb). ( It was on the most prolific stretch though :p ) The rest were from the nidd, swale and wharfe. This season my wife has accompanied me on sevaral sessions, and although i did throw my teddy out on 1 occasion when i had cast spot on after several attempts, only for Jules to tell me she had a big fish on and needed assistance. The thing is the fish in question was a big chub, possibly 6lb+, and i would have been there in a shot had i realised how big it was! :rolleyes: By the time i had brought my rod in(cursing to myself) the chub had flipped out of the net and back into the river :(
Since then we have got along just fine, and really enjoyed the time we have spent on the banks, even when we blank. Jules has really progressed with her barbel fishing and next season i am confident she can manage on her own while i go roving (not too far though incase she hooks a big one again) :p

Dave (Maddo 1)

This has been my first full year's fishing after a self imposed exile of 15 years, so it was always going to be a good year.

I've by far exceeded my expectations however in terms of sheer enjoyment as well as quality of fish caught.

Many PBs have gone, highlights have been upping my barbel pb twice to 11lb 7oz; my first common, mirror and grass carp over 20lb, bream to 12lb 13oz, tench to 8lb 15oz, catfish to 31lb 9oz, pike to 18lb 14oz; and golden and blue orfe over 5lb.

I'm looking forward to targetting everything from roach to eels in 2010, and maybe catching a few unforgettable fish along the way.

Tight lines to all for the New Year.

Graham,
That's a good year fella, well done :)

Ian

PS Was listening to Martin Hannett's finest moments today, spine tingling ;)

Back