• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

With a few months left to go.....how has your season been so far ?

Andy Thatcher

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I know I am sitting in my garden in Florida in shorts and t-shirt but every now again, more to be honest, I wonder how things are going over there.

So just to make me jealous what have you learned this season ? Highlights ?

Cheers
Andy

Thatcher variety not to be confused with this admin person or dubious doctor :D

It's been fantastic for me, way beyond my expectations. I have caught over 200 barbel and I believe that I've had at least 12 doubles, I'll have to read through the blog to count them.

I've fished the W.Avon, Wye, Wharfe, Swale, Ouse, Calder, Dearne, Don, Idle and of course the mighty Trent.

Most importantly I have made some good friends and had some belting days with some good lads. If I don't catch another fish this season I'll be a very happy fellah.

Conrad

2009 for me was a year of little fishing, though I have enjoyed what I managed to do. Some really enjoyable sight-fishing on the teme is what made it, but some harsh lessons have been learned on my other river, the lower severn, too.

But this year has been more about life away from the river bank... and I dare say 2010 will be even more so!

Still hoping for a traditional grayling session over xmas period, as well as roach on the river and of course some barbel fishing before the season is up.

Laters

DG

My best day of the season was taking an ol'boy of 68, a relative novice to barbel fishing out last month.
He was a raffle winner and got me!!!

Seeing his reaction, and he is still talking about it, at catching a very good fish.

For me 12 barbel trips only so far, 6 blanks, 11 barbel including one double.

But, a brace of 1:8oz roach from the Lower Severn, has made me rethink my future fishing.

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life Fred.

While I had phases of being barbelcentric I never went a season without sessions after other species.

I just found that I learned more.

;)

Well lve joined up with my real name ...my season was a nohoper as my mate had a stroke in june and l havent been out since...
Hes got no motivation to go this season which is understandable...

Cheers all...< Mooks >....ooops sorry forgot

Last edited:
I've had a reasonable season so far.

I upped my middle Severn PB twice with an 11,10 fish, then a month or two later with a different fish of 12,3.

I've had some fantastic days out on my boat catching loads of Zander and Pike and helping a few lads catch their first Zander and PB Pike.

I've just caught my PB Roach @ 2lb 5oz.

Best thing is, I've still got the best few months ahead for my boat fishing, so hoping the weather gods are kind and I can get out over X-mass a fair bit.

Steve

Andy, it's been about 6years that everything, but the monthly pub club trip to a puddle, has been barbel fishing.

I've missed out on my tench and roach fishing, I need to put the barbel on hold,well at least not concentrate on them so much.
It got the stage that where I was only going to one stretch, and although there are others species there, I stuck to it and sat behind my rods, waiting for the big tug!!

So, I've given my ticket up to force myself.

Robin, that's right,but it kept going back for a re-draw, so we are saving it for the next one, and some unsuspecting "winner" ;):D

For me this season has been a none event. I committed myself to taking a year out of fishing to concentrate on my work. Apart from a futile week after tench in May and a few bass fishing sessions in the summer I've not fished all year. I'm hoping to make amends for that and see if I can catch myself a 3 lb grayling over Christmas and the New Year. After that I think another year working rather than playing will be called for.

Made a big decision to book a cottage on the Wye for 4 months to do my guiding and was the right one.

Fantastic scenery and over 570 barbel in the period for guests and me. Got major enjoyment from seeing and helping 22 "Barbel Virgins" catch their first barbel. May well be the place I go out to grass.

The Kennet and Loddon fished fairly poorly since my return although have had a few doubles topped by a 12.2 which is a few lbs down on usual at this time of the season. Mind you doubles from the Loddon, Kennet, Wye, Severn, Thames and Trent so far

Mind you, my Barbel season generally starts from now on with season after season my best fish coming in the last month or so.

Looking forward to doing some perching and maybe zander fishing with 3 invites to make time for.

Managed a few other species sessions late last year with a cracking 2.10 grayling, a 34.12 Leney carp and tench to 9.12 on the float.

Highlight was a 13lb salmon on a size 18 to 2.5lb line.

Graham, the angler formerly known as silverfox.

The last 18 months or so has been a complete disaster really,a succsession of family health issues that i won't dwell on ensured that i have done very little fishing at all,bit of light at the end of the tunnel now, i shall dedicate whats left of this season to catching myself some big Cherwell Chub,and maybe (if conditions allow) make use of my Lodden syndicate ticket, un-finished business those Barbel !

This season has probably been my most productive despite fishing less than I maybe normally would due to a whole bunch of things. Tended to pick my days for barbel fishing rather than going when I could, resulted in equalling my Bristol Avon PB of 11lb1oz as well as other doubles, most notibly my first from the Wye at 10lb15oz. Also the Wye has thrown up a new PB chub of 6lb as well as countless Pike that seem to love meat on the retrieve :)

As mentioned, I fished the Wye for the first time this year and its an incredible place, cant wait to get there again earlier in the season maybe next year.

As for other fishing, I've done A LOT of fly fishing on my local syndicate and had hundreds of trout + grayling including some nice fish for the river. Located a tiny stream and had plenty of wild brownies from it on the fly too, tremendous fight for fish that arn't massive. Also enjoyed a fair bit of pike and perch fly fishing on the BA, great sport.

Theres still hope for that 2lb Roach from the BA in the remaining months - if it ever stops raining and I get a chance to go!

So all in all, a good season for me, maybe visting Isaac's grave in the close season really did work!

Cheers
Adam

The main highlight of my season was two weeks camping & fishing on the Teme/Severn/Wye.

Beautiful part of the country, thoroughly relaxing and actually caught quite a few barbel - nothing huge though.

Mainly pin/trotting time for me now - hoping to have a day or two grayling fishing over Christmas.

Also looking forward to a new rod !

Been OK for me, not been out as often as in previous years, but managed to sneak out 8 doubles from the B Avon, including 2 double-doubles. Just the one recapture in there. A worrying statistic if in a pessimistic mood (not often!) is the fact that I have only caught 2 single figure fish from the Avon.

A low point was a hookpull to a large teme fish (I didnt see it but have enough experience of 12 plus fish to think it was one!) I got over that within a day though!

To be fair, I only see Christmas as the halfway point. Top level targets from now to March are to get a 28lb brace from the Avon, beat the river record, and put in a couple of Ouse Visits.

Ambitous, moi? :)

Andy

Been quite a hard season for me with the Severn being so low all summer. Have managed 6 doubles and a few 9s off the Severn and a few fish including three 9's off the Teme inbetween quite a few blanks. Perhaps i should start to fish the pellet to catch a few more lol.
Looking to do a bit on the Trent and Wye next year as variety is the spice of life.

Jez

Hi men ,

Good season for me and Sue so far , prob our best . Doubles from the Teme, and Kennet , with nearly 80 fish . The Kennet giving us the most with 70 , but conditions suited our style of fishing , low and clear . We were on our toes trying to learn the stretch , catching from 21 diffrent swims . The people we met on there have been really nice , chatty , and made some new mates .

We had less visits to the Teme , only fishing it when we had to take the dog with us , but loved every min of it , wild , mad at times , the Teme in flood is something to see .

Hatter

Had a reasonably good year highlights include a new pb of 14lb 3oz and a 13lb 4oz plus had a couple of cracking days on the Wye where I had 25 in one day awsome.
Heres the pb. Shippo
P1010113.jpg

My season so far has been resonable considering the amount of time spent on the bank. I have had a few highlights in the form of a 12lb 12oz Wye PB and also chub close to the 7lb mark. I have only managed about 147 Barbel this year but like I said I have not had that much time out on the bank. Also doing a feature for the Angling Times was a cracking experiance given the fact I managed seventeen Barbel to 10lb 2oz in front of the cameras and also a brace of 5 lb+ Chub. I have spent two four hour sessions Carping managing a twenty on each visit and(Cant sit still for more than ten minutes) also Gaining some good friends while fishing. And a few enemies I might add lol. Next year Is the year im planning on doing some serious angling and visiting places I have only dreamed about fishing. Fingers crossed my optimisum will be turned in to success. Roll on next year.:)

IMG_1188.jpg

monsterchub.jpg

would not normaly see this from me (a brace shot) but thats the result of fishing two rods.
IMG_1176.jpg

My personal favourite
017.jpg

short session twenty
22lbcommon002.jpg

Hi Andy,

Long time no speak. Hope the US is being kind to you?

This year has been almost as bad as last year, what with going back to college, but full time now, leaves me with very little time what with the family and trying to fit some work in too.

My new years resolution is to get out more often, simple!

Tommo

Back