• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter Suits

Thinking of getting one of these for the winter: Super Crossflow Carp || Sundridge

Combines the Crossflow floatation suit with the igloo warmth, looks good and I like the idea of floatation fishing by rivers in the winter, will make it easier for them to find me if nothing else :)

I have more cold weather gear than anybody could possibly need, 2 x floatation suits, one Fladen and one Mainstream, both really warm and waterproof, if a bit colourful, a full set of drab snowboarding gear, about 4 sets of gortex waterproof windproof tops and salopettes, ex army ( Dutch, German and UK )
Then I have several sets of layered thermals, to wear under the Gortex, plus some warm and waterproof Motorcycle foul weather gear that really is the biz,but with all this stuff, I am turning more and more to my Titanex Retro breathable smock , coupled with the snowboarding Salopettes...and gortex overtrousers, thermal boots, and wooly hat..I have sat in some really cold and windswept North East beaches in the last few years wearing
this outfit, and never ever been cold.... the Titanex has had a few bad reviews in the sea angling press, but I have never had a problem with it, it just lacks zips on the pockets, which is a bit of a bind, but not so bad.

Dave

I just packaged up my Pro Logic Survivor jacket and salopettes to return to the vendor for a refund. I bought them a few months ago and didn't use them in earnest until last Tuesday when there was a downpour. As I sat there, first I felt dampness at the knees. I tried not to stretch the seam to alleviate the issue. Next, I felt considerable dampness running down the right sleeve. Lastly, I found myself sat in a considerable wet patch and decided to abandon ship.

The kit has the following specifications:
6-in-1 Jacket.
100% Breathable.
100% Waterproof.
PU Laminated membrane of 8000mm & 8000g/m2/24hrs.
2 Layer 100% polyester micro 320d.
Comfortable inner mesh lining.
Reversible zip out fleece- one side fleece and other side micro fleece.
Detachable sleeves on fleece jacket for reversible body warner.
YKK zippers.
2 Zippered hand pockets.
Detachable hood.
Adjustable at hood, waist and hem.
Inner neoprene cuff.
Adjustable velcro strap at cuff.
Elastic rim at cuff.
Non-sticking Velcro.

After looking on the net it seems I am not alone.

prologic jackets - Prebait Forums

I was obviously disappointed so I wrote to Pro Logic. I received the following reply today.

"Hi Stephen

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a problem, although it is quite common that leakage will occur on knees, elbows etc. as the fabric relies on surface tension to prevent this and obviously on these areas the surface tension is broken, this will occur on any waterproof/breathable fabric.

The only truly waterproof materials are PVC type products, but clearly these are uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

However, you are fully entitled to a replacement or refund under the guarantee.

Please return the garments to the shop you purchased them from, you will need to produce your receipt or proof of purchase under the terms of the warranty.

Kind regards

steve"

So I have decided to return the suit for a refund.

So, what to go for next? More fishing brands? Other outdoor clothing?

Thanks in advance :)

Regards,
Stephen

It's been said many times on here , don't buy fishing manufacturers clothing. Go for Goretex or Ecws for water resistant stuff over buffalo or montane mid layers on top of decent base layers. Ok , it's not cheap but it works. Best of all you can walk in it , sit down and get up in it which can't be said for one pieces and as it is a layering principle you don't need to wear all of it all the time.
This is a good starting point Combat Clothing & Uniforms: Camouflage Clothes, MOLLE & Airsoft Gear UK

Thinking of getting one of these for the winter: Super Crossflow Carp || Sundridge

Combines the Crossflow floatation suit with the igloo warmth, looks good and I like the idea of floatation fishing by rivers in the winter, will make it easier for them to find me if nothing else :)

Hi Crooky, I don't know if you have researched fabrics or not....but....a 5000 rated suit is only guaranteed to keep you dry in light rain. See here for explanation of ratings.

Waterproof Ratings: What do the Numbers Really Mean\? - Spadout.com

Cheers mate,

Dave.

Hi Crooky, I don't know if you have researched fabrics or not....but....a 5000 rated suit is only guaranteed to keep you dry in light rain. See here for explanation of ratings.

Waterproof Ratings: What do the Numbers Really Mean\? - Spadout.com

Cheers mate,

Dave.

I know Dave, I never go sitting in the rain, always have a brolly or a bivvy if it rains, have good waterproofs too, this is more for the really cold piking days, when it's too cold to rain :) I just like the floatation suit idea too

I have Greys waterproofs which are very good and also an ESP jacket rated 25000mm waterproof.

I know Dave, I never go sitting in the rain, always have a brolly or a bivvy if it rains, have good waterproofs too, this is more for the really cold piking days, when it's too cold to rain :) I just like the floatation suit idea too

I have Greys waterproofs which are very good and also an ESP jacket rated 25000mm waterproof.

I had a strong feeling you wouldn't go buying something without thoroughly researching it first....just worried you might be having an off day :D

Like the sound of that ESP jacket, wasn't aware they did anything with that sort of rating.

Cheers, Dave.

I went for the ESP digital jacket and bib'n'brace.The appeal being the 25,000 hydrostatic head and a breathability factor of 10,000.Spent 5 days on the Wye a few weeks ago with copious amounts of rain for 4 days.Stayed perfectly dry throughout,but only caught 1 chub,proving that the suit keeps you dry,but is absolutely useless at catching fish in:D

I went for the ESP digital jacket and bib'n'brace.The appeal being the 25,000 hydrostatic head and a breathability factor of 10,000.Spent 5 days on the Wye a few weeks ago with copious amounts of rain for 4 days.Stayed perfectly dry throughout,but only caught 1 chub,proving that the suit keeps you dry,but is absolutely useless at catching fish in:D

I suppose you could say 'ooooh, suits you sir.....but not the fish :D

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, mine is digital camo: ESP Digital Camo Waterproof Jacket

They also do it in plain old green too though for the purist :) ESP Super Grade Waterproof Jacket | HarrisSportsmail.com

Hmmm...interesting Ian, I am rather fond of ESP/Drennan as a company. Unfortunately, I can't find any mention in the specs on their site about the seams. Are they 'fully taped' i.e, taped on every seam...or 'critically taped' i.e, taped only on the seams they see as critical? (not good)

Also, does the water nicely 'bead off' of the outer fabric, and is that easily reproofed? (washed and Nikwaxed, or similar, as you would Goretex)

Sorry to be a pain mate, but I don't want to be spending money like that at my time of life, only to find multi pain in the butt short-comings in a few months time :p

Cheers, Dave.

I've been using the Wychwood Solace Jacket,Bib'n'Brace & Fleece. Great for the winter warmth but I'm finding it a bit bulky now. Whats the ESP like Peter, for warmth and bulk? I move around a lot and a puffy suit is starting to get on my nerves.

David yes and yes

Bobby, no real warmth in the ESP stuff mentioned, they are waterproof but you will need a layered system underneath for warmth

There's an awful lot of "Emperor's Clothes" connected with this fishing tat. There will be no objective answer as everyone tends to say how wonderful their purchase was for obvious reasons. The only solution would be an independent test carried out by an organisation such as "Which". Maybe a "Which" subscriber could suggest it.

Just to reiterate one of my earlier posts, People who brave Arctic conditions don't wear fishing suits. I appreciate that anglers probably don't hang around too long in foul weather, but surely better to be better over- protected rather than the other way round. Additionally, the more robust kit will probably be more cost effective in the long-term as it won't be necessary to replace it so often.

I've been using the Wychwood Solace Jacket,Bib'n'Brace & Fleece. Great for the winter warmth but I'm finding it a bit bulky now. Whats the ESP like Peter, for warmth and bulk? I move around a lot and a puffy suit is starting to get on my nerves.

Got same and bulk not a problem as only usually have thermal undersuit , pair of jogging bottoms and long sleeve t-shirt on my main gripe is jacket dont have a 2 way zip , which is a pain when your sat down

Back