• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whats best recent bit of tackle you have bought ?

Certainly a funny old world Gerry. As a teen I thought hemp drugged fish, as all the older anglers said. It was banned on my local res, as it sent the roach into a frenzy. As a 14 year old myself a
Just bought some line I had never heard of before.
It was just for sea fishing so looked cheap.
200 yards Magnum Lazer. Made in Germany.
Bought by bs. 23lb line. Arrived and thought a mistake as at 0.30 can't be that strong. That is normally a 12lbish level.

Well simply can't break it!
Just having a look at this Graham.. I'm going to take a punt on the floor I think, just for combi rigs etc.

Jon.
A lake I fish for tench has some mighty big carp.
The 10lb main can cope. But if using heli rigs the lighter shorter hooklink generally cant. And always found fluoro unreliable again in short links. ( don't anyone bother telling me I can get a good one)

This may be perfect as quite stiff and low strong diameter.

No amount of emoji's profanities and insults aimed at other anglers will convince most that it is not 'cheating', but will just harden their resolve that it is what it is ...in their view.
Cheating LMFAO

If anyone thinks it's cheating use my optional alternative.

A plummet.

Seriously is important to move with the times. That's why with all the knife crime around I am investing in an AK47.

Almost forgot this, perfect for carrying enough lures for a day on the bank. It's semi rigid so keeps the trebles nicely apart. Worth waiting a few weeks for the delivery from China. I got one of each colour.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153062908617
Also got a few of these lure storage boxes, also excellent and supplied from the UK.
One arrived damaged and a replacement was sent out immediately so a pukka firm.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/254038226722
Be aware there's various different sizes.

Hi men,

Just got back from France , and after using a pro+ fish finder I will deff be getting one . Contours and depths were shown , and can be attached to my baitboat .

Hatter

What's the range on them if you wanted to attach them to a boat?

be careful..........apparently some people have had a lot of problems with the boats radio jamming the signal it just depends on what boat you have if it will work or not

Cheers Gerry...just thought it would be ideal on the lower Severn stretch I fish for getting bait tight to the bottom of the far shelf.

Think you have to connect to the WiFi when it’s within a set range then it goes further. So if you towed it out then tried to connect it may not allow you to connect, even though it’s in operating range.

I just had to have a look at what these Deeper thingies are. Mmmmm, not for me I think. But I see there's a "new" Deeper Start model, maybe cheaper as it has less range and fine for river use? Also it has an orange body so easier to locate when it's snagged up :D

Just googled, Pro+ is around £200, Start model is around £100

But as I said, not for me.

Last edited:
For me, I enjoy the mystery of casting into a River without actually knowing what to expect. Of course I can employ instinct as to where I think my best chances might be, a crease, an inside bend, a snag or feature that might hold a fish, many things that have helped in the past to achieve success or failure, but with both we learn, as humans with a brain, ahh yes the brain the most advanced price of kit any angler could possess. Along with all the senses we have honed as the apex predator what on Earth can this piece of folly do other than dull your own self worth as an Angler?
Is it that we have to be one step ahead...of what? Other Anglers, other species...when does Angling cease to be, and becomes merely catching?

For me, I enjoy the mystery of casting into a River without actually knowing what to expect. Of course I can employ instinct as to where I think my best chances might be, a crease, an inside bend, a snag or feature that might hold a fish, many things that have helped in the past to achieve success or failure, but with both we learn, as humans with a brain, ahh yes the brain the most advanced price of kit any angler could possess. Along with all the senses we have honed as the apex predator what on Earth can this piece of folly do other than dull your own self worth as an Angler?
Is it that we have to be one step ahead...of what? Other Anglers, other species...when does Angling cease to be, and becomes merely catching?

The great thing about angling is that it is whatever you want it to be. Some enjoy a methodical approach to feature finding, baiting etc. Others are happy to 'chuck it and chance it'. Some like to obsess about rigs and fine tuning terninal tackle, others like to keep things as simple as possible. Each to their own I say, who's to judge? It's all about enjoying your own angling and doing the things you enjoy.

I haven't used a deeper pro, I can see the obvious advantages over a marker float, leading around. If I fished more gravel pits, rather than meres, which usually have 1 or 2 obvious shelves, I probably would buy one tomorrow - funds permitting.

No such thing in fishing as 'cheating' because guess what, it's not a competition! Now obviously in a match fishing scenario there needs to be a level playing field but in the specimen or pleasure fishing world who cares.

The deeper is not my thing but if you want to use one fine. It's only a depth or major snag finder anyway. It won't tell you finer details about the substrate,like silkweed or zebra mussels,which is very important in presentation,only a lead will tell you that. You've also got to be able to interpret the results and act accordingly,it won't catch fish for you.

Spot-on Mark.

In recent years when I've got access to a boat I've also found a prodding stick and a Aquascope (in gin clear conditions) very useful tools for tench / carp fishing. Something very relaxing about drifting around gazing through a scope - amazing what can be seen. Some might consider it cheating, I consider it watercraft.

https://www.nhbs.com/large-aquascop...MI5aqHns7t4QIVGYjVCh2rZQaNEAQYAiABEgLog_D_BwE

Back