• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whats best recent bit of tackle you have bought ?

I purchased two 1.25 Drennan Avon Quiver rods for tench and chub. But have been breaking them in on large crucians. Absolutely lovely action, soft in the tip but with lots of power in the middle. Easily coped with some big singles carp which took a fancy to my double maggots.

Second hand Delkim TXIs and Waverunner 3 with GPS & fishfinder. Both excellent for pike fishing large open waters.
Picked them up last year as a complete set-up from a Carp angler who was packing up. Got everything for a snip, and still finding stuff most weeks, as I go through stuff.
Discovered a load of PVA and a JAG sharpener this weekend.

My best recent bit of kit.
Screenshot_2019-04-15-15-24-30.jpg

For me, it was my Ultra Light Jig rod. I’ve had it since last year but the last six months I’ve really been enjoying it. Hunting the Jacks and Perch. Nothing to carry and an hours fishing can be seriously good fun. Last week I had 3 trips out after work, probably fished 4 hours in total and caught 9 jacks. I don’t even take scales with me because it’s purely fishing for fun! Love it.

Shimano XTB 10000 SPOD reel. Had one for Xmas. So impressed for £55 from angling direct I bought a second to go on a marker rod.

Got to be my deeper pro plus. I use it on lakes and rivers. I don't use it for fish finding as you just don't know imo, but for finding features, you won't find anything better. Just imagine turning up on a new stretch of the Trent, not knowing where to fish. 10 mins with this and you can make a good informed decision and not fishing 50 yds away from them. Do I need to get my hard hat on.......

A TFG Banshee float rod for silvers on the river , that good I bought another . Progressive through action allows you to feel the fish and helps with hooking them . One of the best , if not the best rod I've owned , cheap has chips as well .

Got to be my deeper pro plus. I use it on lakes and rivers. I don't use it for fish finding as you just don't know imo, but for finding features, you won't find anything better. Just imagine turning up on a new stretch of the Trent, not knowing where to fish. 10 mins with this and you can make a good informed decision and not fishing 50 yds away from them. Do I need to get my hard hat on.......
Tbh I think most peoples dislike for the product is they think it’s cheating etc. Having played with one and as you say the “fish finder” can be switched off, it’s an incredible bit of kit. As far as cheating goes, it’s no different to a marker float, plumbing or even wading to check for features, what it is, is faster. I do wonder quite how it would work in the current though.

Yep, people will say it's cheating ... and then go on to use bolt/semi-bolt rigs. You could say using Polaroids was 'unsporting' (casting a fly downstream obviously IS :eek:)

Tbh I think most peoples dislike for the product is they think it’s cheating etc. Having played with one and as you say the “fish finder” can be switched off, it’s an incredible bit of kit. As far as cheating goes, it’s no different to a marker float, plumbing or even wading to check for features, what it is, is faster. I do wonder quite how it would work in the current though.
Anyone who thinks using a deep pro is cheating is two steps below an idiot IMHO lol

around 57 years ago I bought a Heron bite alarm and was Fishing Cut Mill pond Farnham when an angler fishing opposite rode his bike round and started screaming at me thats not fishing !!! thats cheating your using an electric alarm there is no skill its cheating !!! he was two steps below an idiot too

then a couple of years later I started using hempseed and there was a terrible row people saying its cheating your drugging the fish your turning them into addicts !! they have no chance its cheating lots of clubs banned it !! same with anything new you will always get these people gobbing off its cheating
funny old world innit ! big smile !

Just bought some line I had never heard of before.
It was just for sea fishing so looked cheap.
200 yards Magnum Lazer. Made in Germany.
Bought by bs. 23lb line. Arrived and thought a mistake as at 0.30 can't be that strong. That is normally a 12lbish level.

Well simply can't break it!

Last edited:
Just bought some line I had never heard of before.
It was just for sea fishing so looked cheap.
200 yards Magnum Lazer. Made in Germany.
Bought by bs. 23lb line. Arrived and thought a mistake as at 0.30 can't be that strong. That is normally a 12lbish level.

Well simply can't break it!
I have been using a line from 'Take Akashi' which purports to have some very dubious breaking strains for the diameter but I use it and really like it but I use the diameter rather than the breaking strains;)

Anyone who thinks using a deep pro is cheating is two steps below an idiot IMHO lol

around 57 years ago I bought a Heron bite alarm and was Fishing Cut Mill pond Farnham when an angler fishing opposite rode his bike round and started screaming at me thats not fishing !!! thats cheating your using an electric alarm there is no skill its cheating !!! he was two steps below an idiot too

then a couple of years later I started using hempseed and there was a terrible row people saying its cheating your drugging the fish your turning them into addicts !! they have no chance its cheating lots of clubs banned it !! same with anything new you will always get these people gobbing off its cheating
funny old world innit ! big smile !
No amount of emoji's profanities and insults aimed at other anglers will convince most that it is not 'cheating', but will just harden their resolve that it is what it is ...in their view.
Cheating LMFAO

Back