• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whats best recent bit of tackle you have bought ?

this is the best thing since the spomb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190423-181359_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190423-181359_eBay.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 331
The great thing about angling is that it is whatever you want it to be. Some enjoy a methodical approach to feature finding, baiting etc. Others are happy to 'chuck it and chance it'. Some like to obsess about rigs and fine tuning terninal tackle, others like to keep things as simple as possible. Each to their own I say, who's to judge? It's all about enjoying your own angling and doing the things you enjoy.

I haven't used a deeper pro, I can see the obvious advantages over a marker float, leading around. If I fished more gravel pits, rather than meres, which usually have 1 or 2 obvious shelves, I probably would buy one tomorrow - funds permitting.

With the demise of Barbel in many of our Rivers, we have to resort to experience in many situations, and well you know a gut feeling about a certain bit of river that might just hold a Barbel or two. In that I love what we do, I reckon if the river bed was mapped out for me and even if possible fish were identified I wouldn't be at all enthused to cast a line. For me it's all about the not knowing the complete and utter 'bolt out of the blue' shock when your rod arches over...that's why I love Barbel fishing, and I suspect that's why many of us do it.

You say don't judge, fair enough but when the OP suggests that anyone who dismisses these gadgets have to be two levels below an idiot (or similar) yep I will have my say, the cat is well and truly out of the bag. ;)

The 'chuck it and chance it'' lot by and large are not Barbel anglers by to-days standards I believe, it may have been the case but not now, I think that title is best given to those that might not prefer the River.

Cheers Gerry...just thought it would be ideal on the lower Severn stretch I fish for getting bait tight to the bottom of the far shelf.

Jason
I'm gonna be having a play with a deeper pro on the Thames around Oxford between now and the start of the season. You're welcome to come along to see for yourself, I think you'll be impressed.
Mick

Sorry but for me the deeper pro goes in the same box as iPad holders for your Bivvy ...pop up larders for your bivvy and the latest one I had a chuckle about a ...light for your barrow!!!

Got to be my deeper pro plus. I use it on lakes and rivers. I don't use it for fish finding as you just don't know imo, but for finding features, you won't find anything better. Just imagine turning up on a new stretch of the Trent, not knowing where to fish. 10 mins with this and you can make a good informed decision and not fishing 50 yds away from them. Do I need to get my hard hat on.......
Alright Jon, how's it going, thinking about getting one of these for the trent but what's the advantages of the pro plus over the pro and the starter one they do? Also didn't you have a cheapo one off ebay at one bit? And what's the advantages over that?

With the demise of Barbel in many of our Rivers, we have to resort to experience in many situations, and well you know a gut feeling about a certain bit of river that might just hold a Barbel or two. In that I love what we do, I reckon if the river bed was mapped out for me and even if possible fish were identified I wouldn't be at all enthused to cast a line. For me it's all about the not knowing the complete and utter 'bolt out of the blue' shock when your rod arches over...that's why I love Barbel fishing, and I suspect that's why many of us do it.

You say don't judge, fair enough but when the OP suggests that anyone who dismisses these gadgets have to be two levels below an idiot (or similar) yep I will have my say, the cat is well and truly out of the bag. ;)

The 'chuck it and chance it'' lot by and large are not Barbel anglers by to-days standards I believe, it may have been the case but not now, I think that title is best given to those that might not prefer the River.

The chuck it and chance it reference was to make the point that angling is quite a broad church.

I understand where you are coming from regarding mystery - but for me that's to do with the fish rather than features etc. I like to get a picture in my head about the swim I'm fishing, and pretty much the first thing I ever do when fishing a (river) swim for the first time is to cast a lead about to get a feel for depth, potential snags etc. I guess all the deeper pro does is make the process a lot simpler and definitely more accurate. I think most anglers use the deeper as a feature finder rather than a fish finder - certainly the ones I've talked to anyway.

I use my deeper to find features. If I'm fishing a 90 acre water it would take ages to map it out if I didn't have a deeper. It is fantastic finding stuff.

Last edited:
closed season retail therapy !
I bought a cygnet Spod Bucket Adaptor Kit and I was a bit worried it may be a bit wobbly well it arrived today didnt take long to fit on my bucket and boy o boy its a quality bit of kit rock solid the storm poles supplied are bang on this is gonna really save my old back when filling my feeders and spopper

Attachments

• Spod-Bucket-adaptor-Kit-5-team-outdoors-600x600.jpg
    Spod-Bucket-adaptor-Kit-5-team-outdoors-600x600.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 252
Hi men ,

After many many years iv upgraded my kettle to the Fox heat transfer , and it does seem quicker . My lovely little ( sues ) aluminium one will stay with us , just in case i get sue back on a river one day .

Hatter

Hi men ,

After many many years iv upgraded my kettle to the Fox heat transfer , and it does seem quicker . My lovely little ( sues ) aluminium one will stay with us , just in case i get sue back on a river one day .

Hatter
I have one of those heat transfer kettles and did not notice it boiled any faster with a gas stove ?

but when I pack light and use a small slow spirit stove I REALLY noticed it boiled faster I use one like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainles...740654?hash=item3b0d73742e:g:vocAAOSwU91acvid

Hi men,

I know what you mean , but i noticed it because it heated more water as the kettle is bigger than my little one , looks carpy as well .

Hatter

May get it engraved Graham , but its the standard carpy orange handle matt grey , still carpy though.

Hatter
I burnt my hand a couple of times when I first got it from the steam coming out the holes in the lid until I realised they must be positioned at 90 deg to the spout ....................I have a m8 that got so fed up getting burnt from the steam he filled his holes in

Back