• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tri-Cast John Allerton Rod, anyone use it?

Yes they did. And they go back a good few years now. I forgot about those. Some say highly recommended for barbel too but I’ve never tried one personally. If a complete one came up cheap enough I’d probably take a punt on it.
I’ve seen afew pop up but quite often they are missing a section. How does it handle at 17ft?
I’ve no idea as I’ve only fished mine at 13 and 15. It is fine at 15.

I also have a 14ft XS and the Triaxial is hugely more powerful.

@Huanzhou Zhu
I wouldn’t pay it if it was the last one on the planet but it’s an option if you can’t travel
IMG_6267.jpeg

This is on eBay now, wish me luck

Your not seriously prepaired to pay that for one?
They arn't worth anything like that kind'a money.
If I had to choose between one of those or a speci acolyte then it would be the acolyte by a country mile, and the acolyte would cost just over 200 quid. You got 12 months guarantee with a new acolyte also.

If I had to choose between one of those or a speci acolyte then it would be the acolyte by a country mile, and the acolyte would cost just over 200 quid. You got 12 months guarantee with a new acolyte also.
No, not preparing for that sort of money at all. Maybe I will change my mind after seeing acolytes tmr.

I have a Tricast xs 14ft which if I’m planning on doing a full days trotting is my no.1 rod. It’s as light as a feather and has landed several barbel and a river carp when chub fishing. If I broke it I buy it again.

The Sphere appears to have been sold. The seller has accepted a "best offer". I'm a bit surprised that he couldn't sell it locally, where they are relatively popular. I'd guess that his asking prices will have put off all but the most keen.

I wouldn't sell my Sphere's, not even the spares, for that money. However, I wouldn't pay that much for another one.

Nooooooooooooo way.
The acolytes are nice don’t get me wrong but the spheres are on another level entirely.

IMO of course….. 😁

Nooooooooooooo way.
The acolytes are nice don’t get me wrong but the spheres are on another level entirely.

IMO of course….. 😁

The spheres deffo have better guides (imo and i'm quite sure yours also), that is the only thing that lets the acolyte rods down for me, but, because they are so good to use for my style of fishing I prefer them.
The extra backbone you get with the acolytes (both the plus and certainely the speci) gives them the edge for me.
After saying that, I am a big fan of the sphere rods.

The Sphere appears to have been sold. The seller has accepted a "best offer". I'm a bit surprised that he couldn't sell it locally, where they are relatively popular. I'd guess that his asking prices will have put off all but the most keen.

I wouldn't sell my Sphere's, not even the spares, for that money. However, I wouldn't pay that much for another one.
Still on ebay from what I can see
No original rod bag either
The Spheres are dark grey in colour, not a 'beautiful brown'.

Still on ebay from what I can see
No original rod bag either
The Spheres are dark grey in colour, not a 'beautiful brown'.
I think the seller may have messed around with the listing yesterday. When I looked it was only visible as a sold item. Definitely the same seller, from Yarm.

I have a feeling that I may own the bag for that rod. A buyer at my local bought a rod and didn't want the bag (they have a cupboard full of unwanted rod bags/sleeves). The owner of the shop knew I owned Spheres and offered it to me before it got cleared out.

The sleeves are one aspect of the Sphere rods to be wary of. Out of quite a few, I have one that is disintegrating. I have no idea why, all of the others that aren't just spares have had the same treatment. I'm now using substitute bags where possible. Still need to find someone that'll make basic cloth custom sized bags for the 13' 6" and 15' 6" that aren't a small fortune.

A set of fuji SICs or black alconites would have made the drennan acolyte rods much more desirable for me.
Seaguides are not bad and I guess cheaper than Fuji’s. A lot rod manufacturers use seaguides to bring the cost down I think.

Changing guides on a rod isn’t that hard, have you considered changing the guides on acolyte?

Seaguides are not bad and I guess cheaper than Fuji’s. A lot rod manufacturers use seaguides to bring the cost down I think.

Changing guides on a rod isn’t that hard, have you considered changing the guides on acolyte?

No doubt companies are using them to save on costs.

I don't find them to be so bad as to change them, i'd just prefer them to have been fujis.

I think the seller may have messed around with the listing yesterday. When I looked it was only visible as a sold item. Definitely the same seller, from Yarm.

I have a feeling that I may own the bag for that rod. A buyer at my local bought a rod and didn't want the bag (they have a cupboard full of unwanted rod bags/sleeves). The owner of the shop knew I owned Spheres and offered it to me before it got cleared out.

The sleeves are one aspect of the Sphere rods to be wary of. Out of quite a few, I have one that is disintegrating. I have no idea why, all of the others that aren't just spares have had the same treatment. I'm now using substitute bags where possible. Still need to find someone that'll make basic cloth custom sized bags for the 13' 6" and 15' 6" that aren't a small fortune.

Hi Chris, i know a seamstress who lives close to me, if you can give some details or pics of what you want, i could ask her for a price for you, or put you in touch with her.

No doubt companies are using them to save on costs.

I don't find them to be so bad as to change them, i'd just prefer them to have been fujis.
Seaguide are alright, there’s afew I’d chose before them obviously Fuji, Seymour, kigan. Being what i would say the best 3.

However There’s afew I’d chose after seaguides as well like minima and other frail guides without inserts that I’ve forgotten the names of now.

What you would have to be mindful of, if anyone was brave enough to change them , is the weight. A set of high stand off Fuji alcs do llook the business but they ain’t light and might even spoil or upset the weight on that rod.

Last edited:
Back